OTD rules are going to change in the future.

Matt Gruber said:
I don't want to ban anybody from even 1 thread. I often have a better idea on a topic the next day. If somebody including me, makes a dumb response, they should have the chance to think about the topic, and make a better response. I can go back into my last post and clarify my question, but as it is now, the misguided answer stays, confusing people. So the idea is to delete that post, and on my edited post i'd say i deleted a post because my question was not clear, please try again.
Thanks for trying to make ES better :bigthumb:

This is an interesting idea, but is open to abuse by people with less integrity than you have. Our future software may or may not allow such a thing. I'd like to explore the possibility in the future once we are settled into the new platform. That can be the topic of another discussion.

re the improvements, you're welcome.

John in CR said:
FWIW this is the only place on the internet that I discuss anything political, and that's because I feel safe here and trust my fellow ESers not to make efforts to deplatform or cancel me. I post my political views only to try to help those with contrary views.

Same here and 2 people have tried to deplatform me by bringing dishonest complaints to Justin for saying things they disagree with even when i am not being disrespectful, just firm in holding to my point. If one of these people was successful, then i would not only walk away from my position of responsibility, but never post here again. I also don't want this happening to anyone else.

John in CR said:
As long as what goes on in OTD doesn't affect the broader forum in any way, then I don't understand why any rules beyond self-policing are necessary. eg I was perfectly comfortable with just publicly pointing out leisesturm's death threat. That was over a month ago, he didn't repeat it, and I didn't take it seriously to begin with, so the self-policing approach seems to have worked just fine.

We don't have success with that approach so far. I wish we did. if we did, 95% of the moderation i do here would not be related to side effects of the OTD environment.

John in CR said:
I think maybe the issue is that Neptronix wants to be able to post in OTD's more interesting threads, but that leads to a conflict of interest or at least an appearance thereof.

I do but would be willing to give that up and talk about my views in another venue, but don't think it's fair i am held to a different standard than others and have less right to speak. I have walked away in disgust many times from the unproductive warlike environment since everyone is attacking and not listening. But that behavior is still a huge eyesore and toll on me since i have to moderate it. I can't get away from it by walking away.

nep
i don't see why you want to have outside mods. outside the thread, as it is now is just asking for trouble.
What is lacking is an editor function. Each thread has to able to edit out anything the editor sees as unfit for the topic. Abuse? the editor is the thread starter. It is just like a newsletter. Who knows better than the starter/editor? There will be a learning curve, and some editors will be better than others. That is the idea.You can try it with a few, or everybody at once. BUT you will soon be bored as complaints to you will disappear.

Not a bad idea to explore but all forum software was designed for outside moderation. Whereas social media sites do outside/inside.

We should explore the possibility later once we are settled into Xenforo, if it is capable of such a thing.

neptronix said:
John in CR said:
FWIW this is the only place on the internet that I discuss anything political, and that's because I feel safe here and trust my fellow ESers not to make efforts to deplatform or cancel me. I post my political views only to try to help those with contrary views.

Same here and 2 people have tried to deplatform me by bringing dishonest complaints to Justin for saying things they disagree with even when i am not being disrespectful, just firm in holding to my point. If one of these people was successful, then i would not only walk away from my position of responsibility, but never post here again. I also don't want this happening to anyone else.

John in CR said:
As long as what goes on in OTD doesn't affect the broader forum in any way, then I don't understand why any rules beyond self-policing are necessary. eg I was perfectly comfortable with just publicly pointing out leisesturm's death threat. That was over a month ago, he didn't repeat it, and I didn't take it seriously to begin with, so the self-policing approach seems to have worked just fine.

We don't have success with that approach so far. I wish we did. if we did, 95% of the moderation i do here would not be related to side effects of the OTD environment.

John in CR said:
I think maybe the issue is that Neptronix wants to be able to post in OTD's more interesting threads, but that leads to a conflict of interest or at least an appearance thereof.

I do but would be willing to give that up and talk about my views in another venue, but don't think it's fair i am held to a different standard than others and have less right to speak. I have walked away in disgust many times from the unproductive warlike environment since everyone is attacking and not listening. But that behavior is still a huge eyesore and toll on me since i have to moderate it. I can't get away from it by walking away.

Wow, them going and whining to Justin is a sure way to get things shut down, and I think those who did so should have to answer for it publicly. Imagine the good that could be accomplished if Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, etc had to answer openly and publicly for their one sided attack on free speech.

To me this section shouldn't require any moderation, and those who share in this area need to take extra care not to drag anything from here out into the forum. Yes, Neptronix you should be able to participate freely here.

John in CR said:
Wow, them going and whining to Justin is a sure way to get things shut down, and I think those who did so should have to answer for it publicly. Imagine the good that could be accomplished if Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, etc had to answer openly and publicly for their one sided attack on free speech.

Justin is a very reasonable man and has never expressed intention to silence anyone saying controversial things. I would have a big problem if he did. I myself hold no account at any site where censorship is applied as an ideological weapon. That means no reddit, facebook, etc for me. I'm 100% committed to seeing that this doesn't happen here.

John in CR said:
To me this section shouldn't require any moderation, and those who share in this area need to take extra care not to drag anything from here out into the forum. Yes, Neptronix you should be able to participate freely here.

I know you'd like it that way, and i would too, if people could handle free speech without limits without creating the occasional shitstorm. That's a lot to expect. I know of no website where users are that angelic.

There are many better places for participating in super angry ideological wars than this one anyway.

neptronix said:
John in CR said:

Justin is a very reasonable man and has never expressed intention to silence anyone saying controversial things. I would have a big problem if he did. I myself hold no account at any site where censorship is applied as an ideological weapon. That means no reddit, facebook, etc for me. I'm 100% committed to seeing that this doesn't happen here.

I didn't mean that way at all. I could just see from his perspective that this is an EV forum and if OTD is a pain in the ass it would be perfectly reasonable to do away with it.

Things didn't seem out of control to me...maybe I missed some particularly bad posts. People tend to talk angrily when they have no logical argument yet are so convinced of their position that they refuse to even consider an opposing point. Unfortunately tranditional liberals, centrists, libertarians, and conservatives declined engaging with this new breed of leftist, which allowed them to hijack and dominate public discourse. Our laziness to engage means it's going to require confrontations to get back something that includes at least some common sense.

Back