• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

New build questions

presturtle

10 mW
So i have an idea for a lightweight/stealth build, and I'm wondering if it will work and give me what I want.
150lb rider, 25mph max speed, 6-12mile range, very flat commute (commute is only ~4 miles round trip, but i'd like a little more for the safe side)

I was thinking I'd try the bafang SWXH 250w rear hub that I saw Kepler use in his build, my plan is to over volt to 48V and use 10 amps for 480watts. I have milled over the idea of Lipo for a few days and have decided that in my current situation the safety is kinda a turn off, especially since i'm new to this.

This brings about the question of any other safe alternatives to Lipo other than Lifepo4? I have a pack picked out on Hobby king that is 6s 4500mAh. With 2 of those in series that will give me the voltage I need with hopefully the range I need. I have heard people say the HK Lifepo4's are bad because of voltage sag, but under 10A ~500Watt power will I really feel it/what will be the effect?

So what do you guys think, will this set up work for the range and max speed? If not, any alternatives for a light weight kit without going for lipo.

Also if anyone knew of any websites or vendors that sell the SWXH motor kit with wheel either in the USA or low shipping here it would be appreciated. I think Green bike kits sells one for $122, but i'd rather not spend ~$140 in shipping if I can get it closer.
Thanks!

if you're in the USA, please fill in your profile location. Ref:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66302

presturtle said:
This brings about the question of any other safe alternatives to Lipo other than Lifepo4?

For your modest energy and power requirements, you could easily get a lithium ion bottle battery with 18650 cells that would do the job. A lithium manganese pack is another option.

wesnewell said:
if you're in the USA, please fill in your profile location. Ref:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66302
Oops, I put United States when I registered and thought it would be visible. Fixed it.

I know of no US distributors of the SWXH, but I found them on Ebay. First hit was a bare motor for $90 + $60 shipping. There may be more.

With a super light weight motor like that, your battery choices open up. since they don't pull many amps, batteries that would be passed up for other motors may work just fine for that motor. Greenbike sells some cheap batteries and the shipping cost of combining the order would be much less than shipping individual parts from various places.

presturtle said:
So i have an idea for a lightweight/stealth build, and I'm wondering if it will work and give me what I want.
150lb rider, 25mph max speed, 6-12mile range, very flat commute (commute is only ~4 miles round trip, but i'd like a little more for the safe side)

I was thinking I'd try the bafang SWXH 250w rear hub that I saw Kepler use in his build, my plan is to over volt to 48V and use 10 amps for 480watts. I have milled over the idea of Lipo for a few days and have decided that in my current situation the safety is kinda a turn off, especially since i'm new to this.

This brings about the question of any other safe alternatives to Lipo other than Lifepo4? I have a pack picked out on Hobby king that is 6s 4500mAh. With 2 of those in series that will give me the voltage I need with hopefully the range I need. I have heard people say the HK Lifepo4's are bad because of voltage sag, but under 10A ~500Watt power will I really feel it/what will be the effect?

So what do you guys think, will this set up work for the range and max speed? If not, any alternatives for a light weight kit without going for lipo.
The Bafang is kinda "old skool" these days.
In the last year or two, myself and others have really zeroed in on the optimal mini-kit that incorprorates stealth, value and performance.
The motor is the Q100H (Cute), frt mounted from either BMS Battery or E Life Bike. The Cute is smaller than the Bafang w/ equal power potential.
You have to order the componates from either of the two mentioned Vendors in China, but if you order everything from one source the shipping isn't bad. Besides, it's the overall cost that matters. Sometimes, it is best to order some stuff from one, and other things from the other. It depends on which controller is used, which, in turn depends on factors like Voltage, where is the controller will be located(in the breeze or in a bag) and the builders level of expertise.
We go with frt. mounts because, currently, there are no rear mount mini's in the speed range you desire, that will accept a Cassette, You would have to use something called a DNP free wheel, which is heavy and not that great a shifter.
Here is a recent link where Chridder and I are working out the details of a Q100H build:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55477&hilit=q100h&start=100
It's not easy the have a stealth battery when Lipo is out of the picture. Your best bet is Li-on and instead of the latest "dolphin" style, you could use the older "water Bottle" style. It's still too big to be considered stealth, but most people won't make the connection.
If this sounds like a route you might want to take, give me details of the donor bike and we can go over which controller and how to do the details for max stealth.

You can't get enough power for 25 mph out of the aluminium bottle batteries. You need the black plastic flat type with proper branded cells.

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/684-48v116ah-bottle-09-panasonic-battery-charger-battery.html

BMSB do that same battery with a 20A sine-wave controller, LCD, throttle and PAS, so you only need to add the motor of your choice.

Okay, just to double check, if I order this motor linked and the battery from BMSB, I won't need anything else besides torque arm? As far as I can tell the battery has a controller built in, and it comes with the LCD, throttle, and all wiring I would need to connect everything?

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/632-q100h-36v350w-front-e-bike-motor-wheel-ebike-kit.html#/rpm-260

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/680-48v116ah-bottle-09-panasonic-battery-pack-battery.html#/color-white

Also, one more thing, should I order the torque arms from BMS as well since it won't increase my shipping?

That's just a motor and a battery. I don't think that motor even comes with a rim, but you can probably get one with it at an extra cost. the battery comes with a bms and a small 180W charger. I'm not sure if there's really a suitable controller with it or not, even though it says there is. Besides these, you need a throttle, ebrakes, possibly a controller, and some misc. connectors and wiring. Good luck.

Back