Quality 60v inverter

cwah

100 MW
Hello

I bought a little while ago an inverter for my 60v battery:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MKP300-481R-best-power-inverters-pure-sine-wave-48v-300w-power-inverter-110v-inverter-made-in/32516571971.html

But after few hours of used it failed and just show the fault light.

Anyone has idea where I can buy a reliable inverter for a 60V battery? Power of 300W is enough. It just has to be reliable.

Thank you

Your inverter fried because it didn't have a high enough input voltage range (the spec said 61v max, which can't handle a charged 60V lithium battery, if your battery is lithium).

Search on grid-tie inverter, or solar inverter. Those are designed to handle larger batteries and voltages. You may not be able to find many with that high an input voltage without going to a bigger inverter, probably because people install higher voltage systems when their power demands are higher.

Remember, if it says it can handle 60 volts, that's likely not enough, but if it says it can work with a 60 volt battery, then it probably was designed with a range sufficient for a charged 60 volt battery.

Thanks. I need another one anyway

My speaker is only 150W. It probably has peak power but not much. When looking at power drawing, it's mostly around 30-50W continuous. So really not popping that much power.

I need something else. Would this work AND be reliable?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5000W-Peak-Power-Inverter-DC-12-24V-48-60V-to-AC-110-220V-Sine-Wave-Converter/202520287097?hash=item2f27265779:g:c2UAAOSwMjpcAUAs

It's not pure sine wave but maybe it doesn't need for speakers?

cwah said:
My speaker is only 150W. It probably has peak power but not much. When looking at power drawing, it's mostly around 30-50W continuous. So really not popping that much power.
That's power, not voltage.
Probably not.
Prosine, Xantrex, Outback, Schneider - they make excellent inverters that last forever.
Cotek, Samlex, Exceltech - Pretty good inverters
Chinese stuff you find on Ebay and Alibaba - complete crapshoot
Speakers don't take AC or DC power. They take audio power.

You are probably talking about the amplifier. Most amplifiers will work just fine with mod sine, but often you will hear it (the edges from the 60Hz waveform leaking through the input.)

billvon said:
cwah said:
That's power, not voltage.
Probably not.
Prosine, Xantrex, Outback, Schneider - they make excellent inverters that last forever.
Cotek, Samlex, Exceltech - Pretty good inverters
Chinese stuff you find on Ebay and Alibaba - complete crapshoot
Speakers don't take AC or DC power. They take audio power.

You are probably talking about the amplifier. Most amplifiers will work just fine with mod sine, but often you will hear it (the edges from the 60Hz waveform leaking through the input.)

It's powering this speaker:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Behringer-B205D-Eurolive-150W-Active-Powered-Portable-Monitor-PA-Speaker-System/302676315950?epid=1204251766&hash=item4678ea0f2e:g:2sAAAOSwoIlar~uh

The voltage is 60V.

Do you know which brand is on the cheaper end? I don't want to spend hundred on an inverter. I just need something that works.

Inverters designed yo take more than 48v nominal tend to be pretty expensive, because as someone else pointed out, they are usually for solar storage applications and need to meet certification, even if they don't have them.

Easier answer for such small power is just to step down to 12v and use a common car inverter. If you do get big peak power from large speakers/sub, use supercapacitors or a small battery to buffer the load.

cwah said:
The voltage is 60V.
OK. What is the voltage RANGE? (i.e. a 60V li-ion battery is 48 to 67.2 volts)
Do you know which brand is on the cheaper end?
Any no-name from China is going to be on the cheaper end.
I don't want to spend hundred on an inverter. I just need something that works.
That seems like saying "I don't want to spend thousands for a car, I just want something that works."

You're not going to get any sort of decent inverter for under 100US. The Cotek SE350 is $189, but only goes to 60Vin. The SP700 is $300 and goes to 66 volts. I wouldn't go cheaper than Cotek personally if you care about the thing working.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNTC1D7/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?pd_rd_i=B07B6B6HQZ&pd_rd_w=iPF1l&pf_rd_p=8a8f3917-7900-4ce8-ad90-adf0d53c0985&pd_rd_wg=SsOcT&pf_rd_r=0HM3A3VXM8H2CVKP68YT&pd_rd_r=60dfdb9e-95b0-4899-abee-b4a3ba1e9f18&smid=A36QA5X1QRFR3C&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyU0pLNU1WTkg3RzdYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTIwNzQzMzRKVUxSWEZHMFVDSSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDA0ODk2M0NJVkIxQ0s0SlA5VSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

plus

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300W-Power-Inverter-Adapter/dp/B004MDXS0U/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=12v+inverter&qid=1565560070&s=gateway&smid=AWZ3LXPHZK09&sr=8-4

billvon said:
cwah said:
The voltage is 60V.
OK. What is the voltage RANGE? (i.e. a 60V li-ion battery is 48 to 67.2 volts)
Do you know which brand is on the cheaper end?
Any no-name from China is going to be on the cheaper end.
I don't want to spend hundred on an inverter. I just need something that works.
That seems like saying "I don't want to spend thousands for a car, I just want something that works."

You're not going to get any sort of decent inverter for under 100US. The Cotek SE350 is $189, but only goes to 60Vin. The SP700 is $300 and goes to 66 volts. I wouldn't go cheaper than Cotek personally if you care about the thing working.

It's a 15s battery. So from 63v to 50v

I've just seen a step down to 12v then use a 12v inverter post. Looks like a more cost efficient option

E-HP said:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNTC1D7/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?pd_rd_i=B07B6B6HQZ&pd_rd_w=iPF1l&pf_rd_p=8a8f3917-7900-4ce8-ad90-adf0d53c0985&pd_rd_wg=SsOcT&pf_rd_r=0HM3A3VXM8H2CVKP68YT&pd_rd_r=60dfdb9e-95b0-4899-abee-b4a3ba1e9f18&smid=A36QA5X1QRFR3C&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyU0pLNU1WTkg3RzdYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTIwNzQzMzRKVUxSWEZHMFVDSSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDA0ODk2M0NJVkIxQ0s0SlA5VSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

plus

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300W-Power-Inverter-Adapter/dp/B004MDXS0U/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=12v+inverter&qid=1565560070&s=gateway&smid=AWZ3LXPHZK09&sr=8-4

Good idea. I maybe should do that instead!

billvon said:
cwah said:
It's a 15s battery. So from 63v to 50v
OK great! Then the 700W Cotek should work.

This is very high in my budget for something I only use few times a year...

What about the previous suggestion about using a step down to 12v then use this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076P9PGX3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_c3juDbVVQERKT

cwah said:
What about the previous suggestion about using a step down to 12v then use this?
I wouldn't recommend that for either reliability or audio noise. But if your #1 consideration is low cost, it might work. (Of course, buying a lot of inverters and converters that don't work out might end up being more expensive in the long run.)

billvon said:
cwah said:
What about the previous suggestion about using a step down to 12v then use this?
I wouldn't recommend that for either reliability or audio noise. But if your #1 consideration is low cost, it might work. (Of course, buying a lot of inverters and converters that don't work out might end up being more expensive in the long run.)

Thanks I may try this as otherwise it would cost me few hundred ££ for something i only use few times a year....

Back