shimano rear derailler 592 mounting

medusa569

100 W
recently bough this rear derailler and am having a dickens of time getting it set up. think it has what called a shadow technology and an extra pulley wheel. t doesn't seem to be positioned right but can't see anyway but one to mount it onto the bike. he problem is the unit itself seems to sit too high on the bike with the pulleys sitting too high up near the bike frame it will eventually collide into the freewheel for half 0f the shifting. es i've tried playing with all the screws but nothing seems to significantly change anything as far as this spacing is concerned. elp

Attachments

• shimano rd-m592.jpg
    shimano rd-m592.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 10
  • shimano rd-m592 -2 .jpg
    shimano rd-m592 -2 .jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 10
Yes...how many links did the original derailer take up? If this one takes more, you need to add that many more links to your chain (or get one that's already that much longer).

If you have also changed your rear cluster (or front rings) to bigger ones, you have to add links to make up for that change, too.

recently bough this rear derailler and am having a dickens of time getting it set up. think it has what called a shadow technology and an extra pulley wheel. t doesn't seem to be positioned right but can't see anyway but one to mount it onto the bike. he problem is the unit itself seems to sit too high on the bike with the pulleys sitting too high up near the bike frame it will eventually collide into the freewheel for half 0f the shifting. es i've tried playing with all the screws but nothing seems to significantly change anything as far as this spacing is concerned. elp

There is a small edge above and behind the derailleur cage that needs the cage behind it; I suspect the cage is front of it. Take the chain off the chainring and move the derailleur cage back and forth a little. Take a look at what's behind the cage, what touches it from the upper part. You'll notice a small beveled edge on one side. The cage needs to be slowly and carefully moved around and then behind that (toward the rear of the bike). Then when you release the cage, the spring will move the cage forward until it hits that edge, and then it will stop.

Like rich said.
Detach cable and housing.
Remove chain tension, or entire chain.
Back the hanger attachment bolt two thirds of the way out.
Rotate the derailleur clockwise as far as it’ll go.
Retighten hanger bolt.
Shorten housing.
And you’re done.

Yes Rich got it right. This is a new style unlike my old one and I‌ finally saw the nub on the back near the mounting screw of the new derailler . They sure could stand to increase that nub a few more MMs. So consequently it bolts on at a very severe downward angle when putting it on. The chain length is the standard. Got it on ans set on the limiting screws. Hallelujah. Either I'm dense (‌which is quite possible) but the instruction manual did not make clear their drawing was depicting the BACK of the unit. Anyway all's good for the time being. I'll post my ebike problem in another posting. Thanks Guys!

Last edited:
I agree about the nub being larger.

You’re not dense. I think everyone who ever installed one of these went through the same thing.

Back