NYX Cromotor Max-E Build

Man this was nerve racking but the hard part's over...I don't think this glass is sitting any closer than it is now. What a PITA though, trying to hold it tight and not have it go out out of level or wanna flatten back out...I don't do machining for a living but if I had to do it again I would spend the time to find a curved or creased piece of Lexan like ridethelightning said and save myself a lot of anxiety.

Attachments

• 20150918_004852-1-1-1.jpg
    20150918_004852-1-1-1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,428
  • 20150918_014328-1.jpg
    20150918_014328-1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 2,424
It's hard to get pictures but there's no gap at the ridge it's just a reflection and then I did a diamond like angle cut on the face at top and bottom..but gone for the weekend and off to a wedding so I'll get some more up in a few days for ya.

Attachments

• 20150918_020035-1-1-1.jpg
    20150918_020035-1-1-1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 2,444
Looks like I'm going Aussie? with my brakes

I've never really examined the anatomy of bicycle brake levers, and don't know if this is just a "Magura Thing", but they use a rubber bladder I'd call it in the brake lever.

Well that popped...it's really interesting because it blew a hole in the corner but not the seal. The seal just sits in there and the cover that snaps in pinches at the seal..

So anyways looks like I'm going to flop em Aussie style so it's called and maybe down the road look into how another company like HOPE and dig around to see if their design is any different from Magura and if it's feasible.

I was pretty psyched to have it because I re-machined a new and better Splitter but on top of it, I had to put springed pins like on locking BMX levers. I did this because when pulled on one, (now I understand )that it must have just been filling up the bladder in the other before moving the pistons in the caliper and not providing a strong bite..meaning both had to be pulled at the same time. If I tried putting extra fluid in, then the pads rubbed so locking pins that popped up to release when fully depressed was all I could think of at the time.

I dunno it's a lot of hassle for what it is but perhaps that's why you never see it done. More likely the fact that I'm just strange wanting that setup I guess. Like I said I will look into it again down the road but wanted to do something different as always and bring something new to the table.

Fortunately enough too it happened in the basement while waiting for this tint to arrive for the BMS window.

Tint's on and just waiting for the epoxy to cure. Think it's gonna work out nice.

The picture is the tray and what I did was use the cutting board to mount the BMS and make it to slide into the tray if or when in the event I need to access the BMS I can just slide it out.

It's a snug fit but what I'll do is put a little set screw in it so it won't slide out on its own for reassurance.

In a moment of anger I decided to order a set of Hope Tech3 V4's in Red and should be here Monday at the latest. Completely unnecessary but said screw Magura cause that's what I do but still just gonna do the Aussie style oriented brake levers.

Maybe I'll get a chance to Rip on it before I move outta here and get a video of it moving finally. Oh yea just need to set up the Eaton n wire that up...anyone got an idea of what thone pinouts are?

Attachments

• 20150924_131155-1-1.jpg
    20150924_131155-1-1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 2,313
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z313/sacko_vit/For%252520Sale/20150216_140638_zpsyttliklq.jpg&imgrefurl=https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f%3D31%26t%3D64821&h=450&w=800&tbnid=DdIfBdOQeVW5EM:&docid=Op4EFwax0qPrmM&ei=2nAEVuH7KuTEmQX5ta7oDg&tbm=isch&ved=0CCIQMygGMAZqFQoTCOHQlJjUkMgCFWRipgod-ZoL7Q

heres a pic of the eaton pinouts, but not the one i wanted,like so many things, it just dissappeared somewhere.

Thanks for comin thru on that ridethelightning! You da man that's perfect. I'll have to see if I can sneak down in the basement "to pack" haha have a moving truck coming Saturday morning but still have a few days before we are completely outta here.

I'll have an update when I throw it on and with BMS showing up on that new display window. Good stuff I appreciate it again..just been struggling to find the time lately.

Hey BTW ridethelightning, I haven't looked into it at all yet, but I think there should be something out there for this idea I was tossing around.

Since you can see I took that pocket for the BMS right to the edge I really limited my options for sealing the hatch up.

I am going to do some hunting around and see what I can use to pour a mold and imagine I would need something that will allow for a release agent or mold that can break. I think that this will give us the exact fit we are looking for with no seams or voids where the ends meet.

If I can track this down than and it is something some other NYX owners will want it should be cheap once I make a mold and will offer them just would ask for shipping and materials..however you want to say non profit just a hookup. I don't know if you could mold it using the frame but could make one on the mill if that is what needs to be done and offer them that way if this is the case assuming not everyone has the means to make the mold.

Watcha think? Like I would just make a batch n throw 3 or 5 in a package so you got a few extras down the road.

Could use this and make a boot for the Adaptto too I'd guess thinking about it. Personally I am going to make a new she'll and incorporate my mounting, wire chase and exits, and make it substantial to take a beating. That's gonna be my winter project though I have beven daydreaming about lately.

Nice build. This thing is going to be a blast
Subscribed

walkev85 said:
Hey BTW ridethelightning, I haven't looked into it at all yet, but I think there should be something out there for this idea I was tossing around.

Since you can see I took that pocket for the BMS right to the edge I really limited my options for sealing the hatch up.

I am going to do some hunting around and see what I can use to pour a mold and imagine I would need something that will allow for a release agent or mold that can break. I think that this will give us the exact fit we are looking for with no seams or voids where the ends meet.

If I can track this down than and it is something some other NYX owners will want it should be cheap once I make a mold and will offer them just would ask for shipping and materials..however you want to say non profit just a hookup. I don't know if you could mold it using the frame but could make one on the mill if that is what needs to be done and offer them that way if this is the case assuming not everyone has the means to make the mold.

Watcha think? Like I would just make a batch n throw 3 or 5 in a package so you got a few extras down the road.

Could use this and make a boot for the Adaptto too I'd guess thinking about it. Personally I am going to make a new she'll and incorporate my mounting, wire chase and exits, and make it substantial to take a beating. That's gonna be my winter project though I have beven daydreaming about lately.

a custom molded seal or complete new molded plate with integrated seal would be an awesome idea. i think it would be well recieved by others too.

Greenlight said:
Nice build. This thing is going to be a blast
Subscribed

Yo Greenlight, thanks dude! Much appreciated..I tell you what it's been a blast so far n hope this train keeps on rollin and the party contintues. Got some big plans for this thing really stoked coming this far and seeing it coming together like it has.

Hey ridethelightning sounds good..when I can catch my breath here I'm sure we'll be able to put our minds together and get something done.

Hey walkev.... Rockin build!! Great fabrication skills too! Subscribed and added you to friends..... just read your entire build, Hell Yeah Man, we gots to get together and ride, see what it takes to break that NYX! LOL! Just wanted to let you know, I got your PM, but I been super busy this weekend as I am promoting a rock festival and have to go back to the venue and clean-up today. So, I will PM you tonight or tomorrow..... but, yeah, I know all that area. I regularly ride the D&R Canal Towpath from Lambertville thru Trenton down to Philly and I know every piece of single-track, double-track, farmers field cuts and woods cannonball trail off of it....... because I made them!

As you say there are not many E-Bikes in this area and I definitely am looking for riders who want to start an "E-Duro BC" club. Yup, E-bikes are still invisible round here and I'm the only one who can Flock that up...... and soon you too! Listen, gotta bolt right now, but look for a PM tomorrow....

Ridt On, my e-brother!!
SDog

Moving sucks can't wait to get it over with..

I put a picture of the screen shot after I did some Manual settings in the Advanced menu. This is with the wheel suspended not with a load on it. Will get some pictures of the settings I put in the Adaptto. I actually backed out of the throttle when I saw the MPH get that high..didn't want to fry anything and the motor was screaming. Had it on OVS 3 to get this..But will definitely put what settings I have to get some feedback before I hold the throttle to let it "top out".

I meant to get some pictures before I loaded it up but it was getting hectic and people walking on the sidewalk were all gathering around asking about it and my father in law wanted to get something at the drive thru and that took twice as long with people asking me what it was n all..pretty cool it's gonna do what I wanted it seems and grab some attention for sure.

Hey when I go to charge it..I put it in charge mode, plug the charger in the wall (A/C) than connect it to the bike? I'll double check and set the battery parameters before this though.

Hey Sdog man! Nice dude! Ha those are some sweet spots around that canal..I'm glad I got family over that way still. Will keep an eye out for that PM sorry I've officially lost it moving n all but will get back in touch when it's over this week. It's gonna be epic rippin up those trails with these Ebikes guaranteed..lookin forward to it.

Attachments

• 20150926_054618.jpg
    20150926_054618.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 2,176
to charge, i always connect the coil to motor phase and controller neg charge plugs first, connect it to the psu, then plug the psu in and turn on.
note, all parameters for max charge voltage ,bms cell voltage config and max regen voltage etc,etc will limit the charging max voltage enabled.

Thanks robohead dude!

Things have been a bit crazy to say the least around here lately but here's a a few pics of it sitting as it is today. I posted a video of it on YouTube a while back but never got around to editing the video..I think it's sideways on the screen from the phone orientation. Here's the YouTube title..
"NYX Cromotor Max-E E-Bike Wobble"

Long story short I got some awesome rides in with it since my last post here and after balancing both wheels I get a nasty wobble at 55mph when the harmonics of it kick in. The one fork leg stays compressed and is binding up while I ride. You can see it in the video but probably not unless you are watching it on a computer monitor as opposed to your phone.

I unlocked the firmware so it does some powerful wheelies and is a torque monster now. I rigged up the regen brakes temporarily on the lever too. But between the deciding on going with better forks and the controller battery gauge dropping to zero constantly due to the Adaptto glitch (I haven't looked into if this was ever fixed since) I decided to hold off a few months working on it because it looks like I'll be moving to Tampa, Florida soon.

Can't wait to get back to it but for now that's what I'm up against looking forward. Hope it helps and still around to drop a line in the meantime.

Attachments

• 20151207_152213.jpg
    20151207_152213.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 2,044
  • 20151207_152254.jpg
    20151207_152254.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 2,044
  • 20151207_152320.jpg
    20151207_152320.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 2,044
  • 20151207_152419.jpg
    20151207_152419.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 2,044
Nice build!.. Curious to see your video :wink:

btw... Why so much dust in the garage and on the bike :shock: did you also build a pair of loudspeakers with MDF in that garage :lol:

Doc

Hey Doc, thanks it means a lot to get your approval!

I fabricated a waste oil heater for the garage and cutting the openings in an old 100 lb propane tank I think did it when I took those pictures. But I yanked the motor out of my truck sitting there in the background to rebuild so I learned my lesson to cover it up when I don't have the pleasure of working on my clean Electronic hobbies ha.

But from now on if it's not dirty from riding out in the woods, I keep it nice and clean as it deserves.

walkev85 said:
Thanks robohead dude!

Things have been a bit crazy to say the least around here lately but here's a a few pics of it sitting as it is today. I posted a video of it on YouTube a while back but never got around to editing the video..I think it's sideways on the screen from the phone orientation. Here's the YouTube title..
"NYX Cromotor Max-E E-Bike Wobble"

Long story short I got some awesome rides in with it since my last post here and after balancing both wheels I get a nasty wobble at 55mph when the harmonics of it kick in. The one fork leg stays compressed and is binding up while I ride. You can see it in the video but probably not unless you are watching it on a computer monitor as opposed to your phone.

I unlocked the firmware so it does some powerful wheelies and is a torque monster now. I rigged up the regen brakes temporarily on the lever too. But between the deciding on going with better forks and the controller battery gauge dropping to zero constantly due to the Adaptto glitch (I haven't looked into if this was ever fixed since) I decided to hold off a few months working on it because it looks like I'll be moving to Tampa, Florida soon.

Can't wait to get back to it but for now that's what I'm up against looking forward. Hope it helps and still around to drop a line in the meantime.

the adaptto will show 0% battery when your peak current causes the cells to sag down temporarily to the set lvc. also the set AH value might be "adjusted" for you at the same time. (glitch/feature :p )
could that be the cause?

That's exactly what happens I should have elaborated a bit more.

I was about 20 miles into my first "real" ride and wanted to climb a hill on a trail. When I went WOT it cut out momentarily and my battery/range both read zero.

Also like you mentioned, each time before or after I don't remember anymore I charged I would have to go back to reset the Ah value.

I mentioned that I unlocked the firmware too, but this was beore I did that modification in the beginning using economy and normal mode because I was more curious about what riding it like an ebike not motorcycle experience would result.

Wish I could turn that feature off without having to adjust it accordingly before or mid ride. I'd prefer not to concentrate on the Adaptto screen and take in more of the surroundings as I ride. Any suggestions or maybe something you found a way to deal with it?

well, the best i can think of is get massive f**k off high discharge battery that has very little sag :lol:
also, you could set your lvc lower, in the bms setup cell v config and also in the battery stup lvc. that way, when the pack sags momentarily, it may not "trip" the empty switch
you just have to make sure you dont discharge it to that at resting voltage.

i only experience it when i have a very long ride and try to fly up a hill coming home...

I've been talking with Cedrick over at NYX about putting a complete package together for me. He mentioned using a QS 3k motor over the Cro 5k. What does E-S think about the two? Peak, Nominal performance. he hinted 10k power (peak?)

qs is a little cheaper(~200usd?) and VERY well built.
a bargain for the money i think. it also has slightly lower pole count so it will be better at higher speeds i believe.
looks like the cro v4 has now followed suit in this too-
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=75677#p1142396

it may be just as or more economical to order the laced qs 205 direct from Vito.

Back