Programming the Bafang Middrive BBS01+BBS02

I will be borrowing a PC from a family members place of business. It has windows 10 and I have read in this thread its best to use the compatability mode choosing windows 8 when using the program cable. I am a mac user so I will be faced with a bit of a learning curve I guess as I muddle through things. I read here in this thread also when going with the windows 8 option we are to start in the Administrator mode.

- I am not sure if this is something that would need a password when the administator mode is selected?
As this the computor I will be borrowing is not mine I dont feel right about asking for passwords etc

waynebergman said:
I will be borrowing a PC from a family members place of business. It has windows 10 and I have read in this thread its best to use the compatability mode choosing windows 8 when using the program cable. I am a mac user so I will be faced with a bit of a learning curve I guess as I muddle through things. I read here in this thread also when going with the windows 8 option we are to start in the Administrator mode.

- I am not sure if this is something that would need a password when the administator mode is selected?
As this the computor I will be borrowing is not mine I dont feel right about asking for passwords etc

I had and old copy of Windows XP2 and installed that on my Mac using free VirtualBox app. Works like a charm. Unfortunately XP2 won't run battery logging apps latest version but it does just fine programming the BBS0x.

Hope that helps,

Thomas

waynebergman said:

I used a driver from Prolific, which has worked on Windows 10 without using compatibility mode:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41

Hi guys,
Just wanted to give you an update on the gearsensor I installed. I kept the settings from when I first configured the BBS02.

I had an issue in the beginning where the gearsensor would move when I was shifting, so it wouldn't register the gear change.
With a cable tie round the frame and the sensor it is now staying in place and the shifting just works very smooth, cutting out the motor on time and kicking back in quickly enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN_eSjcJ704

Cheers,
Ka

kfranchoo said:
Hi guys,
Just wanted to give you an update on the gearsensor I installed. I kept the settings from when I first configured the BBS02.

I had an issue in the beginning where the gearsensor would move when I was shifting, so it wouldn't register the gear change.
With a cable tie round the frame and the sensor it is now staying in place and the shifting just works very smooth, cutting out the motor on time and kicking back in quickly enough.
Nice :D

Could you provide a link to the actual product please, and any links to threads relating to the gear sensor on this forum.

Thanks.

[/quote]
Nice :D

Could you provide a link to the actual product please, and any links to threads relating to the gear sensor on this forum.

Thanks.[/quote]

Hi,
You can find the dealers on http://gearsensor.com/.
I bought mine in http://www.alcedoitalia.it/

Cheers.

The USA exclusive distributor is Lectric Cyles. $115 shipped OUCH! When a tap on the brake does nearly the same thing.

http://www.lectriccycles.com/gear-sensor/

I can buy a couple and ship em cheaper. Im not a company so technically no distributor competition.. ;)

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60963&hilit=gearsensor

Screen Shot 2015-12-19 at 6.47.44 PM.jpgbafang com port.jpg
I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem......I am using windows 8.1. I have downloaded the programing file and entered in the com port info, in my case it is COM3 but in the screen shot that is shown here its shows "com4" as this is a screen shot from Karls instructions just to give reference to the softwares interface. What has got me confussed is after I enter this com port in the Bafang software the controller info is supposed to fill in but it Does NOT. Also when I plug in the program cable from the computor to the motor the read fields and the write fields are greyed out so it seems like the info from both the cable and the motor is not getting through into the bafang software.
Any ideas appreciated........wayne

got it to work. Just took time for the com port to show up with the right driver I think was the issue. Finally the com port 4 showed up which is the one i needed not the comport 3.

Hi,

I wonder if setting speed limit to 100% on each PAS value is equivalent to torque simulation controller?

This reply is a paste from my Bafang Fat Tire build thread, https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74706 sorry for the duplication. I am only on page 10 of this thread so not sure if Jarkko's findings here have been discussed. Any feedback on this finding appreciated.......

From Karls site, text below in red from Jarkko.......
"Hi Karl!
Really REALLY good work compiling all this info on one page!!!
I have a little more info about the: Start Voltage(x100mv) -setting.
I was trying to get my throttle free play a bit smaller and lowered this setting to 9. There was still no error, but the PAS was very, very jerky especially at lower cadences. And I mean unbearable jerky. I don’t know why this happens, maybe the 5V “reference” signal is unstable and altering when motor is under heavy load or something like that.

Might be a good to know for others too, because I’ve had some minor jerking problems with other drives I’ve assembled too.

Of course this might be effective only with some other setting modifications I’ve made. If someone else could also try this out and confirm, we’d have a new little piece on information about this set.

But as I said, this page is VERY VERY good thing for all of us BBS owners. Thanks!

Jarkko

This is the only thing I have read to date that makes sense with what I am seeing with my jerking in PAS. I have my throttle set at 10 from the stock 11 so reading what Jarkko is saying I will raise this number to 12 and see if it helps. Thanks Jarkko. I guess at this point we are all learning here how one parameter may effect things you don't think it will. This setting being under the Throttle page you would think would have nothing to do with a pulsing power band in PAS.

For me removing the dead spots in the throttle is more important than smooth pas so if I end up with smooth pas but too much off a dead spot on the throttle I will choose good throttle response but looking forward to testing this out and see what happens regardless. I should get time to do this tomorrow late afternoon.

Anyone else had similar issues with surging PAS related to start voltage settings in throttle, seems crazy?

Jarkko you are the man! I am so glad I stumbled on to your comments on Karl's site. I could not wait for tomorrow and gave it a whirl out in the dark tonight. I did not go far but yep, you have smoothed out the PAS on my first test.Pretty sure this was the setting that was causing me all the grief. I will comment tomorrow after further testing. I set my Start Voltage to 12 and End Voltage to 42.

Could anyone help me with some advice what am I doing wrong? I have bought USB to serial converter (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CH340-Serial-Converter-USB-To-TTL-6PIN-Module-Upgrade-Small-Plate-for-PRO-mini-Instead-of/1856263846.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.49.EfqRji&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1,searchweb201644_1_10001_10002_10005_10006_10003_10004_62,searchweb201560_8,searchweb1451318400_6149).

According several guides I have connected GND, RX, TX, and switched pins 3 and 5 in the green connector to controller. After connecting to USB and plugging battery, the speed sensor lights red (after first wheel movement). But using downloaded program, the Connect does not work - on the USB converter the data led starts blinking with constant frequency, nothing is displayed (version etc.). I have tried start software using compatibility mode, as an administrator, I have also tried to switch RX and TX....everything with the same result. When connected back to display, everything works - so controller is probably ok.

It is important for me to change settings - I need to lower maximum current when low assis levels are selected.

Bafang BBS02 48V 750W
Windows 8

I would very welcome any help. Thanks

Josef

I couldn't get the 99 cents converter to work for me. I bought a ttl/usb from a reliable source. Do you have the drivers installed for the device?

Drivers are installed, it seems to be doing something. I have also tried to change bitrate in driver configuration from 9600 to 1200 directly. I will try different converter and hope.

avess said:
Drivers are installed, it seems to be doing something. I have also tried to change bitrate in driver configuration from 9600 to 1200 directly. I will try different converter and hope.
Try switchting TX/RX wires? May sound dumb but worked for me.

I am confused which one USB converter should I buy. What communication protocol is used exactly? RS232, RS485,.... ?

opperpanter said:
avess said:
Try switchting TX/RX wires? May sound dumb but worked for me.

I have tried it ... the same behavior.

I used a Grin programming cable to make my last one. Works perfect. But not inexpensive. I also used one off amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Deek-Robot-PL2303TA-Convert-Serial-Connector/dp/B016QRFT7O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452201799&sr=8-3&keywords=prolific+ttl+usb

I have a grave problem with programming my BBSO2. Meaning I killed one of my computers and I only have one left with windows 7 on it. I hope you guys can help. :shock: I am able to access the controllerst.exe file just fine. My problem is accessing the USB cable. There is no COM number. It's labeled as USB2.0-Serial and it has a yellow exclamation point next to it. I'm opened the firewall to my ports and still no change. When I click on "Driver Details" it says "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device. It says under "Device status" that the "drivers for this device are not installed". (Code 28) I literally have wasted my whole Saturday trying to figure this out, and killed a computer. Can someone please help me. :?:

LikeToRideMyBike said:
I have a grave problem with programming my BBSO2. Meaning I killed one of my computers and I only have one left with windows 7 on it. I hope you guys can help. :shock: I am able to access the controllerst.exe file just fine. My problem is accessing the USB cable. There is no COM number. It's labeled as USB2.0-Serial and it has a yellow exclamation point next to it. I'm opened the firewall to my ports and still no change. When I click on "Driver Details" it says "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device. It says under "Device status" that the "drivers for this device are not installed". (Code 28) I literally have wasted my whole Saturday trying to figure this out, and killed a computer. Can someone please help me. :?:
You could try downloading and installing the USB driver from the EMPowered Cycles website:

http://www.empoweredcycles.com/products/usb-programming-cable-8fun-bbs02-mid-drive-motor

You have to manually enter the COM number in the space, as the dropdown box does not automatically show COM ports. Well that is what happens on my laptop.

Any computer experts out there...

Can you explain how the event above can happen? How are users managing to fry their controllers?

Anyone a detective?

Back