My new 48v 30AH Chamrider Battery is shutting off at 50v

carlosebermudez said:
LOL I do have basi electricity knowledge, I have a hard time understanding complex cirquitry like what to test for on a BMS board, or how to bypass it to charge directly that one cell bank you saw on the video.

Do you have a 4.2VDC source? If so, if you have the video, this simple schematic https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0268/7529/7863/products/s-l500_6_baccf814-e5db-49c3-8cac-5efa02a3c389_2000x.jpg?v=1575057834 a voltmeter, and a couple of jumpers, should be feasible.

E-HP said:
carlosebermudez said:
LOL I do have basi electricity knowledge, I have a hard time understanding complex cirquitry like what to test for on a BMS board, or how to bypass it to charge directly that one cell bank you saw on the video.

Do you have a 4.2VDC source? If so, if you have the video, this simple schematic https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0268/7529/7863/products/s-l500_6_baccf814-e5db-49c3-8cac-5efa02a3c389_2000x.jpg?v=1575057834 a voltmeter, and a couple of jumpers, should be feasible.

The video shows it being done to a RC-Car type battery. Not sure how it would translate to these. I do have a vape battery charger... If I had to take it all apart I guess I could use that. It's 12v 1amp.

[youtube]DP1-VBNJmsg[/youtube]

carlosebermudez said:
E-HP said:
carlosebermudez said:

The video shows it being done to a RC-Car type battery. Not sure how it would translate to these. I do have a vape battery charger... If I had to take it all apart I guess I could use that. It's 12v 1amp.

[youtube]DP1-VBNJmsg[/youtube]

First, I'm no expert on batteries, BMS and lipos but I have basic electricity knowledge and can read the schematic. Think of that lipo battery as a 4S pack (which it is). If you look at the connector in the video, it has 5 wires, for 4 cells. Now look at the schematic. That is for a 14S pack. The BMS connector is disconnected in the schematic. The connector has 15 wires, for the 14 cells on the right. There's always one more wire than the number of series groups. When you charge a lipo, the charger acts like the BMS, and the 5 wire balance connector also plugs into the charger, in addition to the + and = connections, since the charger, like the BMS, uses them for balancing.

So I decided to hack the battery and charge it like the guy did on the video. It's not that difficult, but I'm gonna have to babysit the charge all night.

The plan is to charge the 13th cell as high as possible, as close to 4.19v, then ride the bike to discharge the pack. After that, I'm going to charge the bad cell to match the other voltages as close as I can and let the BMS do the rest of the charge. Should have discharged it first but I was too anxious to start fixing it.

-----UPDATE------
It's been charging for 24 hours with an old 4.5vdc 1amp cellphone charger and it has gone from 3.49 to 4.1. Crossing fingers.

carlosebermudez said:
Crossing fingers.

Did anything come of this Carlos, what has been your experience of the Chamrider battery since that post? Has anyone else had experience of them recently? They've been advertising some deals on Aliexpress in recent weeks which feel suspiciously good-value, such as the Samsung 12.4ah 36v for £105 shipped or 12.4ah 48v for £129 shipped at a time when there's supposed to be an acute 18650 cell shortage, and Fogstar UK observe:

There is currently a severe international battery shortage and reserve stocks have been depleted. Most manufacturers have had to cease production of their cells due to Coronavirus. [...] We have also seen footage of several Chinese factories on fire, as they rush to create fake/rewrapped batteries due to the current demand. We've also seen evidence of several large 're-wrapping' companies ordering Samsung 'top caps' to be placed on top of cheaper Chinese batteries. Please remain vigilant.

So I hope you got a good one and made it work. I feel for the *sits up straight, looks at camera* ebike community it might be useful to understand what's going on with these oddly cheap batteries. Thanks.

Dont rely on these GUI interfaces

Check battery with good multimeter
Check load with good inline ameter, wattmeter

Buy a voltmeter, standalone and wire it into the battery direct

Do we know if ChamRider is legitimate yet? There is little information about them when you search them up online.

Back