Build/Repair NYX QS 205 MAX-E

Longshot

100 W
Ive never done a thread like this but here it goes. This is the NYX Interbike from 2015. Ill do a parts list and stuff. It was built with a MXUS 3000 but it shorted out 3 days after I got it. I skipped fixing the motor and bought some qs 205's. I want to have a back up motor so now I have a Hutch GP1 and a Skinko 241 for every motor type and ebike. I also have a few Cromotor V3. One of my QS205's is a modded "Cromotor V4" i think. Its the same but with a different axle and wires im not sure about the extent of the mods from Cromotor.

I modded the QS205 by removing a subsantial amount of material from behind the magnets. I also removed mass from btwn the spoke holes. I was pretty happy with the weight reduction. The taps for the holes for the covers are all over the place and unnecessarilly deep. The lathe uncovered it and i used JB weld to fill the holes. IDK but i decided that something with some steel content would be better behind those magnets. I used clear gorilla tape to seal the side that was milled and then mixed some jbweld by popping the the cork on a 14G syringe and mixing it in the syringe. I then injected the epoxy straight into the tapped holes that needed filling. I used a flashlight shining on the tape side while i looked into the tapped holes to make sure it was filled enough. I then painted with Rustoleum BBQ paint. I would prob use a better paint next time.

We built the hub into a 17" holmes hobby wheel with holmes spokes. I decided to try making all the spokes outboard this time. The spoke lengths were pretty optimal at 103mm and 108mm. Holmes cant cut 10G spokes anymore. Their die wore out. That was such a bummer because it was non stop shopping there. I picked up 18 ebay spokes from ebay just to get riding ASAP. The threads seemed to be misaligned and also shallow. The spokes sure creaked a lot and in a bad way but we needed to build the wheel anyway.

Right now Im stuck at getting a washer done on the brake side. I have a Grizzly mini-lathe but the weird axle of the QS205 is a challenge. Not simply a spacer. I need to make a slotted spacer. Ive got a 5mm spacer on the chain side. Im using a white industires 16/18 sprocket with a 2mm spacer under it. I liked moving the chain over that extra bit to give the chain the most direct line to the spockets possible.

Ill throw up some pics next and then go over the parts list.

The picture function is not working with my android laptop. This will have to do until I can dust off the laptop.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhwrr4lxbquivkn/2017-07-21%2012.42.13.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1o8hizy8so384e/2017-07-27%2018.01.13.jpg?dl=0

Lots of mods for a motor that works real good as it is. Just my opinion. Go on. We want to see the performance results.

I am riding a QS 205 V3 H50 for a while, and the 2 first versions of the cromotor for a very long time. The QS is not mod, other than cutting the flange flat. It is laced in a 65mm wide 24" bicycle rim with 14ga spokes. I had to replace a nipple last week, after about 7000 km and many tires. I have fried a cromotor on this bike before. The QS is heavier but does dissipate heat better. I am happy with it. This is on my street bike, that doesn't ride the mountain trails unless they are in very good conditions. Yet it is ridden very hard, with the controller set to 320A phase and a top speed above 70 Mph. It does see bursts of 25kw everyday, sometimes more.

Back