New Bafang Crank-Drives

If I then add the shipping costs from the US to Switzerland... :shock: I want it directly from china, many others from all over the world will as well.

I can legally ride it up to 45kph, if I register it. Simple process if it's only for personal use / no resale. But: PAS only, throttle topspeed must be limited to 30kph. As long as I cannot set these values by myself (without any tacho tuning tricks, that's just silly on a new unit, driven within spec) I won't be able to register it.

I'm pretty sure the Chinese don't understand such things, as they most likely do not have such strict regulations.

Cheers

Yeah, If you buying from USA and then shipping out of the USA, you are basically paying for shipping twice. Probably better to just buy direct from a Chinese Vendor at that point. I have heard that Amy at AliExpress can custom program the BBS0x units as well.

m4s73r said:
And I agree on not buying one till I can configure it. Of course that will proly make lectriccyles lose sales. Right now that is why he can charge 300 bucks more for the unit then if you just bought a normal one from BMS or Aliexpress. (and some users have been getting units with the speed limiter removed from alixpress anyway).

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this myself but by the time you pay shipping from china which is right around $100 from most of the sellers I've seen and then any customs charges you might get nailed for it's really not that much more expensive to get it from him.

According to em3ev's site they're planning on charging around $500 for the 36v version. With shipping alone that will put it right up there.

teslanv said:
Add the shipping costs from China, and lectriccycles is not that bad of a deal, and I got my unit in a couple days, as opposed to waiting several weeks. - And apparently he is selling them well, because he now has a 3-4 week backlog again.
I am curious what lcrewse's sales figures are for these units.

485 shipped (amy's) vs 750 shipped is enough for me to wait a few weeks. lol. Especially with a 3-4 week backlog.

EVTodd said:
m4s73r said:
And I agree on not buying one till I can configure it. Of course that will proly make lectriccyles lose sales. Right now that is why he can charge 300 bucks more for the unit then if you just bought a normal one from BMS or Aliexpress. (and some users have been getting units with the speed limiter removed from alixpress anyway).

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this myself but by the time you pay shipping from china which is right around $100 from most of the sellers I've seen and then any customs charges you might get nailed for it's really not that much more expensive to get it from him.

According to em3ev's site they're planning on charging around $500 for the 36v version. With shipping alone that will put it right up there.

I havent bought a lot of stuff from china but so far everything i have ive never been charged any custom taxes.

m4s73r said:
teslanv said:
Add the shipping costs from China, and lectriccycles is not that bad of a deal, and I got my unit in a couple days, as opposed to waiting several weeks. - And apparently he is selling them well, because he now has a 3-4 week backlog again.
I am curious what lcrewse's sales figures are for these units.

485 shipped (amy's) vs 750 shipped is enough for me to wait a few weeks. lol. Especially with a 3-4 week backlog.

Is she giving you a deal on shipping? It's showing a total of $562 when I look.

m4s73r said:
I havent bought a lot of stuff from china but so far everything i have ive never been charged any custom taxes.

I've been charged a couple of times. They don't usually care too much about cheaper items but I'm pretty sure you'll get a bill from something this expensive. Remember that you don't always get the bill right away either. It's taken up to two weeks before I've seen it.

Actually, out of curiosity, has anyone here in the USA purchased this kit from China and been nailed with customs yet?

EVTodd asked
Actually, out of curiosity, has anyone here in the USA purchased this kit from China and been nailed with customs yet?

Yep, I purchased a BBS02 from BMS Battery, along with a rear battery pack and rack. The customs charge was quite small, don't remember how much now, but then they tacked on a "broker" and some other fee that was a lot higher then the actual customs charge.

I just paid it, but with the extra high shipping charge to start with, I would go with the domestic USA supplier if I was to do it again. Plus you have some better options available if you want them. One reason the shipping was so high was because of the Lithium battery and it could only be shipped using their most expensive shipper at that time.

teslanv said:

Main difference between the displays:
963 shows Watts and 961 does not.
961 looks to have more PAS assist settings, but I think 9 is too many.
961 looks to have a dual clamp mount - to go over headstem, 961 looks to have a single clamp mount and maybe slightly smaller display?

Both manuals indicate that the speed limit can be adjusted between 12km/hr and 40km/hr but I'm assuming there is another limiter somewhere on the motor/controller itself as some motors are actually stamped with 'speed limit 25km/hr' and thus need dealer software to adjust?

nioko said:
If I then add the shipping costs from the US to Switzerland... :shock: I want it directly from china, many others from all over the world will as well.

I can legally ride it up to 45kph, if I register it. Simple process if it's only for personal use / no resale. But: PAS only, throttle topspeed must be limited to 30kph. As long as I cannot set these values by myself (without any tacho tuning tricks, that's just silly on a new unit, driven within spec) I won't be able to register it.

Nioko,
I'm not sure that the problem you anticipate is a real one. The BBS01 I purchased came from GBK, China to Australia around 10 days with no customs taxes etc.
It has:
- any combination of user configurable PAS and throttle power or assist settings up to '9' (maximum)
- any speed limit up to 50km/h in 1km/h increments.

Does this level of user adaptability not meet your requirements? The 36V/250W unit is certainly modestly powered but it's quite adequate for my commuting purposes. I have installed it on a Moulton TSR and the main issue I face with the 48T chainwheel is being unable to maintain a reasonable cadence at maximum speeds in both PAS and throttle modes - I just 'spin out'. I will be trying a larger chainwheel - a 56T I have and then maybe a 60T.

The only problems I've encountered with the unit itself have been a small incompatibility issue with the TSR (solved temporarily with a small spacer at the BB and permanently with a grinder) and an issue with a throttle clamp being missing which I'm working on with GBK.

Thus far I feel the BBS01 is a fabulous product.

Savvas.

Rassy said:
EVTodd asked

Yep, I purchased a BBS02 from BMS Battery, along with a rear battery pack and rack. The customs charge was quite small, don't remember how much now, but then they tacked on a "broker" and some other fee that was a lot higher then the actual customs charge.

I just paid it, but with the extra high shipping charge to start with, I would go with the domestic USA supplier if I was to do it again. Plus you have some better options available if you want them. One reason the shipping was so high was because of the Lithium battery and it could only be shipped using their most expensive shipper at that time.

Thats interesting. So i wonder if the charges are based on weight? or a dollar limit amount?

I bought some glass smoking accessories from amsterdam and have never gotten a bill. I think my largest one time purchase was ~$600.

samsavvas said:
Nioko,
I'm not sure that the problem you anticipate is a real one. The BBS01 I purchased came from GBK, China to Australia around 10 days with no customs taxes etc.
It has:
- any combination of user configurable PAS and throttle power or assist settings up to '9' (maximum)
- any speed limit up to 50km/h in 1km/h increments.

Savvas.

Samsavvas, honestly I'm not sure if it is, I don't know if it's possible to set a lower throttle top speed then pas top speed!?
On the other hand, if I'd go for such a unit (which is quiet pricy if you ask me) I would want to have maximum flexibility, I mean I would buy this, because I do not want anything proprietary. Otherwise, I could just buy a Bosch.

I think there's two kind of customers on these units:
1. The DIY customer, who buys the unit, because he knows what he wants, he most likely wants maximum flexibility.
2. The LBS, who wants to offer something that is not present on the market. He will sell it as a complete Bike to a customer who is most likely not willing to fiddle with the settings in detail.

Honestly I would never buy one of these in a complete bike, as long as I could also buy a bike that has a Bosch installed. I just don't think It's on the same level (cranks, way it is mounted to the frame....).

BTW. can you disable some of the PAS and levels settings from the console?
If I were to set it up, it would probably have three levels:

PAS:
Level 1: Moderate support, up to 28kph (for range)
Level 2: Moderate support, up to 45kph (for range / speed)
Level 3: Full support, up to 45kph (for speed, my daily commute)

Throttle:
Level 1: Full power, up to 30kph (just to boost away, 30kph for legal reasons) Using a push button as Keppler doeas.

I want to suggest that you guys are making this all way too complicated. All you really need is an on/off button for full throttle. You have GEARS to set the assist level. I have a twist throttle, but would be just as happy with an on/off button. I pedal a few strokes in 1st, and twist WOT. Then I get off and on the throttle again as I run through the gears. I do this fast enough that it is essentially an on/off button. If I want to pull 450 watts, I shift up until my CA shows 450 watts. From riding over 12K miles, I know that if I want to average 10-11 Wh/mile I don't use power past 6th gear. If I want to average 8-9 Wh/mile I don't use power past 4th gear. This is not rocket science.

Warren, I'll be riding through traffic with it. I want a bike, but be faster. If I would want a scooter, I'd go for a scooter, throttle really is not what I want.

And for legal Reasons, it needs to be PAS for anything over 30kph in Switzerland anyway. I want this to be legal, I'll be riding 5000km/year through lots of traffic, with lots of police as well (working at the airport).

nioko,

I think you can get exactly what you desire by going to the advanced settings and reducing the maximum speed to whatever your laws allow. - whether that is 25 k/h or 50 k/h.

So no matter which PAS assist level you choose, it will cease to assist past a certain speed. - The Throttle should also follow this speed limit if you choose to use it, or chose not to install the throttle at all, and only use the PAS. And all of this IS user adjustable.

nioko,

"I want a bike, but be faster. If I would want a scooter, I'd go for a scooter, throttle really is not what I want."

Having a throttle doesn't make it a scooter. Not pedaling, and pulling high amps makes it a scooter. I don't have freewheeling cranks. Any time the bike is powered, I am pedaling. Because I like to ride for hours at a time, I don't pull high amps. I ride it like a bicycle.

"And for legal Reasons, it needs to be PAS for anything over 30 kph in Switzerland anyway."

I get that. We have similar rules here. Since I am always pedaling, and never riding faster than a strong athlete could ride (but I can do it for 100 miles) the police don't give me a second look.

hoka said:
I had a Bafang technician over yesterday, he reprogrammed my BBS2 for throttle use and removed the speed limit WITHOUT the use of a computer. So it is possible to do these things without the special software.

If someone figures out how to make a cable to connect it to a computer, I do have the software now

Well there is some exciting news 8)

hoka said:
I had a Bafang technician over yesterday, he reprogrammed my BBS2 for throttle use and removed the speed limit WITHOUT the use of a computer. So it is possible to do these things without the special software.

If someone figures out how to make a cable to connect it to a computer, I do have the software now

Hoka,

What kind of file format is the software? Wanna share with the rest of us?

Back