New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

Does anyone know how I can do a standalone calibration of the torque sensor out of the motor without being connected to the controller? For example, with only a multimeter and not via the firmware & display?

I had a read of the wiki for both how it works and how to perform the firmware based calibration procedure.
https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/How-TSDZ2-torque-sensor-works
https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/How-to-calibrate-the-torque-sensor

After I've set up the induction coils properly, do I then just hook it up with a multimeter in series and measure the current? What voltage supply should I for this? And what reading should I be aiming for as a baseline?

famichiki said:
jeff.page.rides said:
Thank You for your reply!
We did add some silicone between the 2 cases where the wires go through the case.
I will try to find a USA Bearing supplier to order these from.
In my case would you suggest any of the double bearings?

I can't see how they would fit or what benefit they would have. Normally in a gearbox situation you'd use an oil lubricated open bearing with no shields and have a separate rotary shaft seal to stop the fluid escaping. But there's not even any space to fit a seal here.

Sorry I wasn't clear on where the double bearings would go. I realize there's no room for double bearings on the small gear shaft. I was asking about double bearing setups for all the other bearings everyone else is doubling up, why I am Ordering Bearings
Thanks Jeff

famichiki said:
Does anyone know how I can do a standalone calibration of the torque sensor out of the motor without being connected to the controller? ....
Stancecoke has written something about that on the German pedelec-forum.

famichiki said:
Does it do it in all gears? Is your chain line and chain condition good? Do the cranks rotate smoothly with the motor off or do you feel any tightness within the motor?

Can you lift the back wheel off the ground and see if walk mode still does it? Do you have a throttle you could try too?

Did you try spinning the electric motor spindle by hand when it was out, and was it smooth?

Did you inspect the blue gear for either of the bearings spinning inside it? Since it's happening with both your blue gears that would be unlikely though. I can't see on the photos, but do you have the circlip between the blue gear and the pinion gear?

Yes, it happens in all gears, my chain line is good, the chain is brand new. Cranks rotate smoothly.

Walk assist work fine without any weird sounds even when I'm on a bike.

I've tried to connect electric motor without putting it into the housing and used walk assist and the spindle is spinning nicely without any sounds. I'm also able to spin it by hand and it spins smoothly.

I inspected blue gear and it looks fine. I also didn't forget the washer between blue gear and the motor.

I can't think of anything else what to check... :confused:

Andrew707 said:
famichiki said:
Does it do it in all gears? Is your chain line and chain condition good? Do the cranks rotate smoothly with the motor off or do you feel any tightness within the motor?

Can you lift the back wheel off the ground and see if walk mode still does it? Do you have a throttle you could try too?

Did you try spinning the electric motor spindle by hand when it was out, and was it smooth?

Did you inspect the blue gear for either of the bearings spinning inside it? Since it's happening with both your blue gears that would be unlikely though. I can't see on the photos, but do you have the circlip between the blue gear and the pinion gear?

Yes, it happens in all gears, my chain line is good, the chain is brand new. Cranks rotate smoothly.

I've tried to connect electric motor without putting it into the housing and used walk assist and the spindle is spinning nicely without any sounds. I'm also able to spin it by hand and it spins smoothly.

I inspected blue gear and it looks fine. I also didn't forget the washer between blue gear and the motor.

If your crank and bottom bracket spindal has just a little bit of play its moving and the chain rubs on the power assist? There is the big o ring or seal between the chainring and case is it in place correctly? That also can make noise.

Andrew707 said:

I'm not that mechanical (have been learning a lot about bearings from this thread!) but my guess is you have over greased one of your sprag clutches (one way bearings) and it is slipping under load. See this video (similar sound and they reference a slipping sprag clutch)

Here is the thread https://www.emtbforums.com/community/threads/sprag-clutch-failure-updated-title-and-how-common-is-it.11961/
and a good video of the issue - https://youtu.be/72JdemqjQ3w

Actually just had another thought. Are you able to keep it under load? Or use a throttle to make sure it isn't the torque sensor or pas reading dropping out and that sound is the motor suddenly cutting in and out?

Cheers

mctubster said:
Andrew707 said:

I'm not that mechanical (have been learning a lot about bearings from this thread!) but my guess is you have over greased one of your sprag clutches (one way bearings) and it is slipping under load. See this video (similar sound and they reference a slipping sprag clutch)

https://youtu.be/72JdemqjQ3w

Good video, it sounds very similar.

I thought Andrew had cleaned the grease off the roller clutch bearing in the blue gear, or did you only clean the reduction shaft? Did you test spin the blue gear on the reduction shaft by hand to ensure it locks in one direction and spins freely in the other? Give it a bit of force to make sure there's no slippage.

Is there any abnormal wear on the reduction shaft where the roller bearing sits?

Can you feel any slipping when you pedal under assist or is it simply an annoying noise?

It shouldn't be the larger sprag clutch as that only affects the engagement of the crank arms when pedalling for human input and freewheeling, and besides you didn't originally do anything to that side. But then again, this is all a bit weird.

Is there any grease inside roller bearing at all? Did you add it or was it originally there? If so, perhaps consider sacrificing one of your blue gears as an experiment.

Pop the end 609RS ball bearing out, it should easily come out by hand. Then try to tap out the HF1216 roller bearing using a socket to see if it slips out too. It sits inside a splined metal retainer which should stay inside the blue gear, so if you don't support it properly that may come out instead. You should know pretty quickly if the bearing is fixed in there properly if it doesn't budge.

But, if the roller bearing is fixed firmly and if there is any grease inside yours then try to thoroughly clean it out using degreaser (preferably citrus) or kerosene etc and a toothbrush. The worry here is that any solvent may weaken the blue gear but at least you can rule out the roller clutch slipping for now.

Elinx said:
famichiki said:
Does anyone know how I can do a standalone calibration of the torque sensor out of the motor without being connected to the controller? ....
Stancecoke has written something about that on the German pedelec-forum.

Thank you for the link, I wonder if I can call Stancecoke to this discusson like this.

Stancecoke said:
@Stancecoke

He wrote that the sensor varies the current between 14mA (AC) and a maximum of 22mA when a magnet is artificially introduced. Does the factory magnet still has an influence at rest?

Stancecoke, do you know what your 14mA reading translated to when measured using the firmware? Is it possible to get a reading using only a multimeter?

For reference, when checking torque sensor readings using the VLCD5 hidden service menu and factory firmware, Tongsheng says that normal torque signal initial value is 50-105.

jeff.page.rides said:
Sorry I wasn't clear on where the double bearings would go. I realize there's no room for double bearings on the small gear shaft. I was asking about double bearing setups for all the other bearings everyone else is doubling up, why I am Ordering Bearings
Thanks Jeff

On the non-drive side, there is approximately 8mm behind the circlip where the factory bearing sits. You can't use all this space as the bearing position requires adjustment.

Outboard of the circlip there is about 14mm to where the taper starts. Allowing for crank arm intrusion it's more like 12mm. Using the 6mm factory dust seal leaves only 8mm which is just enough for another standard 7mm wide 6902 bearing and circlip. To use a wider bearing here it would be need to have contact seals.

On the drive side there is about 9mm between circlip and the taper, so 7mm usable space allowing for crank arm intrusion.

So the only place you could use a wider bearing is outside of the circlip on the non-drive side.

I couldn't find much from name brand manufacturers though, mostly Chinese manufacturers. 15 x 28 x 10mm seems to be the size for what they designate as 3902 RS double row bearings. This one is angular contact and so designed for both radial and axial loads.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-3902-2RS-15x28x10-mm-3902-RS-Double-Row-Sealed-Angular-Contact-Ball-Bearing/264570548938

Enduro seems to make a 3902 LLU MAX in this size, which is what you'd ideally use without a separate dust seal. They are expensive, if you can find them in stock.
https://www.papanuicycles.co.nz/products/enduro-double-row-bearings-max
https://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/wheels-c293/hubs-c294/spares-c299/enduro-bearings-sealed-bearing-3902-llu-abec-3-max-p87161

I imagine the wider bearing would be an improvement, mainly on the shaft as that has the most play. But whether its worth the extra cost over the Enduro 6902s and especially the 10mm wide inner race MAX-E variant is hard to say. Just having the extra bearing on the spindle goes a long way towards improving play, and the tolerance between outer race and case is not "too" bad. I'm having trouble getting a 0.025mm shim sleeve around the bearings.

As for the roller bearings on the torque sensor assembly, I'd stick with the standard HK2214.

Using a wider roller bearing such as the HK2216 on the non-drive side will extend past the torque sensor so it's of no benefit. You can't push the bearing in any further due to a step in the case. Plus you aren't then likely to be able to fit the inboard factory 6902 bearing behind the circlip.

The drive side has only has 14mm available space inside the case until the step so you couldn't fit wider the HK2216 here either. The roller bearing on this side is captive on the torque sensor with a circlip. It's a total pain to remove as the hall sensor needs to have the wires cut to remove it, then resoldered and recalibrated (hence my other recent posts). The bearing is actually loose behind the circlip with a couple of mm extra space, about 14.5mm in total. I'm not really sure if this extra space serves a purpose, perhaps it adds float for the discs in collaboration with the little springs, and I've been wondering if it should be shimmed.

I actually have some INA HK2214 standard size bearings to replace both of these, but the play on the torque sensor assembly shaft is just as bad as factory. These INA ones have a seal on one side, so the side-to-side play is much better than factory which have a very loose inner race with empty space, and the seals add an element of firmness to the fit. But the trade-off is the rollers look to be slightly shorter that the factory versions.

Here's what those Enduro double row bearings look like.

Attachments

• Enduro LLU double row.jpg
    Enduro LLU double row.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 3,184
famichiki said:
jeff.page.rides said:
Thanks Jeff

On the non-drive side, there is approximately 8mm behind the circlip where the factory bearing sits. You can't use all this space as the bearing position requires adjustment.

Outboard of the circlip there is about 14mm to where the taper starts. Allowing for crank arm intrusion it's more like 12mm. Using the 6mm factory dust seal leaves only 8mm which is just enough for another standard 7mm wide 6902 bearing and circlip. To use a wider bearing here it would be need to have contact seals.

On the drive side there is about 9mm between circlip and the taper, so 7mm usable space allowing for crank arm intrusion.

So the only place you could use a wider bearing is outside of the circlip on the non-drive side.

I couldn't find much from name brand manufacturers though, mostly Chinese manufacturers. 15 x 28 x 10mm seems to be the size for what they designate as 3902 RS double row bearings. This one is angular contact and so designed for both radial and axial loads.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-3902-2RS-15x28x10-mm-3902-RS-Double-Row-Sealed-Angular-Contact-Ball-Bearing/264570548938

Enduro seems to make a 3902 LLU MAX in this size, which is what you'd ideally use without a separate dust seal. They are expensive, if you can find them in stock.
https://www.papanuicycles.co.nz/products/enduro-double-row-bearings-max
https://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/wheels-c293/hubs-c294/spares-c299/enduro-bearings-sealed-bearing-3902-llu-abec-3-max-p87161

I imagine the wider bearing would be an improvement, mainly on the shaft as that has the most play. But whether its worth the extra cost over the Enduro 6902s and especially the 10mm wide inner race MAX-E variant is hard to say. Just having the extra bearing on the spindle goes a long way towards improving play, and the tolerance between outer race and case is not "too" bad. I'm having trouble getting a 0.025mm shim sleeve around the bearings.

As for the roller bearings on the torque sensor assembly, I'd stick with the standard HK2214.

Using a wider roller bearing such as the HK2216 on the non-drive side will extend past the torque sensor so it's of no benefit. You can't push the bearing in any further due to a step in the case. Plus you aren't then likely to be able to fit the inboard factory 6902 bearing behind the circlip.

The drive side has only has 14mm available space inside the case until the step so you couldn't fit wider the HK2216 here either. The roller bearing on this side is captive on the torque sensor with a circlip. It's a total pain to remove as the hall sensor needs to have the wires cut to remove it, then resoldered and recalibrated (hence my other recent posts). The bearing is actually loose behind the circlip with a couple of mm extra space, about 14.5mm in total. I'm not really sure if this extra space serves a purpose, perhaps it adds float for the discs in collaboration with the little springs, and I've been wondering if it should be shimmed.

I actually have some INA HK2214 standard size bearings to replace both of these, but the play on the torque sensor assembly shaft is just as bad as factory. These INA ones have a seal on one side, so the side-to-side play is much better than factory which have a very loose inner race with empty space, and the seals add an element of firmness to the fit. But the trade-off is the rollers look to be slightly shorter that the factory versions.

Here's what those Enduro double row bearings look like.

THANKS

jeff.page.rides said:
If your crank and bottom bracket spindal has just a little bit of play its moving and the chain rubs on the power assist? There is the big o ring or seal between the chainring and case is it in place correctly? That also can make noise.
Thanks, but I think that's not the case. When I assembled the right side of the motor I double checked it to be in place.

mctubster said:

Here is the thread https://www.emtbforums.com/community/threads/sprag-clutch-failure-updated-title-and-how-common-is-it.11961/
and a good video of the issue - https://youtu.be/72JdemqjQ3w

Actually just had another thought. Are you able to keep it under load? Or use a throttle to make sure it isn't the torque sensor or pas reading dropping out and that sound is the motor suddenly cutting in and out?

Cheers
Sounds similar but this video shows what happens when sprag clutch on the right side fails: https://youtu.be/PWlz4xw3pI8 And I just checked and mine doesn't slip like that.

I don't have throttle but I have walk assist. I can sit on a bike and walk assist works just fine. It's just that when more power is applied then the sound is coming out.

famichiki said:
Good video, it sounds very similar.

I thought Andrew had cleaned the grease off the roller clutch bearing in the blue gear, or did you only clean the reduction shaft? Did you test spin the blue gear on the reduction shaft by hand to ensure it locks in one direction and spins freely in the other? Give it a bit of force to make sure there's no slippage.

Is there any abnormal wear on the reduction shaft where the roller bearing sits?

Can you feel any slipping when you pedal under assist or is it simply an annoying noise?

It shouldn't be the larger sprag clutch as that only affects the engagement of the crank arms when pedalling for human input and freewheeling, and besides you didn't originally do anything to that side. But then again, this is all a bit weird.

Is there any grease inside roller bearing at all? Did you add it or was it originally there? If so, perhaps consider sacrificing one of your blue gears as an experiment.

Pop the end 609RS ball bearing out, it should easily come out by hand. Then try to tap out the HF1216 roller bearing using a socket to see if it slips out too. It sits inside a splined metal retainer which should stay inside the blue gear, so if you don't support it properly that may come out instead. You should know pretty quickly if the bearing is fixed in there properly if it doesn't budge.

But, if the roller bearing is fixed firmly and if there is any grease inside yours then try to thoroughly clean it out using degreaser (preferably citrus) or kerosene etc and a toothbrush. The worry here is that any solvent may weaken the blue gear but at least you can rule out the roller clutch slipping for now.
Reduction shaft doesn't have any wear, it looks totally fine. And the blue gear is fixed on it firmly so I can only spin it one way. I wasn't able to force it to spin the other way. I've been thinking a lot and the only thing that I did wrong was greasing that reduction shaft and then mounting a blue gear on it. When it slipped I made another mistake and mounted another blue gear on that greased shaft. So both on my blue gears were ruined with the grease inside. When I cleaned the shaft and blue gear inside with isopropyl alcohol the motor didn't make sound at first (in fact it didn't really want to work at all) and a bit later it started working but also started making the sound. So while I cleaned the inside of the blue gear I think that there might be some grease left behind roller bearings and with more power it just slips inside. I only have regular degreaser for bike chain and will try to use it with the toothbrush to clean inside HF1216 roller bearing. At this point I don't really care if the degreaser will damage blue gear plastic as long as I can narrow down the problem. And if it helps, I'll get other degreaser and clean other blue gear properly and perhaps order a brand new one. Will report back how did it go probably tomorrow.

Thank you all for your time and ideas! I really appreciate that!

hello all of u. In which store did u buy your motor? pswpower? I have ordered the motor from pswpower on aliexpress.But after waiting for 20 days, the seller said that the parcel has been returned to them... So i have to re-order a motor now YESSS.. Is there a reliable way to order it? Thanks

Andrew707 said:
I've been thinking a lot and the only thing that I did wrong was greasing that reduction shaft and then mounting a blue gear on it. When it slipped I made another mistake and mounted another blue gear on that greased shaft.

If you used that same Park Tool grease, their website says it has an "extremely high shear strength" which sounds like it's extreme pressure type. This means when the roller clutch locks up the grease isn't forced out from between the rollers and the reduction shaft so metal-on-metal contact is not achieved. Perhaps the rollers themselves aren't even locking properly. Given enough force, the locked rollers then just slide over the surface of the shaft on the grease rather than grabbing and transferring the power.

Park Tool's polyurea lubricant was developed specifically for bicycle maintenance and repair. PolyLube 1000™ has an extremely high shear strength to protect vital parts under extreme conditions. PolyLube 1000™ also repels moisture and is compatible with conventional greases.
https://www.parktool.com/product/polylube-1000-lubricant-tube-ppl-1

E-bike lover said:
hello all of u. In which store did u buy your motor? pswpower? I have ordered the motor from pswpower on aliexpress.But after waiting for 20 days, the seller said that the parcel has been returned to them... So i have to re-order a motor now YESSS.. Is there a reliable way to order it? Thanks

I bought mine from PSWPower website for tax free delivery .. only took around 4 days to arrive in Germany

http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo-s210025

famichiki said:
If you used that same Park Tool grease, their website says it has an "extremely high shear strength" which sounds like it's extreme pressure type. This means when the roller clutch locks up the grease isn't forced out from between the rollers and the reduction shaft so metal-on-metal contact is not achieved. Perhaps the rollers themselves aren't even locking properly. Given enough force, the locked rollers then just slide over the surface of the shaft on the grease rather than grabbing and transferring the power.
Yeah, I used the same Park Tool grease... So yesterday I soaked blue gear in biodegradable degreaser for a few hours, then used toothbrush trying to clean the inside and then put it under hot water, dried and used isopropyl alcohol to clean inside again and tried it in the motor. Unfortunately, it's still making that sound. :( I believe grease got inside the bearing and it's not going anywhere now... So I ordered a new brass gear just to try it out. But it may take a couple months to arrive. :(

Also, I've tried to hammer out roller clutch bearing using a socket but it came out with the outer ring. Still want to disassemble it to see how it looks like inside but I'm running out of ideas what else to do with my limited tools... Here are some pics: https://imgur.com/a/JTCLktT

Andrew707 said:
Still want to disassemble it to see how it looks like inside but I'm running out of ideas what else to do with my limited tools...

Is the metal gear coming from China? Perhaps these guys can get you a blue or metal one quicker.
https://www.eco-ebike.com/search?q=tsdz2+gear

Well, you seem to be doing a thorough job so if this is actually the cause then it's amazingly stubborn. I just hope I don't have this problem as I've greased mine too, albeit with what should be compatible grease (SKF LGMT2) as I've seen some name brand bearings do come pre-greased.

I'm not sure if the isopropyl alcohol will dissolve all the grease through, do you have any kerosene to soak it in? Or even WD-40 spray, with a long nozzle? WD-40 usually does a good job of cleaning things up and is thin enough that residual spray inside shouldn't be an issue. I use it to spray the gunk off my chain before adding proper chain lube.

I glued some 0.05mm brass shim to the axle with Loctite 641 (well actually RS Components equivalent which is MUCH cheaper).

You need to roughen up both the spindle and brass shim for it to attach properly. The spindle is very easy to sand with normal wet & dry paper, not very reassuring.

After gluing, I held it in place with a few spring clamps. I did it in one piece and covered the circlip groove, but if you rub over the groove area (about 9mm from the splines) then the groove is revealed and you can trim it out later with a sharp knife.

It turned out really well, except the retaining compound added more thickness than I expected and I couldn't get the bearing on even with a little tapping. So next I sanded the brass shim down until the bearing started to go on... but then the shim was so thin that it began to tear.

Although the shear strength of the retaining compound is good, the shim peeled off without much trouble and I found that even with just the retaining compound the bearing fit was tight.

So, in conclusion.. for the factory bearing it's better to just fit the shim under it without gluing. The bearing and circlip will hold it in place. If you are using a standard second bearing with the factory dust seal you can try the same but you'll need to use another circlip outboard of the second bearing to keep the bearing and shim in place. Alternatively, you can use retaining compound on that second bearing but the play is so great that it's difficult to centre it.

I'm trying another experiment now with just retaining compound and greaseproof kitchen paper to see if I can build up the spindle with just the compound.

Attachments

• brass-shim1.jpg
    brass-shim1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 2,984
  • brass-shim2.jpg
    brass-shim2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2,984
  • brass-shim3.jpg
    brass-shim3.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 2,984
  • brass-shim4.jpg
    brass-shim4.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 2,984
  • brass-shim5.jpg
    brass-shim5.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 2,984
Nice work on the bearings and shafts.

TSDZ2 heatsink part 1
I've taken tools in hand and started to make an aluminum heatsink for the motor.
It's actually turned out to be pretty simple to do.
I went to my local metal supplier and got a few pieces of 3"x 1/8" Aluminum tubing. For rough cuts they only guarantee
0 to+1/8" tolerance.They could be up to 1 3/16" but mine are 1 1/16" long.
Using a sabre saw I cut a slot in the tube, and then another about 1/4" away.This makes the part flexible, and allows for thermal expansion. If you use a square and mark your tube you can get a pretty straight cut. Decide which end of the tubing is cut the closet to being square and file or sand it flat. this will be the end that goes against the main casing. You need the cover off the motor for the next part.
Next the ends you just cut need to be beveled to clear the capacitor.Using a Dremel tool and a sanding drum cut one at a 30* angle, then cut the other at 60* to form a 90* notch for the capacitor. Don't try for a close fit. Everything will be working to close that gap when you assemble, and run the motor. Put a small bevel on all the top and bottom corners of the tube.Put a larger bevel on the top outer edge of the ring to help assembly when the thick thermal pads are installed. Sand any rough spots smooth.
Remove the wires from the motor, and passing the small wires through the slot slip the ring all the way down over the motor Test fit by slipping the cover over the aluminum ring. It should bolt down fairly easily.
I'm waiting for some 3mm thermal pads to arrive to go between the bolts on the motor and fill the gap between the armature and the aluminum ring. This will also require thermal grease between the cover and the ring for a wet joint, also around the bottom of the ring to send heat into the main casting( I said bottom because the motor is off the bike and on the workbench). This will help cool the part of the motor that is away from the cover.
I don't have, or plan to install a thermal sensor on my motor. So I won't have any numbers for you.
In metric this would be 76.2x3.15mm tubing. I'm guessing 75x3mm is what would be available. Since it's smaller it should work with just a little more thermal grease needed in places.
I've found that 76x3mm tubing is listed by suppliers, so that is what I would try to use.

TSDZ2 heatsink continued.
I got my 3mm thermal pads and installed the heatsink ring today. 100x100x3mm gives enough pad to do the job twice in case of a mistake, or blue gear repair later. I removed the motor to install thermal pads on the armature between the motor screws, and put thermal grease all the way around the base of the motor for heat transfer in that direction. Reinstalled the motor. The only special tool needed was pair of large external snap ring pliers to spread the ring to go over the thermal pads. This was expected. Compression helps with the heat transfer of the pads. Once the ring was over the pads, and seated around the bottom of the motor, the wiring was connected, and the cover could be installed. The ring will be slightly larger than before due to the thermal pads. A more generous bevel at the top outside edge of the ring would have helped. I coated about 1/2" down from the top of the ring, and about 1/2" inside the cover at the edge with thermal grease. You only need to do this 1/2 way around where the cover and the ring will be touching. Squeezing the ring in I got it started going into the cover. It helps to have the crank tube bracket attached as a guide.The cover was a much tighter fit than before and needed to be tapped down into position using a piece of wood to protect the cover.But I knew it was just the compressible pads making it tight.
I didn't use expensive computer overclocking thermal compound like Arctic Silver. I got a 20g. tube of Thermalgrease 20 which is just a generic cooler paste. Again I think there is enough for a rework if needed.
There's nothing here that couldn't be done with a hacksaw, and a rough file. Or even the razor saws they sell in craft stores.

This got started because I added a motor controller to get a throttle, and I had it flashed with the Open Source Firmware. But I did some measuring and saw the possibility of a decent heatsink solution and tried it. This has thermal pads all the way around the armature. The heatsink is full circle also, and the heat goes not only to the cover but down into the base of the motor housing.
I hope someone with a thermal sensor gives this a try and reports back.

Is there any mechanical engineer that can help design a part for 3D printing, to reuse the VLCD5 remote keypad circuit board and the touch pad, to add the small wireless board and the button cell?

I did finish the very first version of the firmware and works perfectly:

[youtube]O67TSVkCuRM[/youtube]

The schematic is very simple, very few wires to solder and the total price in components is only about 12€, considering you reuse the VLCD5 remote -- see all the details on the project page: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/ebike_wireless_remote

ebike_remote_wireless-v1.png

casainho said:
(...)

I did finish the very first version of the firmware and works perfectly:

(...)

ebike_remote_wireless-v1.png

I thought about this earlier - what I would really like to see would be something to replace the innards of the vlcd5. What I'd envision would be to use an esp32 module with epaper display (i.e. this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32867880658.html (or smaller one with more pins, meaning all the buttons and stuff can be connected directly, and it probably fits more easily: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000626947976.html). That would be mounted on a "carrier" PCB which serves as a bridge to connect the incoming wires, USB, and springy push-pins to the esp32 module. Only thing really on there would be a DC-DC converter circuit to power the USB and the module.

That way you keep the nice stuff of the VLCD5 (removeability, built-in USB charging, no need to cut and solder external wiring, brake sensor connection, etc. Only thing is that the VLCD5 is just big and ugly... The total cost would probably be around €25 for a populated board including the module - I could probably design it, and then anyone can make their own - or I can assemble a few and sell them (from FR) if enough people are interested in something like this.

Only thing is to develop / port the firmware to it - which is not something that I'd be able to really do I think.

(Edit: i.e. pretty much an variation on https://github.com/TSDZ2-ESP32/, except the esp32 goes inside the old vlcd5 display housing and has an epaper display attached to it)

I'm reassembling my motor so I've just asked about the PAS sensor positioning again but in a separate thread, posts seem to get buried quickly here in the mega thread. If you have any more info or pics please post them over there. Thanks.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=108007

famichiki said:
casainho said:
Seems the failing sensor was sanded (about 1 millimeter) by the torque sensor part ring where the 20 small magnets are.

Did you lower your PAS sensor so it was level or below the surface of the case? My PAS sensor sits about 0.5mm above the case. So, do you think it's better to lower this so it is level with the case (and won't be sanded) and would it still work properly?

Doohickey said:
I thought about this earlier - what I would really like to see would be something to replace the innards of the vlcd5. What I'd envision would be to use an esp32 module with epaper display
I am going in a different route that is developing on top of the standard of EBike wireless, just like the big EBike brands are doing. See that currently we can not use a Bafang, Kuteng or other displays because everyone is different, they do not follow any standard - that would be different if they would use the standard of EBike wireless.

There are many displays and sensors in the market with this standard, meaning the user can choose which one fits better for him and everyone will work just the same.

ESP32 only supports Wifi and Bluetooth, meaning it can not support the standard of EBike wireless, that is ANT+. I am using the NRF52840 that supports ANT+ and Bluetooth.

Also note that epaper displays are very slow to refresh, no good to show EBike information like wheel speed, motor power, etc.

jeff.page.rides said:
Thank You for your reply!
We did add some silicone between the 2 cases where the wires go through the case.
I will try to find a USA Bearing supplier to order these from.
In my case would you suggest any of the double bearings?

Reading back, I realised I was a bit unclear. In addition to the reduction shaft, there are two holes through to the controller (or four if you include the holes for the screws that hold the controller in place). One where the PAS sensor pokes out and the other where the wires for the torque sensor run through.

To apply sealant to the PAS sensor from the controller side you'll have to remove the controller first, and then somehow ensure there's no excess sealant that will cause a problem. So ideally you'd remove the torque sensor for this job too, in order to clean up any excess. But with the torque sensor out, you could probably just squeeze sealant around the PAS sensor from the torque sensor side anyway.

Attachments

• holes.jpg
    holes.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,254
Back