• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Need some help. Bafang Bpm 500W/48V factory cables

lc_60

1 mW
I've seen much conversions where people say that use 48 or more volts and 30 or more amps. Talking to an electrician about the Bafang Bpm 500w/48v motor cable (3 x 1.5 mm) to support those current he said that it won't support 15 amp, max 10 amp. In that case i can't use my 48v/15 amp battery. But if I think to change the cable to 3 x 2.5 mm as he sugested it won't pass through the hole in the dropout axis of the rear motor or the hole in the side of the axis in the front motor. The cable from factory has 6 mm and a cable with 3x2.5 has 9 mm. How can I make to use my 48v/15 amp battery without loosing power and without problems?

Thanks in advance

Forget your electrician. He's thinking house current, not phase current. There's never a constant max current to the phase wires as there's only current on 2 at the same time. Yes, larger wires would be better, but with a 48v 15A controller you won't have a problem at all. FWIW, I've put 30A though a much smaller wire (24awg, 0.51mm).

Exactly right, but really you shoud be putting no more than about 800w into that thing, such as a 15 amp controller, not 1500w.

Bet a nice 30 amps of 48v continous for a fairly long ride will toast the insides of that bafang motor though. Well, at least with me abusing it up some hill it would. The wires will be ok as explained above, 60% of the time, the current to any one phase wire is off.

Ok,

Thank you for your explanations. In Portugal theres no technical information about how to function an e-bike, so I've no other way to take my doubts away.Here theres still no e-bike market and few people buy the e-bikes new as they are from factory and don't even think to change anything.

Thank you very much

Back