Programming the Bafang Middrive BBS01+BBS02

I use the bike all my life really, grown up on a bike :D so using it as an ebike made me really enjoy it again at an older age. I hardly use my car anymore. The Bafang midmotor was an eye opener. I never liked the front and rear wheel drives. Was not efficient enough. The midmotor uses the gears which is an absolute must for me.
PS here all the oldies have ebikes with Bosch,Yamaha etc. midengines. Very, very popular but limited to 25km/h which is terrible. All the modern bikes are torque driven. PAS is only for cheaper front and rear drives.
My wife has a torque driven ebike and its ok. But the nice thing with the throttle on the Bafang is something I immediately miss when its not there.

Yesterday i got my USB->Serial TTL adater and this is now my programming kit for my BBS02. The switch turns the controller on/off.
kabel.jpg

Works like a charm. Just wanted to say thank you all for this thread and all the great info. The ride is a lot better with new konfig i copied from someone in this thread.

I have a Tripod velomobile from Columbia Cycle Works in Portland Oregon. It uses a Bafang 750W BBS02 drive. I'd like to get into customizing some of the programming. Primarily, I'm interested in making my throttle work on PAS 0 so that I don't have any power assist except for the throttle. I'm pretty sure from what I've read in this thread how to go about this including making the USB to Serial TTL cable that's necessary. What I can't seem to find, however, is a link that I can download the Bafang flash editing software from? The very first post in this thread provides a link, but to get it from there, I'd have to join a foreign website and pay for the download. Is this the only link that I can get the software from?

Thanks!

Charlie

el_raton said:
Just another version of the Bafang software wich is now translatet to german and ready to tramslate into other languages.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kloq1693e4n186/Bafang.zip?dl=0
kind regatds from Germany

Text from files...

1) disconnect the battery.
2) make your usb connections
3) connect the battery
try the software.

Nr.1: Helptopic

Low Voltage Cutoff
To avoid damaging the battery pack, this should not be set, too low.
For 37V (10s Li-Ion) battery packs, do not set below 30V.
For 48V (13s Li-Ion) battery packs, do not set below 39V.

Ask your battery manufacturer for the correct value.

Nr.2: Current Limit

The higher this is set, the higher the torque of the system.

If you get an error while riding the bike, this setting may be too high.
The maximum permissible value is dependent on the controller's firmware

Nr.3: Current/Speed Limit in Percent

The maximum current is set on this page.
The maximum speed is set on the page "Pedal Assist"
While riding, you can select up to 9 different PAS assist levels.

Here, each of these levels can be set to an individual maximum current and maximum speed in percent of the above values.

Nr.4: Wheel diameter in inch

Do not forget to also set this on the display.

Nr.5: Leave this set to External Wheel Meter

Nr.6: Number of magnets for the speed sensor.

This is usually set to one.
Increase the number of magnets for higher resolution.

Nr.7: Leave this set to DoubleSignal-24

Nr.8: Designated Assist Level

Usually this is set to "By Display's Command"
You can force the controller into a specific assist level.

Nr.9: Speed Limit

Usually this is set to "By Display's Command"
You can choose a different maximum speed.

added the multi language programming software (english , español, french, german, italian, portuguese, swedish, turkish) to the first post: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58780&p=877531#p877531

file.php

Attachments

• BBS01_1.jpg
    BBS01_1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,594
Hi guys,
I have a bafang bbs02 750w, I read some weeks ago it's possible to program my controller without using the screen.
Someone can tell me where ? I'm looking for but I don't find...
Thank you !

edit: Haha sorry, I'll try the way described in the first page.

alexis57 said:
Hi guys,
I have a bafang bbs02 750w, I read some weeks ago it's possible to program my controller without using the screen.
Thank you !
Are you serious? If you read the first pages of this thread you'll be good to go.

People still dont understand how forum works! Argh

Look, this gets really confusing, especially if someone is new. I've belonged to a Vespa forum for almost a decade. We consider it rude to not answer or especially rude to answer by saying search. Something even moderators will do hear. Isn't it just as easy to point someone to the information? Maybe it's because I had a hard time sorting at first. But without proper nomenclature, something a n00b seldom has, describing or forming a question is hard. Why not take the same time and provide a reasonable answer? Because many time people DON'T know how a forum works....

alexis57 said:
Hi guys,
Thank you !

edit: Haha sorry, I'll try the way described in the first page.

You can access the controller with a cable made to connect. Very easy. If after reading the first few pages you are still confused holler out or send a PM and I'll point you in the right direction. Cool motor! enjoy the ride. But be advised, unless you have some compelling reason programming may not be needed and may even be damaging to your motor if you poke around and change things without understanding why.

Even vendors have had problems with their programming. Best advise? Buy from a seller that properly programs and leave the controller alone unless directed to make specific changes for specific reasons.

tomjasz said:
Look, this gets really confusing, especially if someone is new. I've belonged to a Vespa forum for almost a decade. We consider it rude to not answer or especially rude to answer by saying search. Something even moderators will do hear. Isn't it just as easy to point someone to the information? Maybe it's because I had a hard time sorting at first. But without proper nomenclature, something a n00b seldom has, describing or forming a question is hard. Why not take the same time and provide a reasonable answer? Because many time people DON'T know how a forum works....

Lol, so it is rude? So you find it ok when every second post in thread will be a request from a new user to exactly give him the steps where and what to do and run? Come on. Even in this thread is many times same question, my USB to TTL connection not working, help to fix. That is stupid and that people are lazy to search and troubleshoot!. There is lot of advice on net how to make it work. People which are finding real info in thread then must go over huge balast!

It takes nor more energy to just simply answer. I don't assume anyone is stupid or lazy, I do assume they might be as overwhelmed as I was. Simples really.

Just a quick note:

The current 750W can run 0 PAS and Throttle ON straight out of the box.

cruiser said:
Just a quick note:

from which vendor?

tomjasz said:
cruiser said:
Just a quick note:

from which vendor?

My 750w BBS02 arrived set up like this from Paul at em3ev.com (and with the speed limit disabled).
The throttle works in any PAS level, including zero, and always over rides the PAS if used. It even reduces the PAS input power level if you apply throttle to a lesser amount than the PAS is contributing.

leelorr said:
tomjasz said:
cruiser said:
Just a quick note:

from which vendor?

My 750w BBS02 arrived set up like this from Paul at em3ev.com (and with the speed limit disabled).
The throttle works in any PAS level, including zero, and always over rides the PAS if used. It even reduces the PAS input power level if you apply throttle to a lesser amount than the PAS is contributing.
Why I asked Cruiser. I am aware EM3ev sets up 0 PAS, I wondered who else does. Paul, EM3ev consistently leads the way in programming and in supplying motors with the latest upgrades. Something not guaranteed and often not the case with other vendors. Heck some vendors are still selling 5 screw motor cases. When current release is 7 screw. Another reason to buy from EM3ev and California eBikes. Buyer beware, there's a reason for those budget prices from some other vendors.

Set 0 assist to speed 1% and current 1%, the throttle will work in 0 setting.

I'm trying to fully understand the settings work mode and current decay properly.

I use my bike off road on rough terrain so the settings are going to be a bit different to road settings.

I'm trying to find a way of making the initial power delivery at low cadence low so that at low speeds it doesn't just keep giving kicks of power when you start pedaling, but once moving adds a bit more power, and then backs it off again at high cadence, any idea what setting does this? I wan't a kind of bell curve of power delivery vs cadence if that makes sense?

My 'work mode' is set to 'undeterminated', I am struggling to find an answer for what this means?

I have tried Keplers settings but did not like the limit speed set to 100% as the bike just continues to accelerate until the power cannot sustain any more speed (this also makes me naturally reduce pedal effort to keep the speed down).

drprox said:
I'm trying to fully understand the settings work mode and current decay properly.

I use my bike off road on rough terrain so the settings are going to be a bit different to road settings.

I'm trying to find a way of making the initial power delivery at low cadence low so that at low speeds it doesn't just keep giving kicks of power when you start pedaling, but once moving adds a bit more power, and then backs it off again at high cadence, any idea what setting does this? I wan't a kind of bell curve of power delivery vs cadence if that makes sense?

My 'work mode' is set to 'undeterminated', I am struggling to find an answer for what this means?

I have tried Keplers settings but did not like the limit speed set to 100% as the bike just continues to accelerate until the power cannot sustain any more speed (this also makes me naturally reduce pedal effort to keep the speed down).

Set caddence to 100% at high power PAS is not a good idea as then it wants you to speed up to high speeds and caddence is also too hight and you can not effectively peddaling. I have 64%. You can have 100% speed at low power <300W as then air drag is limiting your max speed.

If you dont wanna have initial kick, set start curren lower. Then the motor is going on constant predifined PAS power and when you reaching defined caddence, it will linearry lower power up to zero W when you can maintain defined caddence by your pedalling. I think it is good behaviour for a system without torque sensor.
I still using throttle at full power for initial kick to speed me up to desire speed, then I just peddaling. I like how powerfull is this motor.

This morning I reduced startup current to 20% and slow start set to 5, it's better as mine had 40% by default.

I agree with the guy a few pages back that on the BASIC tab, the speed limits are actually cadence limits, not road speed. Knowing this helps hugely in letting the motor back off as pedal rpm increases. Something like 64% as you say is probably quite good to keep a reasonable cadence, but use the gears to control speed.

From what I have read 'keep current' is related to how much the current tails off with RPM. Current decay must set how abrupt this happens, mine is set to 8 and I think this may be the cause of oscillations in the motor turning on and off as you reach your defined cadence speed. I will try lowering this tonight to see if it helps.

Work mode is still confusing however. No idea what 'undeterminated' means.

drprox said:
This morning I reduced startup current to 20% and slow start set to 5, it's better as mine had 40% by default.

I agree with the guy a few pages back that on the BASIC tab, the speed limits are actually cadence limits, not road speed. Knowing this helps hugely in letting the motor back off as pedal rpm increases. Something like 64% as you say is probably quite good to keep a reasonable cadence, but use the gears to control speed.

From what I have read 'keep current' is related to how much the current tails off with RPM. Current decay must set how abrupt this happens, mine is set to 8 and I think this may be the cause of oscillations in the motor turning on and off as you reach your defined cadence speed. I will try lowering this tonight to see if it helps.

In my experience the basic % limits both speed and cadence, at least on mine.

tahustvedt said:
drprox said:

In my experience the basic % limits both speed and cadence, at least on mine.

No, just caddence. Check what you have setup under PAS tab in max speed, could be hardcoded or by display.

Back