SMVC96120 + CA3 + regenerative braking

Santacruz

100 W
Hi all,
I am busy wiring up my new bike build and have solved a few wiring problems regards throttle connection etc.
But I am a bit stuck and confused on the regenerative brake set up.
I will running through a CA3.
This means the only control to the controller is via a throttle signal wire.
However,
I also have a left hand throttle to use as regenerative brake control.
My controller has input for low brake (One wire to ground, I guess to cut the controller power - but this will be done by the CA3)
One wire labelled 'brake connect 12v or nothing'
One 3 wire plug for brake throttle, 5v, gnd and signal.
Am I right in thinking that I can just connect my throttle (Left braking one) to the brake throttle input and this will operate the regen, or do I have to have the 12v connected as well.
It should be simple, but for some reason I am finding it confusing.
I should add, my plan would be to pull the brake lever (Front brake) to cut power and then add regen via the throttle.

Hey there,

I have a Sabvoton 72150 so take this with a grain of salt but all it took for me to get variable regen working was the enable throttle based regen in the MQCON app and plug in the regen throttle to the 3 pin variable regen connector.
My biggest hurdle to getting this to work was obtaining the right MQCON app that actually had the option to enable it.
The app I initially obtained from MQCON didn't have the option.
The Low Brake and "12 volt or nothing" (High Brake) don't need to be connected to anything to enable variable regen.

Brett

Edit: Just realized I already replied to you in another thread. My apogies for being redundant.

Thanks for the info.
That was what I needed.
My app and PC program has the option for selecting throttle brake, so I should be good to go.
Oh, and your reply was to a different question.

Hi Trumplestilskin,

I have a question on the regen.
When you operate it via the second regen throttle, does it cut the motor? Or do you have to cut the motor via the brake lever first, before adding regen.
I am wondering what would happen if it was accidentally twisted while riding on throttle.
If that is the case, I would run the gnd wire through the brake lever first, so I would need brake lever pulled before throttle regen would work.

Hi Santacruz,

If I activate the braking throttle while the forward throttle is engaged, it will cut out the forward throttle and apply braking force.
I guess I have a different mind set than you. I was pretty stoked about that when I first tested it because I feel safer knowing I can cut power with the regen brake if
I have a runaway throttle situation.
I'm not running any brake cutoff switches currently and have no plan to in the future.

Brett

Thanks Brett,

That's just what I wanted to know. I had a slight fear that the throttle regen wouldn't cut the forward throttle.
Yes, my brakes have switches, should a emergency appear, normal reaction would be, I guess, to grab a hand full of brake, so having them wired in will cut the power.
The regen is more for leisure braking for me.

John

Trumplestilskin said:
Hey there,

I have a Sabvoton 72150 so take this with a grain of salt but all it took for me to get variable regen working was the enable throttle based regen in the MQCON app and plug in the regen throttle to the 3 pin variable regen connector.
My biggest hurdle to getting this to work was obtaining the right MQCON app that actually had the option to enable it.
The Low Brake and "12 volt or nothing" (High Brake) don't need to be connected to anything to enable variable regen.

Brett

Edit: Just realized I already replied to you in another thread. My apogies for being redundant.

Hi has anyone got a link for the android app that has the option for selecting throttle brake? as I cant seem to find it on Google app store.

Hardergamer said:
Trumplestilskin said:
Hey there,

Brett

Hi has anyone got a link for the android app that has the option for selecting throttle brake? as I cant seem to find it on Google app store.

I am not sure it can be set via the app. I did via the PC program.

People have posted that there is a phone app with it. So it would be real handy when out and about... :)

Back