Noisy motor after installing kt controller

yakov7478

1 µW
Hi, I saw this amazing forum and I would appreciate it if you could help me because I have a problem, I have a rider bike, it came with a 36v battery, a 350w motor, and a 250w controller, since the controller is only 250w, I told myself that I would buy a controller with a higher power to take full advantage of it The power of the engine, I bought a kt show controller, I connected all the wires and then I turn it on and press the throttle the engine makes a noise and the display does not show the speed and after a few seconds the engine shuts off probably because the controller does not detect a feedback. It's important to note that I ordered a sine wave controller, so maybe that's why I have no idea, I'd really appreciate it if you could answer me because I'm really confused and don't know what to do, thank you very much! All the wires are well connected, I am attaching a video, thank you very much!

Last edited:
When you say the engine makes noise, is it spinning, or making noise and not turning? (Motor spinning backwards inside). Your issue is like an incorrect wiring combination of you hall and phase wires going to you motor.
If this is the case, you will need to try different combinations until you have smooth operation. Read the information here and follow the flow chart based on the symptoms until the motor runs smoothly. Ask questions here if the steps are unclear.

When you say the engine makes noise, is it spinning, or making noise and not turning? (Motor spinning backwards inside). Your issue is like an incorrect wiring combination of you hall and phase wires going to you motor.
If this is the case, you will need to try different combinations until you have smooth operation. Read the information here and follow the flow chart based on the symptoms until the motor runs smoothly. Ask questions here if the steps are unclear.
The engine turns but makes a loud noise, I have attached a video

The engine turns but makes a loud noise, I have attached a video
What type of connectors do you have going to your motor? If it’s 1) a single connector with 3 large pins and 5 or 6 smaller pins or 2) three large conductors (phase wires) each with a connector, and a separate molex connector with 5 or 6 thin conductors (hall sensor wires)? If the former, then the steps may take more work, but if the latter, you should be able to use the flow diagram to swap.

Assuming you have the latter, then If you start at the first box in the flow diagram, the noisy rotation arrow shows that you should move to the box on the right and swap conductors as described. If after the swap you have smooth rotation in the right direction, then you’re done. If still noisy, move to the box below and swap wires as instructed.
Using the chart cuts down on how many combinations to get to proper operation. There is only one combination out of 36 that is correct. This problem occurs because there are no standards for wire colors (except maybe the red and black wires on the hall connector) so if you buy components separately, or purchase a replacement, there is a good chance you’ll need to do some swapping.

What type of connectors do you have going to your motor? If it’s 1) a single connector with 3 large pins and 5 or 6 smaller pins or 2) three large conductors (phase wires) each with a connector, and a separate molex connector with 5 or 6 thin conductors (hall sensor wires)? If the former, then the steps may take more work, but if the latter, you should be able to use the flow diagram to swap.

Assuming you have the latter, then If you start at the first box in the flow diagram, the noisy rotation arrow shows that you should move to the box on the right and swap conductors as described. If after the swap you have smooth rotation in the right direction, then you’re done. If still noisy, move to the box below and swap wires as instructed.
Using the chart cuts down on how many combinations to get to proper operation. There is only one combination out of 36 that is correct. This problem occurs because there are no standards for wire colors (except maybe the red and black wires on the hall connector) so if you buy components separately, or purchase a replacement, there is a good chance you’ll need to do some swapping.
Thank you very much for the reply, I have the first connector you said they are all together without a separate connection, how many options do I have? And is it certain that the noise is due to incorrect wiring? Because I connected all the wires color by color

Based on some discussions on the forum, it seems like KT is usually compatible with most motors using that connector, but not always. Do you have any details about your motor, like brand, etc. ?
You mentioned a video, but I didn’t see a link. Can you take a pic of both sides of the motor/controller connector?
One of the small pins is the speed sensor, so if the display doesn’t show speed, then it’s not getting the signal from the motor.

You have a KT controller with these connectors. And you hooked it up by color. Did you buy a KT display too? If you used your old display, it will power up, but cannot communicate with the controller. It won't show speed, nor will it be able to send commands like what PAS level to use.

If it's not a KT display, use the jumper in the picture. Controller will boot up, and throttle and a default PAS assist should work if the motor is wired properly.
Jumper1.jpg

This flow chart has helped a lot of people. KT does follow popular motor standards, so maybe your motor is an odd ball. While it was featured in E-HP's link, I;m just going to post it again,
HRaeRi4.jpg

By the way, you cannot upload videos to this forum. Put your video on another site, like youtube, and then post a link to it.

Back