Post Your Electric Longboard or Electric Mountainboard Build

How do the brushless motors hold up to dirt/dust kicked up with these all-terrain builds? Especially interested in input from people with the motors mounted below the board, riding in dusty/dirty conditions, gravel paths, dirt paths etc. I noticed a lot of the mountainboard builds mount the motors above/in front/behind the board. Do you guys clean the motors? have you noticed any dust/dirt-induced damage?

torqueboards said:
Cool build. I've seen the photo before but didn't even notice those were my mounts. Nice and compact build. I've always liked the shorter boards 30" - 34".

Thanks again, I look forward to adding your Wiimote controller into the mix as well.

austindavid said:
ehock said:
  • Speed: 20-22 mph
    Distance: 8-10+ (still doing testing)
    Weight: 12.5 - 13 lbs.

I bet you could do more than 10 with that 8Ah / 6s string. Keep us posted when you're brave enough to actually run it out of juice!

Thanks! I changed the wheels to 90mm and did some "beta" testing with friends over the weekend, it was pushing close to 7.5-8 miles (Hit ~24-25+ mph) exactly before it ran out of power.That said, I may have a separate issue with one of my battery packs having a problem cell, it seems to drop to a 5S via the voltmeter once it gets lower than 3.7v per cell. It may be time for an upgrade.

Attachments

• board_1 (Small).jpg
    board_1 (Small).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 6,560
Let me post this here also. I call it bonebreaker since my last crash. 8)

Full spec:
top speed: ~50km/h (you don't wanna ride with that speed without full-face helmet and pads for knees and elbows)
average range: 20km
power: 5.4kW (7hp)
batteries: 2x10S 5Ah
motors: dual sk3 6463 245kv
esc: heli esc Turnigy delux 80A
drive: chain drive with 7.5 ratio
controller: GalWii controller with thumb throttle
brake: my version of brakes, similar to MBS V brakes.
board: MBS Atom 85
trucks: MBS ATS Truck
tires: MBS roadie tires (200mm)

There is nearly no hill in existence that this board couldn't climb. jk jk

IMG_7483.jpg

IMG_7484.jpg

IMG_7486.jpg

IMG_7470.jpg

IMG_7488.jpg

IMG_7492.jpg

IMG_7471.jpg

IMG_7482.jpg

This is my charging station. iCharger and batteries on top of 28-52V 30A DC power supply.
IMG_7474.jpg

torqueboards said:
@ehock - Nice build... What's the weight of your board? You'll like the wiiceiver it's pretty awesome.

@torqueboards...it was about 12.5-13 lbs....but my recent upgrade to 90mm wheels added a bit of weight. It's ~ 14 lbs now.

Oh man... what a beauty - looking at the numbers, I come up to 25km/h avg. , a 275W avg electric consumption and a specific consumption of 11Wh/km - But the TOP SPEED is amaizing :twisted:

made_in_the_alps_legacy said:
Oh man... what a beauty - looking at the numbers, I come up to 25km/h avg. , a 275W avg electric consumption and a specific consumption of 11Wh/km - But the TOP SPEED is amaizing :twisted:

What is 25km/h Avg?

Euh... "average speed" based on "average range" divided by "average battery range" (with those values, this board seems as good as the one made by recumpence/matt in his "battery range " topic :wink:

i sort of assumed you were talking average speed but was late & i was tired....... anyway I calc it at slightly less = 24km/h average speed :)

Here's a teaser of my current build. Its based off of a senior project I worked on and 1 of 6 prototypes. This one has a quite a few upgrades though.

This is my first board the Outrunner Board, It was built for a class project. I wish I would have found this website back then, we could have made a better board.
Specs are:
Sk3 5055 320kv motors
HTD 5M 12/36 gearing
3d printed hangar clamps
cnc cut aluminum motor plates
Hk150 esc w custom heatsink
Turnigy 6s 5.8ah x 2
Custom Omen Kush 16plies
Orangatang wheels 3d printed spacers

Current setup will do about 22mph, haven't ran through a whole pack before charging yet. Previous 450kv motors, 5Ah batteries did 31mph and 15miles no coasting.

The 450kv gearing was the same. It was really way too fast. That's 31mph not distance, but uphill or flat it would do it. 15mile range, no coasting and very spirited riding.
I took a dump at about 30mph after a stall. My arms were all scraped up. Its really too fast that's why I went to a slower motor. 22mph is still fast, I'm a big fan of around 15mph.
Yes all of the electrics are inside for a pretty clean look. I will see about getting some pics of the inside.

rs4race said:
The 450kv gearing was the same. It was really way too fast. That's 31mph not distance, but uphill or flat it would do it. 15mile range, no coasting and very spirited riding.
I took a dump at about 30mph after a stall. My arms were all scraped up. Its really too fast that's why I went to a slower motor. 22mph is still fast, I'm a big fan of around 15mph.
Yes all of the electrics are inside for a pretty clean look. I will see about getting some pics of the inside.

Haha, yeah those higher kv motors are ridiculously fast. 15 mile range on 5ah is nuts.. I wonder if that's due to the higher kv? How were you able to pull 15 miles from a 5ah?

Yeah, 15mph maybe 18mph is the sweet spot. Any faster is pretty dangerous lol I'm not too fond of the electric brakes at that speed. At 15mph, you can still slightly make split decisions and if you do fall -- it's not as bad.

How many miles did you cover on those brackets? Are the brackets holding well?

Did you place any set screws/bolts in the caliber hanger?

Back