Ping battery repair - I think my BMS is bad (now with pics)

yes, i had already seen the 4S BMS v2.5 signalab from ping. why did you decide to go with so low a voltage on your packs?

there is nothing really wrong with using the 8S BMS like he said, but i noticed that right away. there is nothing wrong with the output FETs. they always grind off the markings.

were you able to make the BMS work yet? i guess you are gonna try with the new 4S BMS, the same sense wire plug should work, just make sure the polarity is correct.

dnmun, the 12v packs are more versatile and practical for my needs. Once I get the bad BMS replaced, I'll have a total 4 good 12v packs that can be used in many configurations. I just couldn't justify spending hundreds of dollars for a single higher-voltage battery that would only be used on my bike. I considered the 36v/48v to whatever volts DC-DC inverters, but decided they were too expensive and bulky. 12v stuff (including inverters)...you can get everywhere, and fairly cheap nowadays. A very portable 12v/60ah battery pack is going to be really nice to have on camping trips. I need to find a cheap trolling motor to test these on because it would be awesome if I could use these on a 1-man inflatable watercraft.

I haven't done anything further with the old/broken BMS, however my goal is to fix it one day. You've inspired me to take an electronics course with your troubleshooting help. Thanks for all the help because I had a lot of fun! For now, the plan is to solder on the new 4s BMS to get my battery working again. Thanks for the tip about the sense wires.

don't take courses, it will ruin your interest. do like john camlight said and just teach yourself stuff a little bit at a time. i suspect you will find there is nothing wrong with that 8S BMS, the problems are not usually where you think they are.

usually you have to break stuff first in order to figure out how they work, then buy a new one. when you install the new one, you find the other thing that was wrong that shut you down the first time.

i can never find my tools until after i go borrow them from my neighbor even if i spend days looking for them. soon as i am done, they appear from underneath something else. but breaking expensive stuff is useful, it focuses the mind when you think about how much the new one is gonna cost.

Back