Need Help Planning a 2-person Off-Road Go Kart system

VinyVidi...

1 µW
Hi, I've been lurking through this site for a bit now but this is my first post, I hope it's in the right place:

My little sister's birthday is right near christmas and I want to get her a combined bday\xmas present that's worthy of the joint celelbration. Since she's a tweener I think she'll get a kick out of an offroad electric go-kart and who am I kidding, I will too. I've been looking into and reading up on battery\electric systems but I am a total newb at all of this really. My diy claim to fame so far is putting together computers from ordered parts online, I know this is going to be tougher.

First, the system I'm thinking of putting together so far:

I was thinking a 48volt setup. 48v should be able to competently propel a 2 person go-kart right? Picture of the proposed chassis to follow, but I figure it's a 200 lb. chassis with electric motor and batteries installed right? The most it'd ever ask to pull are two adults at 400lbs. so I figure a 600lbs. maximum with a usual 300 or 400lb. load. And while I'm sure a 72V system would deliver even better performance I'm trying to shoot for that sweet spot of enjoyment and affordability, it seems the 72 volt systems just start getting really expensive, upwards of $4,000.

The problem I'm running into, and I'm sure there will be more, is that I'm getting worried that the project is looking more and more expensive\out of my level of comprehension, first the motor:

-In keeping with my 48v setup I need to choose the right motor, and this is probably where I'm the most open to suggestion, there are just so many different kinds of electric motors. I am scared away from brushed because of the maintenance\efficiency problems however the only brushless system I've found is far too expensive.

-At first I was looking at E-bike motors, such as this: http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/...8mm-05t-chain-sprocket-my1020&channelid=FROOG but then I realized that 1000W is only 1.25 hp which is grossly underpowered no? I mean I love the price point, if there's a way this thing or something like it can power my setup I'm all for it but it doesn't seem so.

-I've now found 48v 100A continuous 300A pk. electric motors which translate out to 6hp cont. and 18hp peak, and they even come in full kits which is exactly what I want! Except that they come out to $1200+ brushed and $1800+ brushless which is waaaaay more than I was looking to spend. http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_ev_parts_kits.php

-So I'm hoping you guys know of some sort of solution to this goldilocks problem, whether it's a product with a price point more in between $100 and $1200 or a used brushless motor?

-Also found golf cart setups but they seem too expensive/not correct fits for offroad heavy torque low speed setup priorities I have.

-I've been dying to use some of those cylindrical A123 batteries, so that's one of the few areas I'm not planning on compromising on, but "cell_man" seems to be away on vacation for a month and hasn't gotten back to me yet. Are there anyother sources? I would really need an already packaged setup complete with a battery management system, ordering individual cells is way out of my league.

I'm looking into purchasing one of these two used frames, one seems about as good as the other so far:

5W65S35R53oe3p53lbbak8436b6a57f5412b2.jpg

5Y35Q65W43n03k93o7bb14f8ebb6bd7281542.jpg

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.

-Also found golf cart setups but they seem too expensive/not correct fits for offroad heavy torque low speed setup priorities I have.

Isnt a golf kart designed specifically for "off road , high torque, low speed" ,..use ? :shock:
I would hunt down a scrap golf kart /parts. :wink:
...or maybe even just use a complete Golf kart ! :lol:

or this may be of interest ..http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=33674

With your budget I would suggest building your sister an e-bike
As there is no way, unless someone gives you ALOT of free stuff
You well get an offroad go cart you will be happy with for 1200
or less...batteries alone for a vehicle of this size will be over your budget
If your wanting to use A123 cells...like wise with motor worth using.

KiM

AussieJester said:
You well get an offroad go cart you will be happy with for 1200
or less...batteries alone for a vehicle of this size will be over your budget
If your wanting to use A123 cells...like wise with motor worth using.
KiM

I think you are pretty accurate on this, I started my Racing Go-Kart project expecting to spend about 3-4k in total, I am going to hit the 10k mark soon just in parts etc, motor 800$, controller 500$, batteries $5k Go-Kart frame and etc $650, go kart front brake system $1000, go kart American Conversion $1500(making everything american(bolt patterns and etc)).

I am telling you honestly, 1200 is almost impossible.

Back