Relacing My 9C ? (rhino light/JRH spokes)

john7700

100 W
The Happy Valley ................Western Mass. USA
Ok, so the Chinese POS rim is just to flat for me to bring it around again so I ordered a Rhino light for $31.94 delivered through Amazon and via the suggestion on Justin's wheel building article http://ebike.ca/SpokeCalc.shtml, I ordered 23 each tapered 13/14 in 168 and 170 .

My question is, the article also mentions :

"...the freewheel side spoke becoming nearly vertical to center the rim. This can be addressed to some degree by lacing the wheel such that on both the left and right set of spokes, all of the spoke heads come out on the right side of the flange. This will offset the base of all spokes to the right by the flange width. "

Should I be doing both the +/- 1mm on the spokes and the all right side spoke head directional step?

Thanks folks

40 views and no one has an opinion? I know some of you have done this wheel up grade.

The parts are in the mail and I'll be building it in the next couple of days. I could sure use some advise as my bike is my transpo.

front or rear 9C?
if rear, single speed or 9speed freewheel?
what is the width between the rear dropouts?
what is the current dishing of your 9C and rim?
If it is only 5mm, in the end you may find it easier to just true the wheel right in the middle and ofset the whole wheel using a washer...

fyi, I prefer to have all spokes coming from outside the flange, to inside, and then to the rim. In order to have the spokes flat against the flange, I had to use washers with an inside diameter slightly larger than the spoke outside diameter.

Sorry, a little more info

hjns said:
front or rear 9C? rear
if rear, single speed or 9speed freewheel? 8 speed
what is the width between the rear dropouts? What ever I stretch them to ( steel )
what is the current dishing of your 9C and rim? No idea, it was all lose when i got it. Put a flat spot in it first ride and just
trued it by eye so it would run until this last pot hole pretty much tacoed it up.

Still unsure how to figure how much dish I need.

Round or square cover 9C?

Round side, I think mine needed to be dished 20mm to be centered when running a 7 speed. an 8 speed would need even more spacing. Thats more than the wheel could actualy be dished. IIRC, I did 10mm and called it good. Doesn't matter much if the wheel isn't perfectly centered, though rim brakes can be harder to adjust.

The way you decide how much dish you need is to grab a ruler and measure it. the distance of offset of the spoke bed is the amount you would need to dish the wheel. And that is going to be much worse with a 8 speed than it would be with a 6 speed.

My mistake, I typed 8 but meant 6 speed. I just went and measured, and from the center of the largest cog to the spoke flange appears to be 16 mm (if I was able to measure accurate) So I would guess that I am trying to get as much dish as possible for it? I do have break clearance issues as not only am I running a rim brake but it is an old U brake that has even less wiggle room than the butterfly style .

So I'm thinking that indeed I do want to do both the +/- 1mm on spoke length and all the spokes coming out of the right side of the flange. Opinions folks?

You can get away with all spokes on dive side of the flange with all equal length spokes (169mm if I recall correct), or you can get between 2 and 3mm shorter spokes for the drive side to help with a more extreme dish where all spokes are outbound on the hub.

Why thank you very much JRH. You processed my order Fri. for 23 168mm and 23 170mm 13-14g spokes. :D Sounds like that will be sufficient and I can thread the the spokes through the hub in the proper direction and not have to sorry about seating them on the off side and needing washers etc.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks again for the tips and the great service. You get a double
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Back