Programming the Bafang Middrive BBS01+BBS02

Whitehawk said:
Hi all,

Do you know if it's possible to lower under 38v the low voltage cut-off of the 48v BBS02 ? With the aim to use 36v battery ....

Thanks a lot !

I think it is not a question of turn off voltage. Controller and motor winding is setup for 48 V. You would get batt error. Buy 500W motor.

Hey Guys, What setting programs how long the cut off sensors cut power for? I am using a gear sensor and would like a longer power cut.

Just looking at helping with a BBS02 kit for a friend.
So posting to subscribe to this thread and also a couple of questions.

Buying from CellMan (em3ev). 48v 750w probably with c965 display
44t front 11T smallest rear

Will need to build up a programming cable. Already have a CAV3 cable so need to make up adapter. Just wonder if anyone found a source of the correct plugs to make program cable ? Or are we still limited to 'hacks' with jumpers to the motor (controller) plug.

With the spec as listed, 48v/750W 44T /11T rear on 26 inch wheels, what is likely top speed?

This is the bike

image.jpg

NeilP said:

Will need to build up a programming cable. Already have a CAV3 cable so need to make up adapter. Just wonder if anyone found a source of the correct plugs to make program cable ? Or are we still limited to 'hacks' with jumpers to the motor (controller) plug.

With the spec as listed, 48v/750W 44T /11T rear on 26 inch wheels, what is likely top speed?

This is the bike

48kmh without peddaling

Hi all,
I just finished my ebike build with a BBS02 750w with 48v11.6ah on a 29er. It dont do more than 26 km/h on PAS and around 35 km/t with throttle. How can I increase this speed without using the "hacking" cabel?

DaDo.Bzz said:
[
48kmh without peddaling

Thanks

Need to get myself a programming cable sorted too.

Did anyone find a source of the matching plugs?

Can't help with your issue Commuterman, though if it does only 35 on a 29'er where I have been told I should get 48 kph on the 26, well it could be gearing issue if the motor is already topping out at max RPM...or it could be a current issue..maybe the extra 'gearing' caused by the larger diameter wheels means the load is too great and power is limiting that ability to accelerate.

As a wild guess, I just wonder if maybe you get a higher speed if you were not in top gear? go in a lower gear and give the motor less load ? so it spins up easier? No idea, only a guess.

Otherwise a programming cable is going to be needed.
I am looking at the programming , and my mate has not even got the kit yet.

Thanks for your answer.

Its a 8 speed. The motor just cut of after i reach 26-27 km/h on PAS. On throttle it just stops around 35, today i got up to 38 with pedling and throttle and max gear.
It only have 3 PAS levels..

Thinking I might be needing a programing cabel, but do not want to ruine the warrenty. Forgot to mention I have a C965 display. Is it possible to change some settings on this one to increase the top speed?

My BBS02 750W on a 29er does 54 Kph on the flat with no wind on full throttle.
It has a 44T chainwheel and 34-11T cassette.
Your bike may be limited by the lcd,I set my max speed to 50Kph (I have the C961 display) and have 9 PAS levels.
The C965 speed limit is normally set at 27Kph but can be altered in the settings.
Instructions are at this link http://vacano.de/BAFANG/Manual C965.pdf

Which is the best display unit to get?
i see there are 3 types, 965 961 and one other?

From my brief reading i thought the 965 was the one with the fastest speed setting.
Order not completed yuet, so maybe time to change if the 965 is not the one to go for

which has greatest flexibility?

Paul at em3ev seems to sell a 5 button and a 3 button 965...or is that a typo on his site?

I don't see any real advantage or disadvantage between display versions. It's really more about esthetics IMO. I prefer the 961. Again because it fits my layout well.

DaDo.Bzz said:
NeilP said:

This is the bike

48kmh without peddaling
I have two bikes with a 750W BBS02. The 26" tops out at 43km/h f full throttle no pedaling.
The 28" tops out at 44km/h.

Both have 44x11t.

tomjasz said:
I don't see any real advantage or disadvantage between display versions. It's really more about esthetics IMO. I prefer the 961. Again because it fits my layout well.

Not a lot of difference, this is the 965a i got with the latest kit, the 965 has a Watt meter if it makes any difference.

tommie said:
...the 965 has a Watt meter if it makes any difference.
But is it useful? It really doesn't offer me much...

NeilP said:
For me, a watt meter is the one I would prefer.
I found it inaccurate and exchanged it for a 961. I compared readings to a CA3 with a shunt. I found it not only inaccurate, but inconsistent. I'm assuming my CA3 is accurate. If it were always off the same percentage value it would have been useful. But I only tested one 965. It may have been an isolated problem.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 12.29.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 12.29.00 PM.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 2,733
BTW The wattmeter on the 965 only displays the wattage being consumed at that instant. Useful to avoid a meltdown, otherwise?

tomjasz said:
BTW The wattmeter on the 965 only displays the wattage being consumed at that instant. Useful to avoid a meltdown, otherwise?

so does the main display on the CA ...accepting the averaging , that is user adjustable.

tomjasz said:

And what else you want from watt meter? ;)) Is helpfull when u wanna save energy when you going longer distances.

965 is nice and installed in the middle. 3 button is same lcd with newer remote with 3 buttons. 3 buttons enough and is much smaller remote (little bit copied from bosh).

old version of 965 lcd has also temperature.

NeilP said:
For me, a watt meter is the one I would prefer.

See my reply on your other post ...

There really has never been an "official" cable. The TTL cable from ebikes.ca will work with W10. You'll need a controller extension cable from your supplier. EM3ev does not list them but they are available. Paul stopped listing them when he got numerous returns from experimenters. He even stopped selling replacement controllers to customers that didn't buy their BBS02 from him. I humbly suggest you don't hurry into programming. Ride first. Review your ride and decide if the changes discussed are of value. Just because the FET upgrade finally happened doesn't mean poking around and experimenting with settings won't create a problem. Read Karl's comments on electric fat bike.

http://electric-fatbike.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs02/

http://electric-fatbike.com/2015/08/18/care-and-feeding-for-your-new-bbs02/

http://electric-fatbike.com/2015/03/17/programming-the-bbs02-without-frying-your-controller-and-losing-your-sanity/

tomjasz said:
There really has never been an "official" cable. I humbly suggest you don't hurry into programming. Ride first. Review your ride and decide if the changes discussed are of value.

When I say official, I meant one of the quality pre-built cables. Got one arriving from EMPowered soon.

I've already ridden 1200 miles on my BBS02, and just need to tweak down the current % levels in the lower PAS settings, as I think they are set a tad too high at the mo for my style of riding. More like fine tuning, than squeezing every last ounce of performance from the unit, which would contribute to its demise.

Ref: BBS02 48v 750w 25A

I've read quite a bit on how the Bafang's controller programming works, but I'm still not sure on one thing.

Does the controller act on signals from the wheel sensor to reference data from the Basic menu and decide how fast to spin the motor, or does the Limit Speed(%) simply spin the motor at a percentage of its maximum spin speed, regardless of how fast the bike is actually travelling?

alfantastic said:
Ref: BBS02 48v 750w 25A

I've read quite a bit on how the Bafang's controller programming works, but I'm still not sure on one thing.

Does the controller act on signals from the wheel sensor to reference data from the Basic menu and decide how fast to spin the motor, or does the Limit Speed(%) simply spin the motor at a percentage of its maximum spin speed, regardless of how fast the bike is actually travelling?

Both. Depend which one hit the level first. But setup max speed to max (if you dont wanna have it official for roads) and then just caddence according to your needs.

Back