Schwinn OC Chopper rear hub motor vs front 170mm dropouts

KurtMoss

1 µW
I have a 1200 watt front hub motor on my Sting Ray. I want more power. I saw a 2000 watt front hub motor for 100mm dropouts on a front fork but I'm afraid it won't get enough traction. The rear has 170mm drop outs. I found a 3000 watt for 170mm on ali express. Can anyone tell Me about adding a rear hub motor please?

Your Sting-Ray was intended for power levels between zero and maybe 200W. It was built to be cheap above all other factors. It puts your body in a position that makes it difficult to cope with bumps, quick maneuvers, and road hazards.

While it's a good idea to have rear drive on a bike that's so heavily rear weight biased, it's probably not a good idea to turn up the power or speed above what you already have. Is your bike the kid sized version, or the "Spoiler" adult sized one?

Figure out what you'll do to have an effective rear brake (other than regen braking, which can leave you mysteriously without brakes at inopportune times).

KurtMoss said:
I have a 1200 watt front hub motor on my Sting Ray. I want more power. I saw a 2000 watt front hub motor for 100mm dropouts on a front fork but I'm afraid it won't get enough traction. The rear has 170mm drop outs. I found a 3000 watt for 170mm on ali express. Can anyone tell Me about adding a rear hub motor please?

If by adding you mean having a dual motor setup, then you will need another/second controller and some decent torque arms, and a battery that can supply both motors. You could run two throttles, or use a common/single throttle to both controllers. If you are using displays, you'll end up with two of them, one for each controller; same with PAS level selector buttons, etc.

Back