Newbie Retrofit build

Grizzl-E said:
The maintenance of lipo vs an 18650 pack is not the only factor. If your not used to taking care of lipo, ie never overdischarge, never leave them for more than a couple days fully charged. You likely won't get anywhere near the 300 cycles you can get if you baby them. You might get half that. Then they look pretty expensive next to an 18650 pack with bms that will last 300+ cycles easily. As stated above, lipo is a pain.

Oh really.
I just ordered 12S(46V)/20,000 mAh of 10C lipo delivered to my door for $237 :lol:
My old pack is two years old and still going strong. It's comprised of the tried and true 6S/5000mAh Turnigy 20C bricks configured into 2S/2P for 10000 mAh for a cost of(now on sale) $30 a brick-$180 for 10 Ah of 46 V.
Nothing comes close to providing this kind of energy vs cost ratio, not to mention Lipos small form factor.
For those who take to time to learn how to care for Lipo and don't cheap out on the charging system,it simply can't be beat.

Yes lipo is good value IF you take care of it. But, and no offence meant to the OP, every permutation of the first bike build has been played out on this forum. If someone is posting to ask for help before doing the research, they will likely value an easy to charge and maintain battery over lipo.

And charging speed of lipo is irrelevant in this thread/ context. Yes I too enjoy faster charging of my lipo packs, because I'm charging with 4 meanwell's! But a cheap 5a RC charger is going to be little faster than a 3a 18650 pack charger of similar cost if you include the time to take the lipo pack apart when you charge.

Give me a break. You think 98 18650 cells welded together is easier to build and maintain than 4 rc lipo packs plugged together into a bms. With the introduction of bms's for lco a few years back, it virtually eliminated the need for an rc balance charger for larger packs, One can charge them the same as a pack made with 18650 cells, so absolutely no advantage for 18650 cell packs. Yeah, I use 18650's too. In my flashlights where they belong. Find me a 10ah 24s 18650 pack rated fro 200A for $180, what I paid for my last rc lipo pack and I'll give it a try.

how does this kit sound? I hear they are Samsung 29E batteries.

http://laebike.com/products/48v-10ah-lithium-ion-battery-aluminum-case-top-discharge-with-charger

329$ with charger 48v10ah li-ion

Cheap. I doubt they are 29e's. 10ah is not divisible by 2.9ah (the capacity of those cells). But that's ok cause if it's a lower capacity brand name cell it will generally put out higher current.

And if they are 29E's, you don't want them, They are rated <1C continuous discharge rate, so unless you are going to use a 10A controller...... You might note that there are no discharge specs on any of those packs. That is something that is critical to know to match it to the controller you use. But you might get lucky and they may have 25r cells and a 30A bms. Wanna take a gamble?

this is the cable to run 2 6s 12000mah 20c lipos?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7880__EC3_Battery_Harness_14AWG_for_2_Packs_in_Parallel.html

read this.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=39666

That is for parallel connection so you will still end up with 6s configuration
If you would like 12s you need a serial type adapter.
What batteries are you buying post a link.

ok! been thinking.....again. I dont mind the exttra work for lipo

So for my bike yea -

1000w48v ebay kit from yescomusa.com
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371289491857?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

14S (58.8V charged) LIPO - Will change phase connectors to 4mm bullets for?

Saftey box for charging while i sleep
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24647__Turnigy_Lipo_Bunker_Lipoly_Safety_Charge_Box.html

torque bar - Any suggestions on a good inexpensive one?

Yea so the Controller that comes with kit goes up to 26amp 60v so 14S Lipo would be what i'm looking for. I know 12s is easier but id like the extra speed. This is not actually a commute bike its for everything...I have no job im disabled so sight seeing/gym/grocery etc. 14S (58.8V charged). I cant figure out what combination of batteries and wires id need. 13S or 14s with 12-16ah is what i'm going for. I dont need the extra range of 20ah I think. 13s or 14s is more of a pain how?

I could use Battery Medics for 14s to charge? Looking at hobbyking.

thanks again guys this is EPIC

Will not the charger stop the battery from over charging? you are trying to say with lipo you have to be awake to charge? omg for realz? how lame.

"7. Most important: NEVER PLUG IN A BATTERY AND LEAVE IT TO CHARGE UNATTENDED OVERNIGHT. Serious fires have resulted from this practice."

Cant i set up a motion alarm and a temperature alarm to go off to wake me if issue arises.

You can charge your Lithium-ion battery pack overnight as oppsed to lipo?

You should never charge any battery unattended. That said, I've never had a problem charging my rc lipo in over 5 years. It's no more volatile than many 18650's. At least there's a warning before it vents by swelling. But I'd never leave it charging overnight. Charge then evening before you need it.Then disconnect it. Most fires are caused on purpose for the thrill of it. Others are from pure stupidity. Read this concerning rc lipo.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27241

5 out of the 16 packs Ypedal bought arrived in a condition he was not comfortable using them straight out of the box. :shock:
Hobbykings quality control is not so good.

Can someone please show me the links to the battery packs and parts for a 14S 12-16ah Lipo battery pack. And any cables or adaptors i'd need to run the 1000w kit mentioned above. Simple and as inexpensive as possible. Believe it or not i've spent alotta time researching and i'm at a lose as what to buy exactly so it all fits.

Pretty please heeeelp so this thread can die hehe

If 14s is just crazy hard 12s or 13s works..

After this build im looking forward to building a lithium-ion pack in future. I was going to do that but soldering and complexity of it all keeped me from confidently pulling it off in my time-frame (I moving May 1st.) Will be commuting from DC to Charlottesville by amtrak train often too. Only will have e-bike in DC.

Id like to build a li battery pack after a while cause i know i can get good inexpensive 18650 cells in safe chemistry that will not catch fire from fasttech or that guy on forums. I vape e-liquid now so I have a lot of 18650 batteries and have grown fond of them.

Do you you guys think Okishara the guy who sells Tesla batteries would make me a 13s4p li pack? He won't reply to me cause i'm a newb probably.

Can someone please show me the links to the battery packs and parts for a 14S 12-16ah Lipo battery pack. And any cables or adaptors i'd need to run the 1000w kit mentioned above. Simple and as inexpensive as possible. Believe it or not i've spent alotta time researching and i'm at a lose as what to buy exactly so it all fits.

Pretty please heeeelp so this thread can die hehe

If 14s is just crazy hard 12s or 13s works..

Just buy a pre built 18650 pack with a charger and be done with it.
If you need somebody to give you a shopping list for lipo bits and pieces you need to do more research IMHO

There are lots of ways to build a 14s pack. 6+6+2, 5+5+4, 4+3+4+3, etc. etc. If you buy 16ah packs, just string them together for a 16ah pack. if you buy 5ah packs string 3 sets of them and then parallel them together for 15ah. There are hundreds of ways to do it.Lots of examples here. It ain't rocket science.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=39666

Back