Planning ultralight, stealthy, silent build, questions..

What is your budget?
You will all laugh and I don´t need doubt and impossibilities. Let´s see where it lands ;)

Another issue.. Frames I want, thru axles of course..
Can I do this, according to the unwritten rules? Double torque arms..?
ERERKJKHJJH.png

Feels like there´s very little progress regarding hub motors these days or am I missing something? Need some advice.

I found the q100 and Xiongda Ytw-06 to be the smallest viable motors available but these are old motors. Certainly there is some better options going into 2024?
The Ytw-06 takes a maximum 28" wheels, I want to do 29", is this possible and why wouldn't it be?
Is there a way to silence something like the Ytw-06 by filling it with grease? I've seen people fill the q100 with oil for cooling, does it improve the noise levels as well?

More questions to come!

I've i've stated the YTW-06 is the lowest quality hub motor i have ever received, the first one was broken, the second one was faulty, i ended up giving up on the company.

Please consider reading this before purchasing that motor:

https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/threads/major-quality-control-issues-at-xiongda-ytw-06-siezed-after-1-mile.96895/#post-1420401

I've i've stated the YTW-06 is the lowest quality hub motor i have ever received, the first one was broken, the second one was faulty, i ended up giving up on the company.

Please consider reading this before purchasing that motor:

https://endless-sphere.com/sphere/threads/major-quality-control-issues-at-xiongda-ytw-06-siezed-after-1-mile.96895/#post-1420401
I´ve read it.. Still 1.4 kg hehe

Others seem to have had better luck and Xiongda claims the noise issue has been solved. I do take that with a big grain of salt..
Probably wont buy it but would love to test it.

Last edited:
I´ve read it.. Still 1.4 kg hehe

Others seem to have had better luck and Xiongda claims the noise issue has been solved. I do take that with a big grain of salt..
Probably wont buy it but would love to test it.

Better luck with the YTW-06 specifically? or their other motors?

I was so disgusted with what i received twice i haven't kept up on development.. lacked proper structural integrity

When it breaks down is when the realization will become clear & real.
I mean it´s pretty cheap..
Better luck with the YTW-06 specifically? or their other motors?

I was so disgusted with what i received twice i haven't kept up on development.. lacked proper structural integrity
Better luck as in they at least got some mileage on it 😄

Keep bringing new ideas and input though we need to step up the stealth game (y)
Why do you need stealth at all? With the weight criteria, you're building something with a tiny motor and battery, which will likely be legal anywhere. Not sure where the stealth is needed.

Adapting a thru axle to accept a slotted axle by using torque arms is something i guarantee won't work.
You are asking a small bolt hole to both stabilize the axle and take the torque. That bolt hole is less than half the diameter of the axle itself.. It's not a question of whether it will eventually ruin the frame, it's a question of how fast.

A torque arm is meant to add to the strength and stability to the axle interface, not supply all of the strength!

Another issue.. Frames I want, thru axles of course..
You are Ill-served by being a fad chaser, but that crosses the line into foolishness.

So: sure, whatever, you have one choice of motor and it isn't small. Grin All Axle. Make a 10kg bike with one of those and it will be a laughable abomination.

Why do you need stealth at all? With the weight criteria, you're building something with a tiny motor and battery, which will likely be legal anywhere. Not sure where the stealth is needed.
Legal or not I do like good looking things. To be real honest, 90% of bikes on here looks like... yea... :whistle:

Adapting a thru axle to accept a slotted axle by using torque arms is something i guarantee won't work.
You are asking a small bolt hole to both stabilize the axle and take the torque. That bolt hole is less than half the diameter of the axle itself.. It's not a question of whether it will eventually ruin the frame, it's a question of how fast.

A torque arm is meant to add to the strength and stability to the axle interface, not supply all of the strength!
Alright I guess I have to add the 100gr/$250 extra for a QR frame. I just feel like there should be some way this time of age?

You are Ill-served by being a fad chaser, but that crosses the line into foolishness.

So: sure, whatever, you have one choice of motor and it isn't small. Grin All Axle. Make a 10kg bike with one of those and it will be a laughable abomination.
Good, that confirms I'm in the right place exactly where I want to be. Yes, Grin all axle is laughable I agree :)

Hey what about this type, surely we can do something with this??
werwer.png

I hope my local machinist can provide that. Should be no problems right? Just make them slotted, right size ofc and we good to go?
Why are you adding weight? You need to be serious about your goal. Forget about the slotted dropouts. Have him cut the axles and weld them directly to the fabricated dropouts, and lose that weight plus that from the nuts and washers.

Why are you adding weight? You need to be serious about your goal. Forget about the slotted dropouts. Have him cut the axles and weld them directly to the fabricated dropouts, and lose that weight plus that from the nuts and washers.
I like it! But that would result in no way of changing cassette? Also.. cables..

I like it! But that would result in no way of changing cassette? Also.. cables..
Stop changing the criteria, or state it in it's entirety. You'll never achieve a goal if you keep changing it, otherwise it's just a whim or fantasy. I knew you weren't serious as soon as you decided to add 250 grams, without removing that amount or more. Fully define your target.

Stop changing the criteria, or state it in it's entirety. You'll never achieve a goal if you keep changing it, otherwise it's just a whim or fantasy. I knew you weren't serious as soon as you decided to add 250 grams, without removing that amount or more. Fully define your target.
What do you mean? I don't even know what motor I'll get. Criteria remains but depends on the setup right.. I´m fine with a heavier then 10kg bike with the SX2 but I'm not sure I will go that route yet. It depends.

Reading thru the forums I realize what´s seems impossible to most of you seems very plausible to me. Let´s see how it goes.
I am serious, bike will be built. Questions remains..

Add 250g to what? Hangers, like in redoing them?
Would be cool if it actually functions as well..

Last edited:
Your slotted dropout solution is in direct conflict with two of your criteria; it adds weight and isn't stealthy/pretty, unless you feel that having two big shiny M14 nuts holding the rear wheel on a modern frame is "stealthy". Don't keep aiming away from the target if you're serious.

Your slotted dropout solution is in direct conflict with two of your criteria; it adds weight and isn't stealthy/pretty, unless you feel that having two big shiny M14 nuts holding the rear wheel on a modern frame is "stealthy". Don't keep aiming away from the target if you're serious.
I really don't see how making these things would add significant weight and they are certainly pretty enough even with a big nut, that doesn't even need to be shiny.

rert.png
M14 nuts doesn´t seem to be the issue when considering a ∼140mm hub motor in the rear.. 😄

I really don't see how making these things would add significant weight and they are certainly pretty enough even with a big nut, that doesn't even need to be shiny.

View attachment 339619
M14 nuts doesn´t seem to be the issue when considering a ∼140mm hub motor in the rear.. 😄
If you fabricate out of steel you don't need to add torque arms.

Kinda sad to see this getting snarky.

croowley, is this your first bike build?

If so, please don't shoot for perfection up front.. you don't know what you don't know, you also find out what you really want after a first build. Don't let your first big problem be axle fitment though, i suggest keeping that part simple and straightforward.

When i first came on this forum, i tried to build the same kind of bike you're talking about.. of course my preferences changed over time.. this may happen to you too!

Back