Rear shock setup help on a stealth bomber clone.

MangDav

10 mW
I have a stealth bomber clone that I mainly use for daily street commuting with occasional off roading so my priority is comfortability on the street. I currently have a 200mm DNM RCP-2S with a 550LBS spring. When I was building my bike, I saw that pre-assembled bomber clones typically come with those so that's what I got however after putting 6000 miles on the bike, I'm not too happy with the rear shock.

Currently my preload is set 1 click away from lock out, if I turn it 1 click to the right then it's locked out, if I turn it 1 click to the left then the shock sags way too much with me on it and it'll have almost no suspension travel (I'm 180lbs btw) but being 1 click away from lock out, the shock is so stiff especially while going over pot holes that I might aswell replace the shock with a piece of steel and have no shock at all. I have no clue about suspension but my guess would be that stiffer spring would prevent this sort of sag and allow me to adjust preload correctly.

I'm unsure what PSI is in the shock either because there's no documentation online on how you're supposed to add or check air, only videos and threads that I found regarding this is after people converted their RCP-2S to have a schrader valve allowing them to use a fork pump.

I'm wondering if there's better 200mm shock options out there with street riding in mind or if anyone else has experience with bomber clone shocks and can recommend something better than DNM.

I have a stealth bomber clone that I mainly use for daily street commuting with occasional off roading so my priority is comfortability on the street. I currently have a 200mm DNM RCP-2S with a 550LBS spring. When I was building my bike, I saw that pre-assembled bomber clones typically come with those so that's what I got however after putting 6000 miles on the bike, I'm not too happy with the rear shock.

Currently my preload is set 1 click away from lock out, if I turn it 1 click to the right then it's locked out, if I turn it 1 click to the left then the shock sags way too much with me on it and it'll have almost no suspension travel (I'm 180lbs btw) but being 1 click away from lock out, the shock is so stiff especially while going over pot holes that I might aswell replace the shock with a piece of steel and have no shock at all. I have no clue about suspension but my guess would be that stiffer spring would prevent this sort of sag and allow me to adjust preload correctly.

I'm unsure what PSI is in the shock either because there's no documentation online on how you're supposed to add or check air, only videos and threads that I found regarding this is after people converted their RCP-2S to have a schrader valve allowing them to use a fork pump.

I'm wondering if there's better 200mm shock options out there with street riding in mind or if anyone else has experience with bomber clone shocks and can recommend something better than DNM.

Take a look at this thread (just over halfway down on page 6). I had similar problems and tried various ways. Maybe one of these ideas will suit you.

I think you need a 700lbs spring. That’s just a guess without knowing how much travel and sag you are working with. From what you say I think you need a heavier spring.

Back