Mountain ebike ???

rogerc

1 W
I was planning on building a 26 inch wheel mountain bike using em3 Mac motor, probably a 10 or 12 wind.
Rode a 29er today and really like the comfort, size, ride etc.
Will the 700c DH 19 wheel that the Mac motor,is on work on a 29er mountain bike?
Will I be able to mount a decent size mountain bike tire on this wheel?
What is the difference between a 12T And 10T motor?
I have tried to use the ebike calculator but can find the Mac motors on the list.
Thanks
RC

What kind of riding? If it's mountain trails, get a 26" wheel instead of a 29'er. 12t for really steep hills.

But if it's street use, hills up to 7%, then nothing wrong with a 29 er.

Type of riding will be fire roads. No single tracks. I am 60 so no rough stuff. Will be some climbs that can be steep but not for very long.

Still torn between the 12t and 10t motor.
So a 29er will work but you recommend a 26, why would a 26 be better?
RC

I think you may have a hard time finding fat mountain tires for 29ers, so my vote goes for the 26er. I wouldn't MTB with a 29er because usually 29er frames are built in such a way that seem to prefer going straight, while 26ers are easier to steer (probably naturally less stable, thus easier to change direction).

Regarding 12T vs 10T, as far as I know more turns equals:
*less current draw and more torque at the same speed
*less top speed overall

Probably someone here that has a Mac could tell you how fast would a 12T or a 10T on a 26er or 29er. What I'm thinking is on a MTB you'd "prefer" to have high assist at low speed, compared to a street bike where top speed is more important. Moreover on a MTB you might want a smaller battery to steer better in tight spaces, which again indicates the better thing to be to go for a 12T 26".

29ers are great, they feel like they can roll on for ever, but they don't handle as precisely and they can't take as much abuse as a 26". Also, 26" also have a huge array of tires and rims to chose from, while 29 have far fewer choices.

I have run both, and love a 29" on a really light weight pedal bike. But on something That I plan to take through the rough, or something that will be carrying weight, I choose 26"

If you go 29er, the 12t is really the only choice for steep climbs. With a 26", the 10T starts to look like a good option for fire roads.

Back