Roadrash's Enduro ebike build

I purchased one of these frames also. HEadtube internal diameter is 56mm so it is 1.5" headtube headset. frame comes with headset with crown race adaptor for tapered forks or 1" 1/8". i need advice on how to tighten the rear drop out pinch bolts around the motor axle. are you supposed to torque these up very tightly so they pinch the motor axle? unfortunately there are no holes on this frame to screw torque plates included with the 5kw motor used on electric scooter frames.

Chunder123,
Thanks for getting the info on the headset. It looks like can reuse 1.5" straight tube fork from another bike :). I'm a fairly short guy at 5'5". Can you take minimiun standover height and minimium seat height? I want see if i can fit the frame. Thanks!

Roadrash,

Thanks for posting your journeys with this kit. Probably going to order one but a bit concerned about it being able to fit my 3" tire on the rear. I'm using a 19" moto rim with a 3" tire... on the description of the kit it's "tires up to 2.7" - do you think this frame could fit my 3" wide moto tire? Yours looks like a 3" tire on the rear there! Watcha think man?

ninjagaiden said:
Hi there Roadrash. I'm new to the forum, but I came across this exact same frame from the Evelbike web site and I'm very interested to see how your build goes. I've built my own titanium and carbon fibre road bikes before, and I know all about Lipos from large scale RC cars, but this ebike stuff is new to me and I'm so glad I found this forum.

Mind if I ask :

How robust are the plastic side fittings to the frame?

Did you get the fork with the frameset?

That's a nice front chainset with the rock guard on it - again mind if I ask where you got it?

Cheers

N

The side covers are super strong so far.

No fork with the frame set. Bought this one used off ebay for $300

The crankset is off a dolomite fat bike. Cheap but it works !

Paladin said:
How has that Electric Enduro been treating you? Roadrash
Nice looking bike there.

Looks like EM3EV.com is going to sell these too.

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=209

...and
http://evelbike.com/catalog/accessories/frameset/electric-enduro-bike-frameset/

The bike is great and i have done some serious beating on it :lol: I will get into more detail on that later

visuthdy said:
Roadrash,
It's hard to tell from the picture, but I would like to know if the headset is 1.5" straight tube or 1 1/8 - 1.5" tapered headset. It comes with adapter to fit 1 1/8 straight steer tube or taper steer tube, right? Thanks.

Its a 1 1/8 -1.5" tapered

No adapter but you can get adapter bearings for 1 1/8 straight fork
chunder123 said:
I purchased one of these frames also. HEadtube internal diameter is 56mm so it is 1.5" headtube headset. frame comes with headset with crown race adaptor for tapered forks or 1" 1/8". i need advice on how to tighten the rear drop out pinch bolts around the motor axle. are you supposed to torque these up very tightly so they pinch the motor axle? unfortunately there are no holes on this frame to screw torque plates included with the 5kw motor used on electric scooter frames.

I just lightly snug up the axle nuts, tighten the pinch bolts without breaking them, then fully tighten the axle nuts

After its pinched it makes it a bitch to get the motor back out. Next time im going to hit it with the grinder so it slides out better. Just not in the area where the axle rests

markw said:
Roadrash,

Thanks for posting your journeys with this kit. Probably going to order one but a bit concerned about it being able to fit my 3" tire on the rear. I'm using a 19" moto rim with a 3" tire... on the description of the kit it's "tires up to 2.7" - do you think this frame could fit my 3" wide moto tire? Yours looks like a 3" tire on the rear there! Watcha think man?

Yep mine is a 3" 17 and i cant see any reason a 3x19 wouldn't fit

I will go take some pics

Leilie ebike also sell a metal battery case for this frame and i have ordered this which will keep a heavy battery secured in place. im not sure if there will be more battery space without using the battery case so i will see how big it is.

I was considering having the frame or battery case shipped to a battery manufacture listed on alibaba in china to make me a 40ah 21s battery pack exactly designed for this frames shape as a battery factory will be able to do a more professional job compared to a diy pack as they make thousands of them

Do you have a link to the battery case?

Kudos

http://www.enduroebike.com/sale-5909962-black-steel-electric-enduro-bike-battery-case-with-spray-painting.html

I'm not keen on the idea of using 18650 cells on a large 72v 35ah battery. say a cell failed imagine the hassle of taking apart 100s of cells and also not owning a spot welder.

THis is why i would prefer to use single large capacity prismatic cells custom sized so no need to use in paralell. over time as smaller capacity 18650 cells lose capacity this increases the chance of a cells failing.

single large capacity cells would not suffer as badly as when they lose capacity as they have large capacity where as 2.5 ah cells lose 20 percent capacity it can effect them alot

Nice job roadrash, looks almost identical to the bike I would build if I had the funds. One thing though, doesn't that rear shock seem a little short? Looks to me like it kinda throws off the frame geometry a little. Out of curiosity, what's the standover height from the top of the frame to the ground?

How's the build holding up?

chunder123 said:
Leilie ebike also sell a metal battery case for this frame and i have ordered this which will keep a heavy battery secured in place. im not sure if there will be more battery space without using the battery case so i will see how big it is.

I was considering having the frame or battery case shipped to a battery manufacture listed on alibaba in china to make me a 40ah 21s battery pack exactly designed for this frames shape as a battery factory will be able to do a more professional job compared to a diy pack as they make thousands of them

I checked here: http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=209 and found "We will be offering packages and custom built batteries for this frame in the near future." Don't know if that helps you or not.

chunder123 said:
http://www.enduroebike.com/sale-5909962-black-steel-electric-enduro-bike-battery-case-with-spray-painting.html

I'm not keen on the idea of using 18650 cells on a large 72v 35ah battery. say a cell failed imagine the hassle of taking apart 100s of cells and also not owning a spot welder.

THis is why i would prefer to use single large capacity prismatic cells custom sized so no need to use in paralell. over time as smaller capacity 18650 cells lose capacity this increases the chance of a cells failing.

single large capacity cells would not suffer as badly as when they lose capacity as they have large capacity where as 2.5 ah cells lose 20 percent capacity it can effect them alot

Over time yes, but todays 18650's will keep running in years. Most users will never have any problems with failure of 18650's if charged and discharged correctly. If one or two batteries should die there would be no need to dismount hundreds of batteries, only the ones that died. If you look around you will find Allex had single failure in a pack. Easy fix. And failure is a rare thing.

How long do you plan on keeping your pack? If you do well by it your 18650 pack most likely will have no problems for the first 5-6 years, other then a little less capacity. I've seen posts of people using Lipo packs for > 10.000 km and > then three years. All they did was use it with proper care. If lipo packs can last that long I would expect no less the twice that lifespan from 18650.
But already in two years time or so there will be significant improvements to 18650's, battery technology etc that will make you feel like getting a new pack to harvest the benefits. Also remember that as the demands for 18650 rises, more batteries will be produced and the prices will be lower, newer or better production tools, methods of manufacturing etc will all bring prices down. Today 500-1500 $ for high quality, large capacity 18650 pack. Imagine what 500 $ will buy you in five years, I say it will be worth swapping out the old one for new ones by then. :)

+1 on the 18650 cells. Good quality brand name cells should last for a decade with probably up to 20% degradation within 2-5 years. They are more likely to become obsolete sooner than they fail. Another benefit of 18650 is that they still beat LiPo in terms of energy density providing more range for less volume and weight. That's not to mention better safety due to metal can design. The only reason I would go with LiPo is if I needed a lot of amps for super hard acceleration (racing and such) but then even 10A 18650 cells allow to build pretty small and light weight packs with discharge rates well over practical use or necessity.

On another note, I I've completed my first build with this frame and I like it a lot so far. To put it into perspective, I come from aluminum hard tail that I ran at 88v (100.8v) 60A continuous and Crystalyte ht3525 in a 29 inch rim. I was getting speeds over 40mph on it. At speeds over 30mph, hardtail with a lighter frame and larger wheels feels insecure. This frame is heavier but still a manageable weight. My whole build is around 95lbs allowing me to lift it quite easily and carry it on the hitch rack for off-road riding.

I went with completely clean design: everything is hidden in the frame box, even the controller, and the charger. I figured that with charger weighing around 2lbs it makes sense to take it on board permanently (no more need to carry it in a bag or have one in each location, like home and work - less range anxiety). There has been some concern about cooling but I am using 18Fet at peak 60A that does not heat up a lot. The box still has ample space (should fit a secondary battery pack) allowing for some air circulation and the large opening by the bottom bracket helps. Well, at least now with 50F outside. I am yet to test it at 100F, but even then additional holes can be drilled in the box. I'll probably install a temperature probe in the box and monitor it for a while to see if that'll be necessary.

188-thickbox_default.jpg

Supwe jelly thinking about just buying the whole package out right and just slowly upgrade it as I see fit. Just wondering how it's holding up?

The frame is working well for me, no complains so far but I've ridden it on the paved roads mostly so far. Yet to put it to a real test in mountains once it gets a bit warmer.

Burk0133 said:
Supwe jelly thinking about just buying the whole package out right and just slowly upgrade it as I see fit. Just wondering how it's holding up?

Could you guys tell me in detail how is the swingarm attached to the frame?
Bearings in the frame?
What do you guys think about durability and power up to 10kW?

Yes, bearings on both sides and a long bolt with a nut cap. Pretty simple.
I think they rate the frame up to 8kW but I am running it up to 10kW no problem. No concerns about durability as it's made of steel.

Relanium said:
Could you guys tell me in detail how is the swingarm attached to the frame?
Bearings in the frame?
What do you guys think about durability and power up to 10kW?

Haha yea that is one of the last upgrades. I plan to get a 3t QS 205v3 laced to a 17" moto rim with a matching front. Still looking for tires but was thinking about these:

sava mc50 3.25 rear

sava-MC50-17x100-fslash-80-tire-2.jpg

Hutchinson gp1 2.75 front

moped-tire-hutchinson-2.75-2.jpg

I currently run 20s Lipo and am getting about 45mph max (24" rims and 4t mxus). With the 3t (12kv) QS even on 17s I should get closer to 60.

Believe it or not, the last one looks like Sava MC7 (have it on my moped)
BTW, Sava is from my country :wink:

So, you can fit 100/80 R17 tire at the back?
What's the swingarm inner width at 17''?
And the chain line?

Oh, and 3.25 in 17'' will work no problem. I run Shinko 3'' 17'' that are inflated close to 3.5'' and still some room to play with. I'd say 4'' of actual width will fit comfortably, just have to make sure the tire is perfectly centered.
This width will not work on 19'' rim because the swing arm narrows closer to the frame. See the pic.

tire_width.jpg

Anyone have a link where this frame can be purchased? The battery compartment size is perfect for me

I think this frame is a copy from China, called enduro frame might find that frame on Aliexpress.
Frame was cloned from the manufacturer of the Vector and ekross frames made in Ukraine.
Vector and ekross frame you can find in the for sale thread here in the forum. They are the original of this frame.

Back