Operable headlights and taillights

Greetings

I am constructing an enclosed pedal car and would like to install operable headlights and tailights. I am looking for a rechargable battery and lights. Has anyone tried this? Here is my pedal car, from last summer.

Pedal Car profile.JPG

Sure. I recommend buying one that conforms to German StVZO safety standards. Those have a shaped beam to avoid blinding oncoming traffic like a car headlight. You can also buy bicycle headlights powered by a dynamo (generator) hub in one of the wheels. I have that on a couple of my bikes. If you are going to install an ebike kit, you can get lights that are powered from the ebike battery. These are higher voltage than the dynamo powered lights.

https://www.amazon.com/Everbeam-Lig...&qid=1707322061&sprefix=,aps,239&sr=8-26&th=1

I recommend using a buck converter that will knock your main battery voltage down to 12V (or 13.8V) to run car or motorcycle LED lights. Car driving sociopaths will give you more respect and room on the road the more your lighting resembles that of a motor vehicle.

Here are some examples, I haven't used these specific items from these sellers:

If you use an inexpensive Chinese voltage converter, get one with an generous rating, and don't use it at more than about half of the power it's rated for.

If you go the route that Chalo is suggesting, you can just buy a 12V battery to power the lights and an appropriate charger for it. You don't need to use a buck converter unless you are stepping down the voltage from a higher voltage battery like those used in ebike kits.

When I see a BBS02, I assume the presence of an e-bike battery. ;)

It isn't a bad idea to have a backup source of 12V power to keep you lit in case of a flat battery or an electrical issue, though. A small 4S LiFePO4 pack can serve this purpose while using regular 12V charging equipment designed for lead batteries.

When I see a BBS02, I assume the presence of an e-bike battery. ;)

It isn't a bad idea to have a backup source of 12V power to keep you lit in case of a flat battery or an electrical issue, though. A small 4S LiFePO4 pack can serve this purpose while using regular 12V charging equipment designed for lead batteries.
I guess I missed that, but I see it now.

Lots of good advice about lights here already, I just want to say that car is awesome! I'd love to hear more about it. Have you considered creating a thread in the build threads subforum and posting some more pics and details? :D

There are headlights (with a switch and horn) out there that work with voltages up to 72v. There are plenty of headlights/taillights (with turn signals) that work with voltages upto 48v (some even 60v). However most of these do not meet the German standards for cycling lights.

ebikes.ca have several headlights that work with higher voltages from e-bicycle batteries. I believe that most of these headlights do meet the German standard. They also have taillights as well.

For bicycle lights, you do not need to reduce your voltage down to 12 or 6 volts. I do reduce my voltage to 12v for somethings (USB charging ect) but not for lights.

Tom

There are headlights (with a switch and horn) out there that work with voltages up to 72v. There are plenty of headlights/taillights (with turn signals) that work with voltages upto 48v (some even 60v). However most of these do not meet the German standards for cycling lights.
This sort of depends on how comfortable you are running battery voltage to the front and rear of your bike. I use a high voltage front only because there's a battery level voltage output available with the CA3. It's either one buck converter running 12V around the bike, or several buck converters built into the lights and running 72V around the bike.

enclosed pedal car and would like to install operable headlights and tailights.
As you have pedals, you may use this without power. And one day when you are not home, you will so you can get home and work out how the power failed.
Ensure your lights can work when the main power fails. That night you will need this the most.
In addition to battery powered lights and more conventional dynamo lights, there are these: https://reelight.com/collections/battery-free-lights

Back