Qulbix Raptor 76R Cyclone Build

This setup is really looking like it could be a winner. It would be very stealth. Just would need to cut some custom side panels that would allow the motor sprocket and motor housing to stick out a bit. Only concern may heat build up from the motor and batteries occupying the same space. I may mess around with this setup down the road after I get my BB setup sorted out. It may actually be easier to mount the Cyclone in the cradle of the frame than a BB mount. Here are some rough dimensions (sorry.......using inches down here):

DSC_0437small.jpg

One thing to consider is if mounting the motor inside will increase the noise. The box might act as a resonant chamber for that gearbox. Or it might not at all. And even then, I don't know if that is an important criteria to you.

StinkyGoalieGuy said:
One thing to consider is if mounting the motor inside will increase the noise. The box might act as a resonant chamber for that gearbox. Or it might not at all. And even then, I don't know if that is an important criteria to you.

With sound dampening inside, it might make things quieter.

Hi, I'm moving my thread on this build over from the "show off" forum because I think it is more appropriate posted here. Making some progress again on this. Machined some E-Brake cutout brackets which I am using with Hope Tech brakes. Also machined the headlight mount from billet aluminum. Using the Luna headlamps. All the brackets/parts will eventually be painted with Black Duracoat finish.

View attachment 3
Brake 1.jpg
Brake 2.jpg

Nice to see some british parts on on board,, hope and renthal. Shame about the stage coach suspension.

Just a quick update on the Luna headlights. Only tested them out in the shop so far, but both on together they put out 7000 lumens peak on my light meter!.....That's with a 52 volt battery although I don't think the voltage makes a difference.

Wow wat a build. I was thinking of doing the 76R with cyclone as well. Any chance of you making more brackets and selling them?

Possibly, they were incredibly time consuming to create. And I need to confirm how robust the design will be as I've only just got the bike running. Not concerned with the rigidity aspect (my system mounts to the Cyclone motor in 11 places) but I need to verify the sliding motor mount setup. Basically the whole motor slides up and down to adjust the drive chain tension and therefore no need for the spring loaded tensioner.

tikivic said:
Had to spread the swingarm slightly - from 165mm to 170mm.View attachment 1

Ah, i see you chose the 170-Fatbike-Rohloff-speedhub instead of going with the standard one (135mm) and spacers (10+10mm=155). Why actually ?

You got the 165mm Dropouts from Qulbix on purpose ?, cause i think standard would be 155mm

greets

Notger

I'm also curious how well does this motor do on the frame. Its a heaver frame and the cyclone is only 3kw, i'm deliberating between the cyclone and a higher wattage hub. So please post your impressions on how fast it goes and accelerates, and how it is peddling along with it.

Couldn't agree more. High wattage mid drive, rohloff in the back and a q76 mid hit a sweetspot for lots of people. Please tell us the reasoning behind the setup!

notger said:
tikivic said:
Had to spread the swingarm slightly - from 165mm to 170mm.View attachment 2View attachment 1

Ah, i see you chose the 170-Fatbike-Rohloff-speedhub instead of going with the standard one (135mm) and spacers (10+10mm=155). Why actually ?

You got the 165mm Dropouts from Qulbix on purpose ?, cause i think standard would be 155mm

greets

Notger

Yes that would have been nice to do it that way, and more affordable. However Rohloff's don't have a "through" axle, they use what's called an axle plate and the nub of the axle is attached to that. So not possible to use any spacers at all. Fortunately Qulbix still offers the 165mm swingarm so I ordered my kit with both sizes.

IMG_0719.jpg

tikivic said:
Yes that would have been nice to do it that way, and more affordable. However Rohloff's don't have a "through" axle, they use what's called an axle plate and the nub of the axle is attached to that. So not possible to use any spacers at all.

Wait, why should spacers not be possible then ?

I might miss something, but the easiest i could think of are Washers.
-> sure 155mm(QulbixDropout) - 135mm(Rohloff Standardwidth) =20mm/2 = 10mm on each side.
so taking those 10mm from each side of these "Nubs" would not leave enough "meat" for the cap-nut then, was that your concern ?
Edit: Just found out that the total axle width of the Standard TS Hub is either 171 or 179mm so that would not leave much lets say 155+2x7mm(Dropoutplate width) =169mm so really not enough to put the Nut on.

https://www.rohloff.de/de/technik/speedhub/technik/index.html

I`m actually really staring at the "untrue-thru-axle-version" from Rohloff with either 142 or 148mm.
csm_Rohloff-A12-197-DTMaxle-PM160_d5a2064536.png

found out on the website that the Bolts from both sides are M7 (A12) Titan, so that would just need some 10->7mm reduction at the Qulbix Dropouts.
sure they wanna tell us that it is rocket science to find the right versions Shimano,syntace,.....of the bolts and axle adapters.
But with some modifications on the Dropouts and some lathework that might be the best solution for me, with the thought on using this super expensive Hub on any other MTB od DH Bike later.
But i have not seen the Price of the Thru-axle-version yet , just visioning ?

tikivic said:
Yes that would have been nice to do it that way, and more affordable.

So the Fatbike Hubs are much more expensive? how much did it cost you ?
i think the standard one is around 1100€.
and used standard 10mm axle ones are availeable for about 500-700€
Fatbike, or Thruaxle ones might take some years to get them used unless there might not be many out there right now

greets, and thanks for inspiration

Notger

Sorry, I wrote something confusing. Yes they do have a "through axle" but it is the quick release skewer. It could possible work on a Qulbix swingarm but I want the much more robust 10mm threaded axle option (Qulbix dropout is 10mm). However you may also be referring to their new 12mm axle option - but that is only available to OEMs (manufacturers) per the Rohloff Website. So you nailed it, with the threaded axle there is just not enough axle left to put the nut on if you use any spacers, washers, etc. This is due to the thickness of the Qulbix swingarm. I had considered machining down the inside surfaces of the swingarm (2.5mm per side), but in the end it was much easier to spread the swingarm. Right now I have 7.6mm of axle to install the nuts on. I'm sure with some lathe/machining you may be able to adapt the narrower hub. Really I couldn't find anyone else who has mounted a Rohloff on a Qulbix, so I'm kind of in uncharted territory here (pioneer?). Time will tell how well it works, but as of now I can say its an effective combination. One note on the Cyclone motor - mine just emits a quiet "whirring" as opposed to those who have reported that it is high pitched or even "shrieks". This may be because I eliminated the chain tensioner altogether. Oh and as for cost, I sourced the hub from Germany and it ran me right around $1100 US delivered. Had I purchased here in the states we would be talking like $2000 US. But it did take a month for me to get it!

IMG_0721.jpg

I'm pretty sure your the first one for 76r and rohloff at least the first documented one. What did you have to do to spread it? Just jamming it in there by hand or did you need to use heavy machinery?

Back