Slowest wind direct drive hub motor(s) available?

by markz » Oct 29 2020 3:48am

What about the gap between the magnets?

You could analyze it forever and get a percentage point here or there.

The bottom line, it doesnt matter! Just get out there and ride. Stop analyzing and make the purchases now.

I like riding more than analyzing.

markz said:

The bottom line, it doesnt matter! Just get out there and ride. Stop analyzing and make the purchases now.

You may need to lower your expectations. Nothing I see in this thread indicates that the OP is interested in building or riding. Most things between what's theory and what's practical would get cleared up with hands on experience. When the discussion remains practical, there's still a chance that a discussion could result in a real build, and it could just be analysis paralysis. But when people go off onto theoretical tangents, the likelihood that the build will ever happen really goes down. Seems like a freeform discussion of random ebike stuff, centered loosely around motor winding. But I agree, riding is more fun. :thumb:

E-HP said:
markz said:

You may need to lower your expectations. Nothing I see in this thread indicates that the OP is interested in building or riding. Most things between what's theory and what's practical would get cleared up with hands on experience. When the discussion remains practical, there's still a chance that a discussion could result in a real build, and it could just be analysis paralysis. But when people go off onto theoretical tangents, the likelihood that the build will ever happen really goes down. Seems like a freeform discussion of random ebike stuff, centered loosely around motor winding. But I agree, riding is more fun. :thumb:

I noticed you made a lot of mistakes with your own build---> https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97945

So you of all people should be less critical about other people's learning process.

ebike4healthandfitness said:
E-HP said:
markz said:

I noticed you made a lot of mistakes with your own build---> https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97945

So you of all people should be less critical about other people's learning process.

Learning is fine, but some folks are responding as though you may have indicated that you are going to build a bike, rather than just learning. That's not being critical, just pointing out that it doesn't appear the point of your thread. But my mistakes are exactly the point, that you need to actually put together a bike and ride it a while to know what you ultimately want for your personal riding needs.

E-HP said:
E-HP said:
markz said:

Learning is fine, but some folks are responding as though you may have indicated that you are going to build a bike, rather than just learning. That's not being critical, just pointing out that it doesn't appear the point of your thread. But my mistakes are exactly the point, that you need to actually put together a bike and ride it a while to know what you ultimately want for your personal riding needs.

Nobody needs to actually put together an e-bike to know want they ultimately want for their own personal riding needs.

A much better starting process in terms of time and efficiency would be to either borrow an ebike, rent an ebike or buy prebuilt e-bikes.

Doing that is a whole bunch more efficient than buying components and swapping those to different frames.....trying to find out what works.

Nobody needs to actually put together an e-bike to know want they ultimately want for their own personal riding needs.

I would not call early ideas a mistakes. did not know what was needed to do what I wanted but did not realize until had mine built and road for a year or so. I started out building a Hard tail AWD but ended up with rear suspension tadpole trike.

A much better starting process in terms of time and efficiency would be to either borrow an ebike, rent an ebike or buy prebuilt e-bikes.

Doing that is a whole bunch more efficient than buying components and swapping those to different frames.....trying to find out what works.
Thanks for clarifying. So it sounds like you are still exploring and learning, haven't decided to build a bike yet, and haven't tried, borrowed, or rented one yet. Does that capture it?

People tend to stay in the forums a long time before they pull the trigger on building or buying an ebike. From watching a few of Justin's video's that's what he says, and thats what I did to. Though I went with a 454 instead of a 289 if you know what I mean.

I had started buying before reading ES. Asked a few questions before final selection of motor/controller/batteries. Completed my first build pretty quick. 40 mph DH bike. I was satisfied with the ride but soon planned better top speed and power. Built one a year for the next 6 years. Some 12 years later I am still riding the best 2 of them that had been mod a few times. The others had been sold and still riding.

MadRhino said:
Some 12 years later I am still riding the best 2 of them that had been mod a few times. The others had been sold and still riding.

2 is a good number. No bike will do it all, so in the end, having an off road and a road going version seems best for someone that likes both types of riding. I'm really happy with my current bike, but that doesn't stop me from looking at Craigslist daily for the perfect frame for my next (mid drive) bike, or even a full suspension frame with a large enough triangle to move my current components over to.

...well maybe three bikes. I've been eying cargo bikes, and long wheelbase seems cool.

E-HP said:
MadRhino said:
Some 12 years later I am still riding the best 2 of them that had been mod a few times. The others had been sold and still riding.

2 is a good number. No bike will do it all, so in the end, having an off road and a road going version seems best for someone that likes both types of riding. I'm really happy with my current bike, but that doesn't stop me from looking at Craigslist daily for the perfect frame for my next (mid drive) bike, or even a full suspension frame with a large enough triangle to move my current components over to.

...well maybe three bikes. I've been eying cargo bikes, and long wheelbase seems cool.

With inverter welders so cheap, and easy to use, you should consider building your own to take the build fun to a different dimension. Add an angle grinder and auto darkening helmet to the mix, and learn to weld. Then buy ready made steer tubes and bottom brackets to avoid needing a lathe, or buy cheapie old steel frames for next to nothing and mod or cannibalize them for parts, and go to town.

Yes, buy an affordable welder and start building a longtail, with 20" rear wheel. The lower rear deck makes it handle a lot better with a load of groceries aboard, and the smaller wheel will make it tow a bigger load easier. The long tail makes the cargo deck bigger, and the ride more comfortable.

Unless you get so lucky as to find an affordable used longtail with similar features. But that bike won't have the battery trays in the center that you can have if you build your own.

Back