reviving a dead BionX battery

krazykraut3711

100 µW
Hi guys, I hope this is the right place to ask. I got a full BionX kit (PL350 motor, 36 V Battery, charger, no controller or cables) for a good price on eBay. The battery hasn't been charged in a few months, and the charger doesn't recognize it anymore (just a solid red led). From what I understand, the battery must have a minimal charge before the charger will recognize it. What is the best strategy here? Please help.

- Krazykraut

Glad I came across this thread.
I have a Bionx battery pack, 11S3P. The voltage on the battery pack was ZERO. :(
The original charger has a microprocessor in it, which seems to monitor the voltage and drive the charging current accordingly.
When it detects such a low voltage, it supplies current on and off. The voltage went up to 8V after 2 days of trickle charge at around 35mA.
I bought a DC power supply to try and revive the battery at 200mA like you did. Will post an update here in a few days.

Tonyreno said:
Im not Sure how to put the battery into Regen if I cannot get it to turn on can someone please help me with this how do I regen the battery?

itselectric said:
3.) this method doesn't work for you. but here is instruction. Put the entire bike/system onto training stand, pedal it and regen the battery, once the voltage is up, you can then use normal charger to charge it.

Ken

itselectric said:
If you try to regen it, then you don't have open up the battery, but you will need a training stand. It will be a good workout for you. :mrgreen:

Ken

tude647 said:
Glad I came across this thread.
I have a Bionx battery pack, 11S3P. The voltage on the battery pack was ZERO. :(
The original charger has a microprocessor in it, which seems to monitor the voltage and drive the charging current accordingly.
When it detects such a low voltage, it supplies current on and off. The voltage went up to 8V after 2 days of trickle charge at around 35mA.
I bought a DC power supply to try and revive the battery at 200mA like you did. Will post an update here in a few days.
My lab power supply arrived.

I set the current limit at 0.2A and hooked it up to the battery. A couple hours later the voltage is around 34V.
YAY!
I briefly connected the original charger. It charges like a beast, and I can hear the cooling fan running, but batteries run a bit hot, so i decided to revert to the lab PS and give it 200mA until I reach 40V.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

Back