Single Chip BMS Research + DALY Pin Compatible BMS's

I see different colored balance taps (indicates customer feedback and previous failures)

I see "Made in China" stamped at the top (he is blurring that out, weak and disrespectful move)

I see FOUR external temp sensors!

I see UART access (blast that biatch with Arduino, LOL... Pirate Ship your ass so fast...)

I see some very odd wiring spacing on the black tap. I would have compacted those

I see a sketch ass jumper at the bottom next to the BLE or BlueTooth. NEVER use those lol.

Anyway
I am sure that BMS is like 400% better than what we are looking at on Amazon.

-methods

Questions that arise

* What about the BMS's in all these plug and play ebike packs?

* What about SOLAR BMS's... that is a really deep industry that tolerates no fools

* What about ....

Man, Lets go see if anyone has torn open an AmpTime yet!

-methods

I am watching this right now

[youtube]y06hhPgveb4[/youtube]

-methods

100A as opposed to 200A BMS
So 1/2C discharge rated

5 year warranty
Did not apply for mine... if I have to then I dont need it. Mine are running strong a year later.

Oh yea... take off your pants nasty boy!
Starting out potted. Good! I was wondering how they kept it water tight and what would happen as soon as my case cracked.

JDB.png

-methods

Doh!
Just injection molded, not potted. OK

RTV Patched in, O-ring style

Has to be a thermo-plastic as that lead is likely to get SUPER HOT

6AWG for 100A
Dual 8AWG

Oh yea... Oh yea... GO BIG OR GO HOME BRO!

JDB.png

He has magic plastic cutters

He is working out of pocket

H U G E deadspace!!!

ACK - he could have just run a razor along the tape edges instead of gutting it, oh well. At least he is going for it!!!

I dont know anything about his charger, I use MeanWell Potted Bricks

is anybody having fun yet????

JDB.png

I had the 100Ah version and it punches H A R D. Plenty to get the job done bro, plenty. Not Ebike stuff, but larger scale.

-methods

Looks like it may be the same cells, just ganged 2P **

This may be the exact battery I reviewed, just with double the capacity and a bigger box. Sweet, been waiting for this!

-methods

A C K aluminum bussbars!!!
Wow!

Dude is bugging on the exact torque. Meh - I just feel it on everything

anyway... turning out to be a great video!

Remember these BMS are rated for ganging in series up to 16S... so they have M A R G I N

HLZT4100AV01-0-..... 284-5

nothing
Has to be I and not L

HIZT4100 BMS

Never been here before: https://heltec-bms.com/products/bms/

-methods

On to this now
This is a 50Ah teardown, so definitely going to be a different BMS... but.. PERHAPS exactly what I am afterz eh? (only in 16 and not 4S)

JDB.png

Now watch this

Screenshot_20221123-054254_compress41.jpg
Screenshot_20221123-054249_compress40.jpg
Screenshot_20221123-054244_compress62.jpg
Screenshot_20221123-054259_compress82.jpg

I told you bro!

-methods

HLZT
HLT-769B-4
50A

That is called Google Translate
It superimposes English over Chinese characters allowing you to read in real time! You can see what I pulled off of that Youtube screenshot alone, even thru the strapping tape.

If you consider yourself any sort of Reverse Engineer. . . you better have this and I hope it is not available on iphone

C O U G H

-methods

I am sorry if I am going to slow you down or clog up your research.. but...
methods said:
I see FOUR external temp sensors!

I see a sketch ass jumper at the bottom next to the BLE or BlueTooth. NEVER use those lol.

I am sure that BMS is like 400% better than what we are looking at on Amazon.

-methods

I see 3x? And where/what is this BLE or Bluetoof jumper I am never supposed to use and what does it do and how might I get into trouble with it? Anyway, do you ever just measure the resistance of the fet banks to see if you can spot a clone, or a bad, fet bank? What clues do you look for, symptoms of a faulty BMS ( and I thank you for the other research you have done in the meanwhile... ).

Pick the first three off the top. Best words of wisdom I have heard all month, perhaps all year. Thankyou for that.

So I am installing one of these today, tomorrow, yesterday. Its interesting. Small for 200A and.. get this.. has a huge heatsink, that seems to be incorporated to the pcb! Very well soldered and good contact interface... However, I have a concern. I have to use about 1 1/2 foot plus... ( 14-18 inches) of BMS wire to distribute the cell voltage signals to the BMS headers from teh battery...... so that is going to be 21x ( 24g) wires carrying the cell level voltages from one area on the bike to another... anywhere from 14-18 inches long...harness... MY QUESTION IS....

... should I worry bout such a long run? Will there be any consequence? Will such a long cell voltage harness be(come) an electrical problem down the line? Thanks in advance for the reply.

This was cheap. 104$.

Attachments

• High-quality-smart-Bluetooth-BMS-6S-to-20S-1-750x750.jpg
    High-quality-smart-Bluetooth-BMS-6S-to-20S-1-750x750.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 48V-36V-24V-60V-72V-Smart-BMS-with-150A-to-200A-current-750x750.jpg
    48V-36V-24V-60V-72V-Smart-BMS-with-150A-to-200A-current-750x750.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 104
JDB.png

Oh yea...
I have a hardone for Ampere Time since they did me right. I took a really big gamble talking the guys out of buying more lead for the Golf Cart. It was SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive to buy the Lithium cells and everybody was giving me the eye...

Damn format was not right of course, they would not just drop right in. Had to hodger the damn things into the cart with a piece of plywood

BUT DUDE

* So much lighter
* So much less charging fuss (leave it dead, who cares)
* So much more punch off the line
* So much more punch as the pack burns off

The original batteries were huge, like 260Ah or whatever those giant 8V bastards are. IIRC there were 6pcs of 8V battery to add up to 48V nominal. So my 4pcs of 12V 100Ah were not a good fit - but - I made them fit

Point of story?

* I put my nads out on the block to get crushed. I bet my reputation on a total unknown
* Worked!

Since then... nobody has much to say :wink:

All I did was ratchet-strap those bad-boys in and tie them together with some cheapy 2AWG Amazon gold cart cable kit that was like $42

Yea... Living the D R E A M
Anyway - I now want to support the same BMS they are using. Lets go do that.

-methods

Good timing
Pause while I parse the above

DogDipstick said:
I see 3x? And where/what is this BLE or Bluetoof jumper I am never supposed to use and what does it do and how might I get into trouble with it?

You might be right about 3 vs 4, I am cross-eyed. The specific jumper I am talking about is the 100mil (2.54mm) standard pin jumper I see in the picture. I did not read to see what it is for, but they are known for falling off. For jumpers we use solder pads these days.

As for BLE or the high power BlueToof
All of those (to a T) use UART and all modern microcontrollers use UART. This is just your RS-232 in 0-5V, your native terminal. When you attach to an Arduino you are hooking up to the UART via an FTDI USB converter. SO... The standard is to utilize an external bluetooth (really BLE) module - then that does not count against your power budget... and you can choose exactly what you want to use

S P E A K I N G
O F
W H I C H

I have had one of those "Bluetooth BMS's" cooking out in my garage for months. I am wondering what the leakage current is when it is not connected. I know when you connect with the phone it C H U G S current, so you have to be careful.

DogDipstick said:
Anyway, do you ever just measure the resistance of the fet banks to see if you can spot a clone, or a bad, fet bank? What clues do you look for, symptoms of a faulty BMS ( and I thank you for the other research you have done in the meanwhile... ).

You cant directly measure the ON resistance. You have to do it in the same way that you calibrate a CA

* Drive a constant current
* Read the resultant voltage Drain to Source
* Use Ohms Law to calculate the effective ON resistance

As for troubleshooting
I demonstrated in other thread. You always start in Diode Test on Fluke DMM. You look for the Body Diode. The mosfet can be in 3 states

* Shorted ON
* Blown OPEN
* Happy with Cathode on the Drain, Anode on the Source

We are talking N-Channel here of course

DogDipstick said:
Pick the first three off the top. Best words of wisdom I have heard all month, perhaps all year. Thankyou for that.

Yea... Mouser and Digikey have been competing for who can guess what you want to buy. Just like Amazon, they will push to the top what the other shoppers are buying. This is a way of anonymously breaching privacy and sharing what others purchased.

Mouser is even more obvious: They will be like: "Other People Bought This too"
This is the case where you need highly specific pins and sockets for some housing. Very helpful.

As for DIgikey
I have found that if the top 3 choices do not match your requirements then you are either
* Asking the wrong question
* Looking for a unicorn

DO NOT!!! Seek Tom Cruise Unicorns. Always go standard.

DogDipstick said:
So I am installing one of these today, tomorrow, yesterday. Its interesting. Small for 200A and.. get this.. has a huge heatsink, that seems to be incorporated to the pcb! Very well soldered and good contact interface... However, I have a concern. I have to use about 1 1/2 foot plus... ( 14-18 inches) of BMS wire to distribute the cell voltage signals to the BMS headers from teh battery...... so that is going to be 21x ( 24g) wires carrying the cell level voltages from one area on the bike to another... anywhere from 14-18 inches long...harness... MY QUESTION IS....

Before I read your question, the answer is Kelvin Measurement.
The issue is that the balance taps can draw current over the very same lines that you are trying to take a sensitive measurement. This can easily get up into 10mV, 20mV, 40mV....

Now to read your question

DogDipstick said:
... should I worry bout such a long run? Will there be any consequence? Will such a long cell voltage harness be(come) an electrical problem down the line? Thanks in advance for the reply.

I can not advise you other than to say...
Yea, it will work

As you converge on balance your balance resistors will turn on less and less until they basically do not need to turn on. At that time you could read 20 feet of wire and get the same measurement. The only concern is ... slop... due to balance currents disrupting cell measurements.

* Larger Gauge Wire

When you extend something you UP GAUGE. This is the case where manufacturer says you can go 10 inches with 20AWG. Well... then I can no doubt go 20 inches with like... 16AWG, right? The problem is one of ohms law

V = I * R
Where I is the balance current
R is the resistance of the cabling per INCH
V is the error in your ADC readings

FINAL ANSER
Extend as far as you like, but upgage a notch or two. If they use 24AWG you may try 18 or 20AWG

DogDipstick said:
This was cheap. 104$.

I once paid more to rub a dogs ass.

-methods

PXL_20221123_152120560_compress18.jpg

I found this bag of crap above while cleaning out the cabinets. Amongst old sacks of reefer, broken laptops, instruction manuals for things I don't own....

PXL_20221123_152413233_compress3.jpg

This is the half inch strain relief I spoke of. You knock out that plastic one and replace it with this metal one. It's quite important.

This particular style just clicks in and is very easy to use. Always trying to leave your cables when you're dealing with serious stuff.

PXL_20221123_152406413_compress45.jpg

I forgot about this... Bought it and never even tried it once. Looks like today is the day

PXL_20221123_152436458_compress47.jpg

PXL_20221123_152445675_compress65.jpg

Same principle as the ble dongles that plug into the BMS only this one goes over USB. It is conformal coated*

But...
You can reverse engineer it in about 5 minutes and copy it from stuff you can get from adafruit. There is absolutely no magic here and I'm certain what's going to happen is that it's going to cling on to the first Wi-Fi it can find

Let's go read them strukshuns

PXL_20221123_152802256_compress45.jpg

Purpose here is the instrument our 5,000 W battery test rig, cough. I have another one that pushes back on the grid. Turns out the grid makes for a fine load.

-methods

Starting here
[youtube]knQo4QMYhK8[/youtube]

D O H
Threw away the box about a thousand years ago. What bet you thems the same codez that be on the PCB main?

Damn
I may still have the box, in fact I do out at the job site. I always save stuff like that eh? lol...

* If it has anything like IMEI or MAC or Passwords, save it!

Ohh... its a hotspot!
Nice

Ack
12345678 no work
Grt12345 work

Ok, finally got it working. It was a horrible nightmare. Never got the desktop to work, some exe tried to trigger, killed that. Working from the phone. Shady-ass software running

Eh... You have to start from RED LIGHT else it lets you wait 1,000 lifetimes then says you failed. This firmware engineer... swift kick to ass. Most awful experience

-methods

NOP
nop
Nope
Fail

Nothing works... and that is probably why I left this thing sitting in a ziploc bag for 11 months before I even tried it. Jenkem is what it is. Server Issues. Bootstrap issue really.

You have to put the device into hotspot, log into it like your home router, set it up to jump on your actual home router... only... when you log in to the hotspot the page is broken/hosed. Same on internet or via app.

Hosedness

-methods

Failed
https://signaturesolar.com/content/documents/GROWATT/1519024-manual.pdf

Failed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTuwAlKj9cY

Now what the hell was I doing hours ago before I got off down this horrible track?

oh yes!
We were reverse engineering the BMS in the Amptime. Back to that

-methods

So dangerous
You can remotely change settings
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/alternate-software-for-growatt-shinewifi-s-to-mqtt/432916

-methods

Freak bug
Very long story, my 5Ghz network was named XXXYYY_2.4 for some horrific and unknown reason. Both my 5G and 2.4G networks had the same SSID, so no matter what I did I was on 5G

Lol
So lame

Back