Sabvoton SVMC7245 Controller with a Bafang 1000 Watt Geared Hub Motor

mudflap5

100 W
Trying to set up a Sabvoton SVMC7245 with a Bafang 1000 watt geared hub motor. Using a 14S 52 volt pack. Motor is in a 20 inch wheel. On the controller, I went through the blue-tooth 'Halls" set up, and it seems like it worked. On a test drive, it accelerates well, but while at a steady speed, it pulsates very badly. Anyone had any luck setting up this controller-motor combo?
Thanks.
-Paul

When pulsing at steady speed, do you mean riding at partial throttle, or at full throttle? Pulsing can be setting related, when limits kick in, so check your current or speed related limits in the software. Pulsing can also be connection related, so check the phase wire connections/terminals as well as the hall sensor connectors for loose connections or connector blades backing out, etc.

Pulsing occurs with a steady throttle around low to mid throttle, 20%-40%. Checked and double checked the phase and hall wires, they are crimped, soldered and insulated. The motor works fine with the stock controller, just want to bump up the power a little bit!

Is it an FOC controller? If so, is it setup for the motor's characteristics, and tuned for the desired motor / system operation? If not, there could be a feedback loop that needs to be tuned to run it smoothly (PI or PID loop), and/or the motor's inductance, resistance, kV, number of poles, etc could still need to be entered into the setup program.

The software will roll back power due to exceeding current, low voltage, high temperature or exceeding speed limits. If the pulsing is caused by exceeding a limit in the parameters, you should double check the settings in the input & output tab of the bluetooth app voltage and current limits, the temperature tab for temp limits, and the motor tab for speed limits. Is the battery fully charged when you are testing?

Battery fully charged. 80 amps available at 58.0 volts. It will accelerate without pulsing just fine under full throttle, it only does it at low to mid level current draws, 10 to 20 mph, and when slowly accelerating. I have set even set up the controller so that it runs at about half power on all the parameters, still does the same thing. I'm stumped!

Well, if the controller has the tuning parameters I mentioned, then you usually need to use them to make it operate correctly. ;)

Unlike generic controllers that have no tuning available, that just work however they work regardless of system they're on, the controllers with all these parameters are not plug and play, they must be setup to the specific motor and system they are used on.

I'd start by using the setup program to save all of your present controller settings, both to a file and manually writing them all down and/or taking screenshots (in case the program can't read the file or write it to the controller later).

Then start by tuning the loops (usually PI or PID) per whatever the controller's instructions say.

But...always note down your original settings, and always note down every change you make and the results, so you know what to go back to when things stop working. ...

Last edited:
"Not sure what that means, but maybe list or screen shot the settings you are using on these two tabs:"

Lowered the current values in the input-out page just to see what would happen. Did not change anything.
On the 'Motor" tab I changed the "Poter poles pair" :) to 23 (default) 16, 32, and 80. None of the changes in this value made any difference.
Took the motor apart and there are 16 magnets. There is a thread here somewhere in ES where they were running a similar motor and set the poles to 80, not sure why, but again, regardless of what the number was, it did not help with the pulsing.

Attachments

• Sab1.png
    Sab1.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Sab2.png
    Sab2.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Took the motor apart and there are 16 magnets. There is a thread here somewhere in ES where they were running a similar motor and set the poles to 80, not sure why,
You said it's a geared hubmotor; that means it has a gear reduction that "multiplies" the effective number of poles by the gear ratio for the purposes of speed measurements / motor RPM (or ERPM) vs wheel speed. So any controller that's measuring wheel speed via the main hall sensors needs to know the total effective number of poles, not just the actual number of poles (unless i has a separate place for the gear ratio multiplier).

What your controller needs in those settings you'd have to check it's manual for, or one of the threads here on ES about setting up that specific controller model and version.

Back