• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum.
    Please see: Funding drive thread

Raptor 140 - Full Suspension eBike Build Thread

I used silastic Mark. And it works well. These controllers have a heat sensor inside them so the controller starts to power down at 60 degrees. I'm not sure if I'd risk a 18 fet inside. It'll blow unless you lower amps. My 24 Fets inside on my Phasor but it's a lot bigger and has Lot of heat sink

I'm still keen on having it mounted inside. I'll see what I can do to get good heat spread onto the frame. Won't be sitting it on top of the battery like that photo. There was plenty of room at the front. 3M make a double sided heat transfer tape with great conductivity. But it's only in massive rolls and costs hundreds.

Well, for the last few months, I have been stuck with a Halls problem I couldn't resolve. I finally gave up and robbed the controller off the second build and got everything wired up, and got a throttle error. Chased the problem and it was with a bad connector, just like everyone else. Snipped it and clipped it with some test leads and wallah! The Raptor breathed life for the first time! I did some temporary wiring and rode it around for an hour at 4:30 in the morning. Finally!

Now I have to clean up wiring, wire in Regen, add lights (cops were staring me down but didn't stop me), set up suspension, and replace the rear caliper mount (I think it was milled crooked when I had it shaved to fit the dropout), equalize battery packs, hook up BMS, wire up charging port, and probably other stuff too. For now, I am just happy one of the controllers works!

Well, I still have some wiring tuning etc to do so I haven't gone all out photo shoot yet but here is one I took at the grocery store (where all epic eBike rides end right?).

image.jpeg

ziltoid81 said:
Looks awesome, the bb is high enough and the bike will have a lot of torque with the 17 inch rim.

Nice.

Yes, I need stiffer spring as the chainwheel already smacked some rocks on a small landing. Also, I need shorter cranks as I have smacked them a couple times too and I am not sure the stiffer spring will be enough.

I haven't posted in a while but both Raptors are rolling and running now after spending many months stalled with Adaptto controller problems. The offending controller turned out to be bad and I popped in a spare. Working on buttoning things up.

Tonight I am cutting the charge hole larger and soldering up some leads to female blade connectors to connect to a heavy duty 8 port Neutrik NL8M plug.

I will make an exterior loop of the phase wire connector so it disconnects when I pull the charge plug out (can't run the Adaptto controller with the charge phase wire plugged in).

This white one is Raptor 140 number 2. I am doing a cleaner install on it. The black Raptor 140 number 1 is a little rougher around the edges but it runs and I am having fun with it.

Dual lights run in series to knock the voltage down. Already bent the bracket with a minor crash. Doh!

Magura MT5 and Storm Rotor
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447721410.628919.jpg

Circuit breakers and a small fuse for the headlights (already use it - whoops, but good thing I had it in there).
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447721428.550848.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447721448.867425.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447721581.602542.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447721697.344776.jpg

All wired up. Used 8awg and split the strands to 2 blades to spread the amp load. Each prong is supposed to be rated at 40amps so I doubt I would have had a problem but I figured now is the time to do it as I already had the soldering iron hard at work.

I hot glued the crap out of it because I don't trust blade connectors. If it comes unplugged, it all goes together and can't short itself (hopefully).

View attachment 1
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447752549.609053.jpg

Failed freewheel spacer... Spun on the axle and locked the rear wheel up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447752951.381209.jpg

New solution is a solid spacer from McMaster Carr but it is a hair too thick. Out with the demel again tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447752771.254634.jpg

Battery had to come out to get to the phase wires. All had to come out to get the Magura Storm rotor on rear wheel. I am shelving the Hope V4 rotors for this bike. The are too thick and require filing of the calipers. I filed on the Black Raptor but don't want to on this one.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447753327.883115.jpg

I found my chains to be too short. They make a pop under full suspension compression. Time to splice a couple together.

For those yet to do this, take the spring out of the shock, compress fully with some weight, then measure your needed chain length.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447753503.186346.jpg

Nice builds you have going on there! I really like the colors on the blue one. Need some videos of it in action.

drew12345 said:
Nice builds you have going on there! I really like the colors on the blue one. Need some videos of it in action.

Agreed. I actually have a raptor 140 frame in a box I bought earlier in the year. Makes me want to put together another build. The raptor 140 is built much more light weight than the 165 raptor. Comparing the two frames I can see where Qulbix shaved off a lot of probably useless weight from the 165 making the frame around 10 lbs lighter I believe.

I just feel bad about replacing my 165 raptor which has absolutely no problems.

I was thinking about posting here today about what is up with Qulbix lately. I figured they may be working on something new.

Then I stumbled on a new thread of theirs.

Did they possibly release a new model, looks like an even thinner version of the 140. Looks nice. Build quality is guaranteed to be excellent.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=74286

Offroader said:
I was thinking about posting here today about what is up with Qulbix lately. I figured they may be working on something new.

Then I stumbled on a new thread of theirs.

Did they possibly release a new model, looks like an even thinner version of the 140. Looks nice. Build quality is guaranteed to be excellent.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=74286

Yep! 76mm wide. I with it was 80mm so the Adaptto wouldn't stick out, or even better, 80mm inside (so about 84mm outside) but I am sure the 76mm had to do with minimizing costs of bends and welds. That's fine I guess. Better on the knees when standing on pedals.

Since you mention heartache about changing the 165, may I give some inspiration (probably a bad idea). I am ordering a Q76 and will take the rear swingarm, rear 17" wheel and Cromotor, and controller from the black 140, and I am moving it all over to the Q76. Swingarm bolts right up with no modificatons (swingarms are the same as 140).
The Black 140 will then be converted to a LightningRods Big Block kit at 64v, probably with a Lyen Controller and Cycle Analyst. I'll miss the Adaptto on that bike but I really want a full suspension mid-drive and LightningRods (Mike) has already worked up a kit for the 140. I asked about it on the Q76 and it sounds like the big block is so wide, it wouldn't helt that the frame is only 76mm wide.

So, Q76 will get BIG motor on little frame. It will be named, "Big Trouble in Little China" (I have come up with names for all my bikes because I am a super nerd like that).
140 will be big mid-drive and lighter battery for some real full suspension fun. Let's do this together with our 140s. It will be different enough from your 165. :)

Back