Pedal assist slow response on UKC1/Risun controller

pedrodelgado

1 µW
My controller died and so I bought a new one. Mostly works fine, but the pedal assist is very slow to respond - both starting and stopping pedalling. The start response is annoying, the stopping response is dangerous.

I have used several KT controllers (20A, 30A, 45A) with KT LCD3 displays and the pedal assist has worked great. They are silver, some of them bought from Hallomotor, others on ebay.

My new controller is a Risunmotor (35A, RM36/48S3M35AB, black) with a UKC1 display (UKC1-VS4.7). I can also run the controller with my LCD3 (battery display doesn't work but fine otherwise) - both displays have the slow pedal assist response. I have also tried a similar black RM controller with SW900 display and had same problem.

I've looked at the manual for the UKC1, but no mention of PAS settings. Any thoughts?

I don't know of any response-time settings in those controllers, based on previous posts about them.

The only fix I iknow of for the stopping response is to add an ebrake switch somewhere so you can use that to switch the controller to "idle" (no assist), and set it up so there is no regen braking (so the brake switch does not try to stop you, it just ceases assisting).

If you want real control over the system with PAS, with a safe easy shutoff simply by pedalling backwards a tiny bit if required, you can install the Cycle Analyst v3 from ebikes.ca and use that to translate your control inputs into a throttle signal to run the controller.

Or you can build one of the various projects here on ES that converts your PAS into a throttle, like these:
and fine tune it to work the way you prefer it to.

I don't know of any response-time settings in those controllers, based on previous posts about them.

The only fix I iknow of for the stopping response is to add an ebrake switch somewhere so you can use that to switch the controller to "idle" (no assist), and set it up so there is no regen braking (so the brake switch does not try to stop you, it just ceases assisting).

If you want real control over the system with PAS, with a safe easy shutoff simply by pedalling backwards a tiny bit if required, you can install the Cycle Analyst v3 from ebikes.ca and use that to translate your control inputs into a throttle signal to run the controller.

Or you can build one of the various projects here on ES that converts your PAS into a throttle, like these:
and fine tune it to work the way you prefer it to.
Thanks, I think I'll just get another controller that works properly

Back