New to the e-Bikes! pls help choose a hub motor

John in CR said:
wesnewell said:
Carmageddon said:
Ok, looking a bit around now that I know what to look for (a bit - cheap, non-geared).
I found this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brushless-Hub-Motor-48V-500W-for-Rear-Wheel-e-bike-e-bicycle-ebike-electric-bicycle-electric/550848605.html

Is that good for start? it has a lot of specs and yet nothing about top speed... also in the pictures I dont see holes for spokes?
No. It's not enough motor for what you want. This ones about the same price but will give you lots more power and speed.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Brushless-Hub-Motor-48V-1000W-for-Rear-Wheel/448253504.html

That thing doesn't even achieve 80% max efficiency according to their own test report, and 24 Nm max torque....what a total piece of crap that motor is. Look at the spindly phase wires...no wonder they only wanted to feed it with 24A. While it might be passable to cruise around at 30kph as an ebike motor, this gentleman wants to get on the highway and do 80kph. LOL!
Well, it sure as hell is better than the 500W motor. And it will do about 70kph. That's all I was saying. If he wants 80kph, he should get a hubzilla motor or adapt a scooter motor. I don't know where you get 24A. I give mine 40A with 24s lipo fully charged to 100.8V. 4000W. I guess he could go to 30s lipo and get 80kph, but I wouldn't run it long at that speed.

Carmageddon said:
Ok... can you give me an example of specs which I should be looking for then, while there? I still dont understand which of the spec data I should look at to figure out whether it fits the bill even for short 60kph cruising...
You can cruise at 60kph for roughly 25km with the 1000W motor before it starts to over heat. I wouldn't run it at 70kph for more than 5 minutes to be safe. I guess that's about 5km. Maybe you should consider this motor.
http://greyborgusa.com/products/motors/hubzilla/

I think the horse left that barn about a month ago, for him to get what he wants, to the place he'll be, in time.

He's just got to find something, anything, localy when he gets there. I think it's already too late for him to have something shipped from anywhere, to anywhere.

What he NEEDS, is somebody else flying later to bring him a cromotor. ( google greyborg e bike) But it's not happening this trip.

Meanwhile, if he can find a hubmotor when he gets there, even something used and nonfuctioning, then we can help him repair it, and get it up to 60 kph easily.

dogman said:
I think the horse left that barn about a month ago, for him to get what he wants, to the place he'll be, in time.

He's just got to find something, anything, localy when he gets there. I think it's already too late for him to have something shipped from anywhere, to anywhere.

What he NEEDS, is somebody else flying later to bring him a cromotor. ( google greyborg e bike) But it's not happening this trip.

Meanwhile, if he can find a hubmotor when he gets there, even something used and nonfuctioning, then we can help him repair it, and get it up to 60 kph easily.

Really? even non-functioning, you'd be able to help get it up and running?
I consider myself a technical person (high tech), but less so in the mechanical aspect of figuring out things..

EDIT: also, those things weight quite a lot - economy class is allowed about 25kg in baggage, will be hard to ask people to sacrifice about 1/5 of their allotment to take this thing :)

There is a Tongxin roller motor dealer in Israel but I cannot remember the name. They import the little front wheel motor but may be able to help getting a bigger one. 80 kph is really quite fast on a bicycle. Just sayin'.
otherDoc

Yes, the typical failure of a hubmotor is easy to fix. Often it's just a cut wire at the hub, or a bad hall sensor inside. But sometimes a motor is cooked. A cooked motor is easy to diagnose though, If the motor resistst really hard when you try to turn the axle it might be cooked. A good motor will resist more if you touch one of the big wires to the other big wire. So if it gets harder to trun when you touch two big wires, then easier again when you seperate them, then the windings are verly likely ok.

You might get lucky, and find a nonfuntioning motor when you get there. Luckier still if you can find a supplier of a good new motor close enough to ship there in time. Like one in the same country that could fed ex it.

I just think the time has passed for getting it all the way from china.

Are you positive you can't get one shipped to you from china? They don't send it labeled, "illegally high powered ebike motor" Generally the box just says "toys" and gives a value 1/10 what you paid when we get this stuff shipped the the USA.

If you bought a bare motor, they may be clueless what the heck it is as it passes through. Just some kind of motor to them.

Worth a bit of cash to try mabe?

What about a package sent by a private party? Declared a gift. Buy a used motor from somebody?

dogman said:
Are you positive you can't get one shipped to you from china? They don't send it labeled, "illegally high powered ebike motor" Generally the box just says "toys" and gives a value 1/10 what you paid when we get this stuff shipped the the USA.

If you bought a bare motor, they may be clueless what the heck it is as it passes through. Just some kind of motor to them.

Worth a bit of cash to try mabe?

Well I spoke to a blogger who tried, he says awareness has raised on this issue.
And anyway its quite expensive thing to bet on.. its not some 50$ thing to chance and see if it passes through.

What do you mean by "touch one of the big wires to the other big wire"? and what is a hall sensor? I saw a lot of this on the malfunctioning list that was linked on first page, so thought to stay clear of this...

Another option is checking in Romania - it is not far from Moldova, if I cant find something acceptable in Moldova, might try in Romania then.

EDIT: if that doesnt work, will have time to properly think, choose one and try it when I get back...
Also even from chineese, shipping is very expensive for 6-7kg item.

6-7kg item? I thought you wanted something to get on the highway, and the only thing in that weight range will be a giant and expensive R/C motor that spins at very high rpm, sounds it, and requires a 2 stage reduction to drive the wheel.

You never did give me an idea of wheel size limits or your metal working capacity. Is this bike looking enough for you?....It does 105kph on the highway with a fresh charge to 83V, sagging to 74-75V at WOT by the time I get the 4km to and on the highway, and running conservatively it slaughters cars and most motorcycles with 115kg me aboard from a stoplight up to about 80kph. Imagine what it would do with a lighter rider.
SuperV with Hubmonster HE b.JPG

If you want to mess with a chain and have some metal working capacity, here's the much smaller cheaper Mini-Monster modded for mid-drive use that is currently geared for only 73kph on 74V nominal with fat me aboard, and with that small battery has a solid 10kph range in stop-n-go riding (double that with a battery that fits almost invisible between the fork crowns.. and in low will climb grades that cars have real trouble with even in 1st gear, but this is simply a direct chain and 2 sprockets. Only the motor has a slow speed setting, and once I move rear end of the shock mount to retain the geometry with a 26" wheel in back, it will be the kind of ebike Dogman has wet dreams about, though it's great on the street right now with my heavy load.
Wahoo with MiniMonster mid drive as tested.JPG

I have no doubt I can get a motor to you at home right through customs that will achieve exactly what you want, though if you wanted the big one, then with shipping we'd be bumping against your price limit to wait, though the big one runs at 15kw peak with less than $250 in controllers.

When you want real performance, sacrificing it up front is only a good idea if you know you have a ready market for an ebike that will end up a toy in comparison, though there's a lot to be said for the learning involved on the first one. You won't have anyone else who would take the risk of getting thru Customs like I would.

John

John in CR said:
6-7kg item? I thought you wanted something to get on the highway, and the only thing in that weight range will be a giant and expensive R/C motor that spins at very high rpm, sounds it, and requires a 2 stage reduction to drive the wheel.

You never did give me an idea of wheel size limits or your metal working capacity. Is this bike looking enough for you?....It does 105kph on the highway with a fresh charge to 83V, sagging to 74-75V at WOT by the time I get the 4km to and on the highway, and running conservatively it slaughters cars and most motorcycles with 115kg me aboard from a stoplight up to about 80kph. Imagine what it would do with a lighter rider.
View attachment 1

I have no doubt I can get a motor to you at home right through customs that will achieve exactly what you want, though if you wanted the big one, then with shipping we'd be bumping against your price limit to wait, though the big one runs at 15kw peak with less than $250 in controllers.

When you want real performance, sacrificing it up front is only a good idea if you know you have a ready market for an ebike that will end up a toy in comparison, though there's a lot to be said for the learning involved on the first one. You won't have anyone else who would take the risk of getting thru Customs like I would.

John

Well, I very much like the first ebike description! In the pictures it looks small and poor, but if it does what you say it does, its awesome :)

I am back from Moldova, and I did a thorough (re)search in the capital city - apparently its not imported anywhere as there is little to no demand there for such stuff - understandable, when you can buy for 700$ a scooter which officially says 50CC engine (meaning no license required to drive it there), while unofficially it has 200CC engine :twisted:

John, what do you mean that you can get a motor to me at home right through customs? are you flying to Israel sometime?
I will most likely be flying to Canada (Toronto) in April.. but meanwhile, I have stumbled across another opportunity here in Israel - a friend met someone who (I don't know how yet..) brought in 2 e-bikes into the country - brand new, which reach about 40km/hr (so he says, I didn't see them yet), and each costs about 1000 USD.

The pictures are attached - what do you think of them? The way I look at it, a Hub Motor costs about 600$, controller+ Batteries even more... so maybe a good deal for starters?

Can you identify the models, what is their real cost, upgradeability?

Back