Remove Handlebar Controls?

Ozzzz

100 W
Hi ES,

My new folding bike (36v/250w) has this generic display/ key switch (off/PAS/throttle) / throttle grip:

IMG_1042.JPG

It also has a key switch on the battery.

I can do without the throttle and display (and wacking my knee on that giant key :? ). Can I expect to simply bridge the switch wire at the controller (finding PAS +ve)? (remove all handlebar controls)
Or expect something more involved that iv'e missed? tia

That is a very unfortunate location for a big ass key.

You should be able to do what you say though, just disconnect the throttle and battery lines, cap them off so they're not going to short.

You might want to install a power switch somewhere though, maybe not on the handlebar but somewhere you can reach while riding, ya know, just in case.

Thanks. Yes, it's silly. Only managed to hit it a couple of times but that's a couple too many.. It has a key on the battery as well, and E-brakes so i'm not too concerned there.

depends on your controller. If it doesn't need the key switch (or maybe you can jumper it) then you can replace what you have with a less complex throttle. Figure out what your throttle / key switch is wired to. Post some pictures (keep the file size per picture under 512k) and I bet we can help you put together a better throttle setup for you.

:D :bolt:

Hey, thanks. e-beach, I will. There's not a lot in the manual or I can find on the controller or even the use but as far as I can gather it's switched between 200w throttle and 250w PAS and the switch may be part of being legal. This one needs to be legal so, short of maybe putting a switch somewhere else.. (ie. unless it needs to be on the bar). we get a lot of rain and so removing that extra switch (and even the throttle) is tempting.

The specs make it legal not the switch. I think you're being a little silly over a slow lightweight bicycle. People here use ridiculous looking bikes with several thousand watts in normal traffic. Riding wisely is key. It's also helpful that cops generally don't care about cyclists unless you give them reason to.

Also full grip throttles are much better than half grip. And domino is the best throttle. Worth upgrading the part of the bike you use the entire time to meter out power. Might need a CAv3 to interface it with your controller, but that is an essential part you should already have.

I have at least a dozen different bikes and not one of them puts the handlebar anywhere near my knees. Maybe get a real bike that fits your body?

I have two unsuspended steel framed SS with nothing but a throttle.A thumb throttle, as is my preference.. Got a fat bike with mid drive and one with a Mac hub.. they all fit perfectly!! but WTF, my electrical and bike knowledge is admittedly novice but my questions were specific?? And I said it's my new bike, not that I was setting it up for me to ride... and it's surely not beyond imagination that the cops aren't the only concern for wanting to stay legal.. A riser bar is a popular upgrade on these folders to get more room.. they come in One size. It's true, more like riding a big Heavy piece of RHS with wheels attached but :roll:

A hack saw and a file should be able to help a lot with the key. There's no reason it has to be that long. Heck, you could hack it off at the shaft and epoxy a round knob to the shaft. Bingo! Simple knob on/off switch.

Thanks,yeah. I considered cutting the key in to a knob of some sort, and that would be an upgrade. This is the first factory-built PAS/throttle bike iv'e had so (new to these 'systems') i'm mulling over how it's set up, what is necessary and what not. My mid drive fat bike just has a factory PAS and no option for much else (it seems). It works really well This one (20" folder) is my bike and iv'e actually been enjoying the ride, the different experience of little wheels, but I bought it in considering a cheap (ie.V$500US) factory bike we could hire out to our B&B guests.. so... got in mind to remove as much as possible including the throttle (which @ 200w is very limited), needing 2 keys, having a display like that (which presents very little useful info), freeing space, removing some wiring etc etc.. The PAS isn't great, it takes off on the flats almost too quick for pedaling but any incline tests the little mtr.. I'd have a throttle alone (with the above fool-proofnessing in mind) but not at 200w..

No need to saw the key, just take a pliers and remove the plastic. The stub will be perfect.

And somehow, raise those bars above your knees. Seat too low?

Cheers Dan. I did remove one key head and the stub is fine. The key/strike is hard to repeat and really only one point among a few.

Back