Regen Braking

andreyderg

10 µW
Hey! I recently bought a new controller and a new display (https://www.risunmotor.com/products...ke-controller-with-colorful-ukc-1-lcd-display). Everything seems to work fine so far. Except I cant find out how to enable regenerative braking on this set of controller/dispay. Manual says nothíng about that. On the website you can see regen braking listed in the functions part:
6. Multi functions: Work with hall sensor mode or non-hall mode, smart match with different motor, 5-speed level for throttle and PAS, Speed limit, Reverse, Cruise, Push Assistant, Anti-thief,Regenerative Braking, Electric Braking and etc.
Any help is much appreciated!

lower case l or L brake is "regen" braking

6. Brake Levers Plugs:

"Regen Braking" could be bad english conversion, or a knowing lie

Blessing in disguise. One less way to write off your bike for no good reason.

calab said:

6. Brake Levers Plugs:

I had one brake lever connected to it and it seems to have no effect on regen braking unfortunately :(

UPD: Regen is working. However the effect is really almost unnoticable. Is where a way to adjust the power of regen braking? I could not find any settings in the display menu.

You have to adjust your breaks to work after the regenerative breaking kicks in. Adjust cables and/or your handle to apply your breaks to work later than normal. If you leave as normal you do all of the breaking and the regenerative breaking doesn’t get a chance to do it’s thing. This may only help it work slightly better as you don’t want to have the regular breaks so adjusted/delayed they don’t work at all.

andreyderg said:
calab said:

6. Brake Levers Plugs:

I had one brake lever connected to it and it seems to have no effect on regen braking unfortunately :(

UPD: Regen is working. However the effect is really almost unnoticable. Is where a way to adjust the power of regen braking? I could not find any settings in the display menu.
If the controller allows it you should have a setting for the max regen Amps allowed. You need to be careful not to exceed the max battery charge rate.
The Regen Amps are normally phase amps, and can be different from the max Battery charge amps, as a controller can generate more phase amps than the battery max amps by lowering the phase voltage.

A good controller would have a setting for the max Battery charging Amps that protects the battery. Then have a different setting for the max regen phase amps that defines how strong regen will be.
More advanced controllers may have additional setting with changes in regen levels based on speed

Skaiwerd said:
You have to adjust your breaks to work after the regenerative breaking kicks in.

I've done that already when I had my old setup. The issue is - regen braking with my old controller slowed me down significantly in comparison to the new one. The effect is almost unnoticeable.

If the controller allows it you should have a setting for the max regen Amps allowed.

Sadly this one got no option to talk to the controller directly. I can only change something via display which got no option for it.

Some controllers do different amounts of regen depending on the input used to engage it. If it has a highlevel and lowlevel brake input separately, try it with each one. Lowlevel is grounded to activate, and highlevel usualy uses 12v+ to activate (check your manual first).

Some controllers are just programmed with low regen current limits, so they simply don't provide much, if any, when activated. I've had a few of those in various generic types over the years.

Back