Purchasing advice for new puncture proof heavy CARGO HEAVY duty ebike tires

Chalo said:
MarkJohnston said:
Anybody have a recommended bullet proof patch kit? The most annoying thing is the glue dries out in the tube after opening eventually and I hate that. The mechanic at the shop said the Vega kit was good. Chalo? Anybody?

I only use Rema Tip Top patch kits and refills if I have the choice, because I don't like to waste my time. Yes the glue dries out a while after you open it. It's cheap; get some extra. You can get a can of it for your home workshop and save the little tubes for on-the-road repairs.

Yeah sorry rema not vega. That's what he has. That guy knows his stuff compared to the other bike shops in the area. I asked for a job but it's a small mom and pop operation and he can't afford a bunch of apprentices in there. Yep. Both tires mounted just fine. Looking good. I just found out my crankset is bent from my last ebike where I slammed into a car and my face broke their wind shield. I was fine and walked away from it. I have a super thick skull or something :lol: :twisted: but it's wreaked havoc on all the parts of that bike. I cannabalized parts off it but many were destroyed by the sheer force of impact. Even the place I recycled the steel frame at said it looked like a super hard impact. Not even a scratch on me lol... :lol:

The cranket is only bent by a couple mm and the bottom bracket is fine THANKFULLY. But that couple mm is enough to make the chain rub like crazy on the derailleur. Not only that though the crankset itself rubs on the derailleur, AND it makes my damn chain TRY AND SHIFT when it under high load pedaling!!! frocking annoying!!! Now I have to buy a new god damn crankset. :evil:

The Continental Tire I have now sure put up with a lot, riding around with it flat or shall I say very low on psi.
The pump and the Presta valve never liked each other.
There was a staple that I thought I had gotten out but it was broken off flush with the tread, I just did not take the time to look over it after I was done. So that probably cost me $5 with the new presta tube I bought a bent presta top thingy. I will head on back for a Shraeder 700.

I could not see the staple from the inside of the tire
The paper towel sliding over it never snagged it
So I think once the tire is up to pressure is when it punctures
I could see a silvery dot on the tread part when I fixed it today

MarkJohnston said:
Now I have to buy a new god damn crankset. :evil:
Wrong mindset.

Most every major metropolitan city has at least one co-op type bike cooperative non-profit educational outfit (some offer workspace, tool usage, workshops, donations, used parts, etc.) that have bins and bins of used parts they take in as donations or strip off their donated bikes that they are glad to sell to raise money and encourage further interest in bicycle. Pennies on the dollar. Suggest you find and frequent one of these, you'll save lots of money and learn something if you are receptive to your fellow cyclists who hang out there.

You are lucky there in L.A. where appear to be several, here are two I found in a quick search:

https://bicyclekitchen.org/

http://www.thebicycletree.org/

99t4 said:
MarkJohnston said:
Now I have to buy a new god damn crankset. :evil:
Wrong mindset.

Most every major metropolitan city has at least one co-op type bike cooperative non-profit educational outfit (some offer workspace, tool usage, workshops, donations, used parts, etc.) that have bins and bins of used parts they take in as donations or strip off their donated bikes that they are glad to sell to raise money and encourage further interest in bicycle. Pennies on the dollar. Suggest you find and frequent one of these, you'll save lots of money and learn something if you are receptive to your fellow cyclists who hang out there.

You are lucky there in L.A. where appear to be several, here are two I found in a quick search:

https://bicyclekitchen.org/

http://www.thebicycletree.org/

Yeah man... I used to live in LA. I'm back in northeen California in a small town. There's are definitely no bike coops here.

The only problem with those bike things is that the mechanics don't know what they're talking about. I used to go to one in LA all the time. They don't even have a torque wrench..

The thing is I'm saving $300 a month on rent living here now so I can probably afford that new $60 crankset as much as I hate to pay for it.

I have boxes of shit I will probably never use, but I just replaced some pedals.
I have abut 8-12 cranksets of which half are matching the other half would just have mixed crank arms.
Neat trick I do is use zip ties to keep pedals together, I have 10-12 matching pedals, another pile of unmatched 2-4 single pedals.
I tried to get the pedals off but some are stuck tight, need a vice grip to help me out.
I have tubes galore as well, just today working and semi-cleaning up halfassedly, I have about 4-8 tubes, 2-3 tires that are jenky a.f. another 3-5 tubes that are probably usable once they go for a good long dunk in a pale of water, tires I have 2-4 that are good but of various sizes. I got fat, 700 and 26, thats what sucks riding mismatched sized tires, 700x35 rear 26x2 front with a fat fork :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The only grand plan there was I am going to switch to mc.

calab said:
I have boxes of shit I will probably never use,

I have abut 8-12 cranksets of which half are matching the other half would just have mixed crank arms.

That might work actually. Do you have an FSA crankset where you can change out the cogs? I only need one for of a crankset lol. I don't even need all the cogs. Just so long it ain't bent

It's a square taper and my other arm is 18mm long.

MarkJohnston said:
Do you have an FSA crankset where you can change out the cogs? I only need one for of a crankset lol. I don't even need all the cogs. Just so long it ain't bent

Where do you live? Most major cities have community bike shops with piles of used stuff available for cheap cheap.

Chalo said:
MarkJohnston said:
Do you have an FSA crankset where you can change out the cogs? I only need one for of a crankset lol. I don't even need all the cogs. Just so long it ain't bent

Where do you live? Most major cities have community bike shops with piles of used stuff available for cheap cheap.

I'm in hillbilly land right now. Redding, Ca. Cow town. Most of the bike shops close on the weekends. It's that bad

Hey are these levers gonna bend on me? I'm guessing dude was trying to get a motorcycle tire off, maybe these are perfect for a bicycle though

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220409-140138.png
    Screenshot_20220409-140138.png
    392.5 KB · Views: 658
MarkJohnston said:
Chalo said:
MarkJohnston said:

I'm in hillbilly land right now. Redding, Ca. Cow town. Most of the bike shops close on the weekends. It's that bad

Still you might have a local cuckoo old dude with a bike hoard. Maybe ask around.

Here is my flat repair kit/plan

Carry the patch kit and a spare inner tube. If the patch kit dries up then there always the tube.

Unfortunately it's impossible to get the tire off without levers with this bead. So I need those too

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220409-145610.png
    Screenshot_20220409-145610.png
    406.3 KB · Views: 653
Metal tire levers can deface or even break your rims. Don't let them be a substitute for good technique. Move the bead wire over to the center before you escalate your weaponry.

Chalo said:
Metal tire levers can deface or even break your rims. Don't let them be a substitute for good technique. Move the bead wire over to the center before you escalate your weaponry.

Yeah it just for getting the bead off the wheel, and the final part of the wheel where the bead is just nearly impossible to do unless you have the dexterity of iron man and the strength fo the hulk

About the best I do is ask if any bicyclist needs help, if they are walking their bike.

All the cranks are square, maybe one or two a step up from that, Octalink. I bought a bunch of brand new 175mm road arms that were like $1.00 so why not buy something you'll never use :lol:

Well it's all set up. Man it looks killer and feels great. The rubber compound feels amazing. For the build of the wheel with such low thread counts it makes a huge world of difference in comfort. Just wow.

Attachments

• PXL_20220410_021928370.jpg
    PXL_20220410_021928370.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 641
  • PXL_20220410_021934549.jpg
    PXL_20220410_021934549.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 641
You got a lot going on with that bike, visually speaking. The eye doesnt know where to start looking and picking up queues.
Part of the reason I think is the zip ties are not trimmed and sharp edges melted a bit.
The silver mirrors stick out.
The big ass KT display is very noticeable.
Does the rear pannier naturally sit that high up?
Looks like a good ride, lets just hope the bike is not too picky

Well... Ill let you guys know how they do. Hopefully I can get a bunch of miles on these before this bikes gets crashed, trashed, or stolen. This is kind of my beater ebike even though some of the components now are well into the $300 range.

Id love to continue to modify her and improve her but there's only so much I can do with all the theives and I see hungry eyes every where I go on this thing. If I could I would

1) brooks saddle
2) new screw on grips
3) LED lights to light up midtube area.
4) $300 downhill lightweight helmet
5) new downhill fork rated for 200 mm rotors.
6) rear wired in red light connected to braking system
7) new monster hub motor
8) steel frame

There's more I'm sure. This thing winds up being a money and time pit. There's only so many upgrades I can do before I just get way too damn attached and start babying it too much. There are so many weirdos out there who go around vandalizing bikes at bike racks, asshole drivers, how much money,.time, and attention should you put into your steel steed? Often people on motorcycles I see them in large groups and they always guard their bikes like hawks.

Anyways I will let you guys know and update this thread in a while hopefully after a few thousand miles how they hold up

calab said:
You got a lot going on with that bike, visually speaking. The eye doesnt know where to start looking and picking up queues.
Part of the reason I think is the zip ties are not trimmed and sharp edges melted a bit.
The silver mirrors stick out.
The big ass KT display is very noticeable.
Does the rear pannier naturally sit that high up?
Looks like a good ride, lets just hope the bike is not too picky

It's the best it's gonna get. Usually I have a second pannier. I should probably just build a massive battery in the midtube area at some point. I'm gonna do that for my next bike and have a huge huge 54.6 60 amp battery

Yeah I wanna say frock stealth but riding around on an unregistered vehicle all the time is bound to get you in trouble. The more " bicycle" looking the better. I can maybe trim off the zip ties. The mirrors are super handy. I like them because I can sit there at a red light watching behind me making sure no is going to come up behind and run me over. Also good for watching behind you on country roads without have to twist your neck. Kind of a PITA cuz you gotta look down to use them but people in TESLAS look down at their stupid dash board computer thing all the time, sooo.im not the only person to design a vehicle with something that makes you look way down

Also I ride on the roads mainly and cars don't usually see you anyways. You are " invisible" lol. But I'm seeing more and more ebikes everyday. It's like the god damn domino effect. All these people see me doing it and rush off to buy their own, or they start using the one they have. Pretty soon everybody will have an ebike and we won't be so invisible anymore.

I just got done with about 1-2hrs of fixing one tube, 4 fresh punctures every time due to tight tire and pinching the tube with the plastic tire levers. Funny thing is, The last go around I got the last 4" of tire bead up and over the rim to fit normally with just the fingers :lol:
I did also change up my tire levers but its definitely pinched.

I had something to do today other then fixing stuff on the ebike.
I got one important thing done on the bike, first thing but the second important thing was the flat.
TBH I rode that tire flat about 15 miles, funny thing is I inspected it thoroughly and no real damage other then some tread worn.
I did get the staple out and the reminants of the staple that was still puncturing tubes.
Now I got the inflated wheel on a cheap department store pump with a psi dial gauge and its holding, 55-60psi holding steady.
Wait until I come back to edit this post, it better hold air.

Obviously I do want another tire, but in 700x40c not 30c and going with the same tire Continental Ride Tour.
I don't think I ever found a Thorn Proof 700 30-40c tube but I do see they are out there, just not local to me.
Most sold out online, this one aint
https://planetcyclery.com/kenda-thorn-resistant-tube-700x28-32c-schrader and its in schrader :thumb:
I have an old 26x2 Kenda thorn proof I will line the new tire with.

I have one spoke missing, on the drive side so needs freewheel removed from the oem rear bicycle hub.
It is fairly straight, I will work on it slowly here and there but I dont ride fast enough for the wobble I have to be difficult to ride, sure I will notice a bit of wobble is my guess.

calab said:
I just got done with about 1-2hrs of fixing one tube, 4 fresh punctures every time due to tight tire and pinching the tube with the plastic tire levers. Funny thing is, The last go around I got the last 4" of tire bead up and over the rim to fit normally with just the fingers :lol:

The first thing you said, coupled with the last thing you said, tells me you need to work on your technique.

s-l1600~2.jpg

I'm 70% sure that carrying heavy cargo has bent the left side of my bikes dropouts inward. It would make sense because those old tires barely absorbed any shock. They were only 30 TPI and bottom of the barrel Kmart junk... I've snapped a couple racks this far, and I'm also wondering if using junk racks may have done this.

Oh well, I'm getting a grin tech v3 off of Amazon to prepare for the eventual frame failure. Hopefully that helps keep my wheel in. Worst case I'll try and ride it out and hopefully the wheel doesn't completley shoot out at 40 mph+.I'm also going to to try and half my carry loads when I can.

I'm also getting this helmet. Looks sick and weighs only 585 grams. I want insurance In case I get thrown over the handle bars at 40mph+. Anything could snap

https://ixs.com/us/bike-ixs-trigger-full-face

Look at the pictures and just look at my rack. It's starting to sag towards the wheel on one side. Not sure if that's tubus fault. Probably not, those Germans know their measurements and they are EXACT

These tires are far far more cushy, comfortable, stable, and shock absorbent than the old. I'm hoping they'll help slow down the bending here. Along with carrying lighter loads

Attachments

• PXL_20220411_031142268.jpg
    PXL_20220411_031142268.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 576
  • PXL_20220411_031147380.jpg
    PXL_20220411_031147380.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 576
  • PXL_20220411_032356377.jpg
    PXL_20220411_032356377.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 571
Looks more like a bent rack to me. Tie the front wheel to the frame to hold the fork straight, and sight the plane of the front wheel against the plane of the front wheel. If they're tilted sideways with respect to each other, then you have a problem. If your wheels agree and your rack doesn't, well, pound the rack until it agrees.

Yeah Im not sure myself Chalo. Would hate to bend and possible break the axle itself.

The rack is brand new and was packaged very carefully. I spent $120 on this thing...

In other news I just got two bikes that were give aways. I'm gonna switch out my front end shock n wheel here. Bomber shocks are good no? Just this frame is toast. Been sitting in my step dad's garage for 8 years

Attachments

• PXL_20220411_044914685.jpg
    PXL_20220411_044914685.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 564
Whats the fun if stuff dont break down on ya and you got to fix it?
Its fun at first, cheaping out and fixing
Then you smarten up, spend mid-range and stuff breaks down less
Then you pay top dollar, credit card warrior and guess what, stuff breaks down even less.

Yeah I get it, we get to know the feel of the bicycle while riding. We are at one with the frame material. We can even feel how much psi are in the tires until theres nothing left.

MarkJohnston said:
Yeah Im not sure myself Chalo. Would hate to bend and possible break the axle itself.

In other news I just got two bikes that were give aways. I'm gonna switch out my front end shock n wheel here. Bomber shocks are good no? Just this frame is toast. Been sitting in my step dad's garage for 8 years

Sorry Kaleb. Yeah I wound up finding out I had 4 inner tubes that I couldn't patch. I'm going to take a bunch of tires n tubes to be recycled..

Back