QS205 3000w vs QS205 5000w

Does anybody really know?

On the QS website there's no QS205 5000w hub motor, only 3000w, but when shopping for QS205 motors I see sellers claiming to have 3000w/6000w motors, and some are claiming theirs are 5000w/10,000w. I have one of the supposedly 5000w ones. My question is, does anyone really know if theres truly a difference?

Unfortunately all I have to offer is general advice and some speculation. :/

QSmotors could probably tell you whcih motor any specific link is selling, if it's even theirs. I don't know if they have two versions, but if they do, most likely the higher power version has a wider stator and magnets (and casing). The ones I have are the 205-50H, but I don't recall what the rating is (mine came to me used).

As a general rule, a specific motor model, given the same stator size, width, casing, etc., is only going to be able to make so much power, so whatever QSMotor says about that motor model and version is what it could do continously, and likely can do way more peak (IIRC the one I have with broken axles was used by it's original owner at 10-11kw peaks), but how much more peak depends on the conditions it's running under, and the length of time it's run at that peak.

What a seller (even of a genuine QSmotor vs a counterfeit or clone) choose to "rate" a motor at may not have much to do with it's actual specifications, and most likely they will rate it as high as they can get away with (at least as high as it's real peak capability).

THere's a thread around here somewhere discussing NBP vs QS, though I don't recall the conclusions of whether NBP is really a QS motor or just a clone (in which case it may have nothing to do with what a QS205 can do, because it isn't a QS205). .

I don't know if it's true, but someone said that big sellers can order multi lots of motors from QS with custom specifications. This is an expample of a NB Power motor kit with a 5000w QS motor, and 100 amp controller. Interestingly I am planning to run my new Nucular controller at 100 amp. Since I only know enough about building eBikes to be dangerous it's encourging to find that a company that supposedly knows what they're doing is only a step ahead of me.

Sure--anyone with the money for enough of them can order custom whatever they want from most manufacturers of parts like this. MXUS used to make the motors for a number of companies, like Amped Bikes, and quite likely the old 9C (nine continents) motors (but it's not really clear).

However, if it's customized, then it's not directly comparable to the manufacturer's motors, because it isn't the same. ;)

The best I can say without knowing the exact differences between the motor in question and the QS205 is that if the NBP motor is still built the same size and way the QS205 is, and they're both 50mm stator/magnets, then the NBP isn't going to be any more capable than the actual QS205, no matter what number NBP chooses to put on their ads.

THere's a thread around here somewhere discussing NBP vs QS, though I don't recall the conclusions of whether NBP is really a QS motor or just a clone (in which case it may have nothing to do with what a QS205 can do, because it isn't a QS205). .
Everything from china is suspect, that's for sure.

Being the persistent ahole that I am I was about to ask this question on the Amazon link, but I noticed 2 people already ask, and got replys.

Q: What is the difference between this and the 3000w 205?
A: Qs 5000w is faster, more torque, but it need bigger battery capacity
By graciano m. in the United States 🇺🇸 on January 16, 2023

Q: What's the difference between this and the qs3000w motor?
A: QS 3000W is Magnetic steel is straight sheet, about 11kg; 5000W magnetic steel is tile; about 13kg ;
If you have further problem or need , please you contact me by Email (sqma1001@hotmail.com), My WhatsApp account is +86 13401536906; China
By Amazon Customer in the United States 🇺🇸 on December 17, 2022

NBPower hub motors are not produced by QS motors. It’s a clone of QS motors, Sounds like you should’ve done some research before buying the motor and then trying to figure out whether it’s authentic motor or not.

As far as performance, they’re probably very similar. NBpower will tell you it’s from QS but it is not. NBpower is a great company to work with but they’re just like most Chinese companies. They will sell clone products and tell you it’s authentic.

NBPower hub motors are not produced by QS motors. It’s a clone of QS motors, Sounds like you should’ve done some research before buying the motor and then trying to figure out whether it’s authentic motor or not.

As far as performance, they’re probably very similar. NBpower will tell you it’s from QS but it is not. NBpower is a great company to work with but they’re just like most Chinese companies. They will sell clone products and tell you it’s authentic.
Are you talking about 205 being a clone or all of their motors? Because I bought a 273 from them in the past, it had a manufacturing defect that prevented me from bolting on a disc rotor, they told me to contact QS which I did, QS asked me for pictures of the motor and they verified it as authentic and told me they can send me replacement side cover for free if I cover import taxes which I agreed to.

Are you talking about 205 being a clone or all of their motors? Because I bought a 273 from them in the past, it had a manufacturing defect that prevented me from bolting on a disc rotor, they told me to contact QS which I did, QS asked me for pictures of the motor and they verified it as authentic and told me they can send me replacement side cover for free if I cover import taxes which I agreed to.
That's kind of interesting to know.

So far no reply from NB Power, but I did get a reply from QS. Unfortunately probably because of translation trouble their answer didn't conclusively answer the question. I replied back asking for clarification.

China does have patent laws that apply inside their country, so it would be surprising for a company like NB Power to be so openly claiming their motors are made by QS if they're not. I would tend to think QS would have something to say about that, but everything from china is suspect until proven otherwise. My guess is there may be some kind of relationship between QS, and NB Power which wouldn't be unheard of with chinese companys.

Personally I don't consider it a deal breaker whether it's genuine QS or clone. I had already considered that possibility when I first made the purshase. At that time it was kind of a crap shoot, but knowing what I know now, I would do it again, becasue the NB motor turned out to be totally tits up. If it's not real QS there's 50/50 chance it even better.

The heart of my question though is, is my motor just a common QS205 3000w motor, or is it really something different. NB Power is saying it's a QS205 with better magnets, and QS isn't kicking a fuss about it, so that might tell us something. Whatever this NB motor might turn out to really be, it seems like a good one, and I would recommend it with no reservations. It would just be fun to know what's really going on.

Last edited:
Maybe NBP has sold clone stuff in the past but few months ago I bought a 273 from them which was verified as authentic by QS plus NBP buys Sabvoton controllers from MQCON in bulk to resell (MQCON is parent company of QS Motors). So it doesn't make sense to me why they would buy Sabvoton controllers from MQCON/QS but clone MQCON/QS's motors when they clearly have some sort of relationship which would be in jeopardy if QS found out that NBP is cloning their motors not to mention possible legal issues.

Regarding 3000w vs 5000w 205 motor, they are probably the same motor but advertised differently with the higher output motor slapped with a premium on the price. Take Voilamart for example, their 750w, 1000w and 1500w motors are all the same internally but the higher the "output", the more expensive the motor is even thought they are all the same, same with QS 273, officially QS states that it's a "4000W motor" but some listings say 8000w, some 10000w, some 12000w even though it's the same motor.

If it's genuine 205 then I have no reason to doubt that it can handle up to 6000w peak no matter where you buy it from as long it's genuine like stated by QS. If it's a clone then it's possible that they might use thinner or lower quality wires and windings resulting in less power that the motor can handle.

Maybe NBP has sold clone stuff in the past but few months ago I bought a 273 from them which was verified as authentic by QS plus NBP buys Sabvoton controllers from MQCON in bulk to resell (MQCON is parent company of QS Motors). So it doesn't make sense to me why they would buy Sabvoton controllers from MQCON/QS but clone MQCON/QS's motors when they clearly have some sort of relationship which would be in jeopardy if QS found out that NBP is cloning their motors not to mention possible legal issues.

Regarding 3000w vs 5000w 205 motor, they are probably the same motor but advertised differently with the higher output motor slapped with a premium on the price. Take Voilamart for example, their 750w, 1000w and 1500w motors are all the same internally but the higher the "output", the more expensive the motor is even thought they are all the same, same with QS 273, officially QS states that it's a "4000W motor" but some listings say 8000w, some 10000w, some 12000w even though it's the same motor.

If it's genuine 205 then I have no reason to doubt that it can handle up to 6000w peak no matter where you buy it from as long it's genuine like stated by QS. If it's a clone then it's possible that they might use thinner or lower quality wires and windings resulting in less power that the motor can handle.
I think your testimony is pretty strong evidance that NBP is probably selling genuine QS motors. The only thing up for question is if the magnets in my motor are really different or not.

I'm not sure why having stronger magnets translates to higher wattage, but it should make for more torque. A lot of times I get the feeling that the chinese don't always mean to lie, but their translations to english are so crappy what they're trying to say doesn't come out right. If it really has stronger magnets, in their mind that might mean it's a more powerful motor, but the only way they know how to relate that in english is to say it's a higher wattage motor. Or they could just be lying lol

I'm not sure why having stronger magnets translates to higher wattage, but it should make for more torque. A lot of times I get the feeling that the chinese don't always mean to lie, but their translations to english are so crappy what they're trying to say doesn't come out right. If it really has stronger magnets, in their mind that might mean it's a more powerful motor, but the only way they know how to relate that in english is to say it's a higher wattage motor. Or they could just be lying lol
FYI: I asked QS rep on the QS thread
"if QS makes these NBP motors being sold on ebay/ali"

QS rep responded with a resounding "He is NOT sure"

Not sure why he would be deceptive. Also, QS says they do NOT honor warranty unless the motor is bought from THEM.

Who warranties NBP motors?

It's probably just bad translation, the rep that I was in contact with at NBP was called Raina Yu and her English was fluent even when it came to technical stuff, never had any issues understanding what she was saying. Maybe she doesn't work there anymore or you were unlucky and got someone else to respond to you.

If there's actually a difference in magnets then there's two possible explanation that I can think of:
1. They are talking about magnet temperature rating, the higher the rating, the higher the temp the magnets can handle the more power you can put through the motor if the windings can handle. This also means you can run the motor for longer or at higher wattage peak without heat soaking the magnets and risking the magnets coming lose or cooking the windings.
2. They are talking about magnet height which is typically represented as two digits with H at the end for example 40H. Typically the higher the magnet height, the stronger they are which results in more torque but that doesn't really have anything to do with wattage unless like you said, they don't know how to explain that so they put the wattage number up? Doesn't make much sense but it's possible.

FYI: I asked QS rep on the QS thread
"if QS makes these NBP motors being sold on ebay/ali"

QS rep responded with a resounding "He is NOT sure"

Not sure why he would be deceptive. Also, QS says they do NOT honor warranty unless the motor is bought from THEM.

Who warranties NBP motors?

I assume NBP warranties their motors, but apprently based on MangDav's experience, in some circumstances QS will handle the warranty.

One reason why QS might be vague about confirming if NBP motors are made by QS could be because they're competitors.

Last edited:
I have been wondering the same thing. I have a 6kw qs205 50h. I wanted the 3kw. From what i can tell there are 2 types of qs205 50h, one is 1500 to 3000w while the other is 3000 to 6000w. Then sellers say they are all sorts of different wattage from 1500 to 12000 watts. And they can because the motor can handle bursts of 12kw, at least one version can. I was thinking a 3kw would be running closer to its peak power versus the 6kw. So i may change in the future, i am not certain but i think that I would get better milage and torque from a 3kw over a 6kw but i am just not certain.

I have been wondering the same thing. I have a 6kw qs205 50h. I wanted the 3kw. From what i can tell there are 2 types of qs205 50h, one is 1500 to 3000w while the other is 3000 to 6000w. Then sellers say they are all sorts of different wattage from 1500 to 12000 watts. And they can because the motor can handle bursts of 12kw, at least one version can. I was thinking a 3kw would be running closer to its peak power versus the 6kw. So i may change in the future, i am not certain but i think that I would get better milage and torque from a 3kw over a 6kw but i am just not certain.
This is the motor I have, and I like it very much, because it rips, and it's very quite. I'm running 6000w through it with an 80 amp Kelly, and it's not getting very hot, but I've only had this motor since October, so all cool months. I'm planning to jack it up to 100 amps after I find a new battery. With the saggy old battery I have now it does 55 mph sitting up. It won't quite pull a power wheelie by itself, but the front end gets real light. I can't hold that against it though, because I weigh almost 240 lbs

I think the biggest tell about this question is the fact that QS won't just come out and say conclusivly it's a fake. I would expect they have to know all about it, and normally they should be shouting it from the rooftops. FAKE.

This is the eMail I sent QS, and the reply.

Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2023 2:40 AM
To: sales@qsmotor.com
Subject: QS205 motor

Dear Sir,

I have a question about a QS 205 motor I bought from a Amazon seller NB Power. NB Power claims the motor is a QS205 5000w with 10,000w peak. On your official website the motor is only listed as having 3000w with 6000w peak.

I'm very happy with the motor, and like it a lot, but my question is, are NB Powers claims true, or exaggerated?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was their answer,

harry@qsmotor.com
To:

Wed 3/22/2023 7:12 PM

Hi Philip,
You had the motor already and run well, that is good.
We stated 50H V3 as nominal 3000W, maximum power 6000W, sometimes can reach 10kw. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice Harry totally avoided answering my question. Basically he won't say it's real, and he won't say it's not real. He could say, I don't know about the claims, but we did sell a bunch of motors to NB Power, of he could say they're not one of our customers, but they avoid really saying anything about it.

If he doesn't send me back a reply, I conclude that at the very least the motor is a genuine QS motor. I've compared it up close to a Onyx motor, and I have a hard time believing anyone could make a copy so exact that I couldn't see at least some difference.
But is it really 5000w, that's what I'd like to know.

Last edited:
If I remember right curved magnets mean V3, just like qs response suggest.
As he say, qs rate them as 3kw contionuos. Other companies will make up other numbers..

About the 273, they are not all the same. There are several different magnet heights (as it is for the 205 too)

Back