So I got pulled over by the police today.

Just because you might have enough room to make it across an intersection without STOP doesn't take into account how approaching vehicles may freak out and overreact by your swift presence out of order. My policy - even if an approaching vehicle is a great distance away it's not a big deal to STOP if only to take the extra precaution. We do have motors, ya know? Sure, I blow STOPs too but only if it's completely, absolutely, desolate intersection.

Get some training folks and ride pro!

dogman said:
E beach, your situational awareness of what is going on behind you needs a LOT of work.

And a mirror wouldn't hurt either. :lol:

e-beach said:
dogman said:
E beach, your situational awareness of what is going on behind you needs a LOT of work.

And a mirror wouldn't hurt either. :lol:

Or two...

Punx0r said:
How honest were you in answering the cop's question about speed and power?

Very honest.

"So how fast does it go?" The second policeman asked me.

"With out-pedaling? I said "20 mph because that is the law. There are 'off-road' electronics one could buy and go faster but who would want to? After all, it's just a bicycle not a motorcycle." :D

Failing to make a complete stop in an enclosed motor vehicle creates a "moving blind spot" behind the pillars, mirrors, headrests, etc. where an external moving object (bicycle, motorcycle, pedestrian, for example) will be obscured if it is advancing at the same speed as the blind spot. When at a complete stop, external moving objects are more readily discerned; especially if the motorist leans forward in the seat to fully check the surroundings. Many drivers aren't aware of this, and often say "I never saw him before I hit him" after an accident. :roll:

I always have a copy of the laws with me to make sure that if any police pull me over that I will not get a ticket. So far so good no tickets.

+1 Dogman Like it or not: We -each and everyone of us- are todays ambassadors to the E-bike evelution.

We should all practice TOLERANCE each and every ride.....for the betterment of our hobby.

We all know how many times we Tolerate a driver that does not (or choses not) to see us, and we should always be on the look out for pedestrians that impose their right-of-way on us...(albeit most of the time they are NOT in the right-of-way!!)

If a cop stops you, please try to continue the same good Karma... Sometimes those pesky cops are learning too (and in California most of OUR bikes are completely illegal, but we hope to not get cited for it)

-1 Chalo "....I don't feel any ethical obligation to conduct myself according to rules that were designed to mitigate hazards caused by motor vehicles........."
.....I guess you can "feel" your hand signing a citation then! The world is full of people that make up their minds as to what they "feel" that have to do and what they DONT have to do.... at a certain point it's just physics.... if we run lights/signs (like I do too-when no one is looking) then we are rolling the dice..... The real problem is that you make us look bad if you are blatant about it.

-1 WESNEWELL
NEWS FLASH: YOU ARE NOT A BICYCLIST!!! We are NOT bicyclists on our E-bikes
Your electric motor/hub/controller makes you different from bicyclists. Your signature line says that you have 45 MPH ability...... a 6'2" 270lbs gent screaming down the street on what looks to be a bike-at night- w/o a working tail light.........you getting stopped, well, that is just good police work really... tough shit.
You could be the best person in the world deep down in your heart, but you actions at that exact moment override all of it!

(side note: 6'2" 270lbs gents don't usually have to have anyone else enforce/assist laws for them, but all the rest of us rely on POLICE (or their big burly buddy) to remind that same 6'2" 270 lbs dude to follow the laws/courtesy.....funny how that works)

............sorry for the tirade. Cops hunt bad guys. I hate bad guys......

A few weeks ago I'm busting through town in my usual manner: slowing for stop signs, check that coast is clear, then continuing through the intersections. I'm coming off a slight downhill, doing around 30. Little bit of brake before the stop sign, see a car pulling up to the four-way. I'm first to the intersection, so can safely bomb through . . . except this car has lights and a siren on it. I lock up the brakes, skid for about 15 feet and come to a stop perfectly in line with the stop sign. The cop pulls through--her window is open--she smiles and says "You know you have to stop at the stop signs right?" I say yes, and go my merry way.

I did spend a night in jail once for running a red light on a bicycle. That's another story though.

Ryank said:
-1 WESNEWELL
NEWS FLASH: YOU ARE NOT A BICYCLIST!!! We are NOT bicyclists on our E-bikes
Your electric motor/hub/controller makes you different from bicyclists. Your signature line says that you have 45 MPH ability...... a 6'2" 270lbs gent screaming down the street on what looks to be a bike-at night- w/o a working tail light.........you getting stopped, well, that is just good police work really... tough shit.
You could be the best person in the world deep down in your heart, but you actions at that exact moment override all of it!

(side note: 6'2" 270lbs gents don't usually have to have anyone else enforce/assist laws for them, but all the rest of us rely on POLICE (or their big burly buddy) to remind that same 6'2" 270 lbs dude to follow the laws/courtesy.....funny how that works)

............sorry for the tirade. Cops hunt bad guys. I hate bad guys......
News flash for you. I was doing about 10mph. The cops didn't even know it was an ebike or if they did, they didn't mention it. Now if you want to give up your civil rights that's fine with me. I don't and won't. I'm not a person to unlawfully screw with, and that's what they did. Just today saw my first cop since the incident and asked them if they had been informed about the bicycle laws. They hadn't and didn't know them or even know what I was talking about. So just a few hours ago I again sent another email to the police supervisor, and this time I copied the Mayor and all the city council members. If that doesn't do any good I'll contact the media and file a civil rights violation case against the city and police. BTW, I'm not anywhere close to 6'2". I'm a old fart of 66, but I won't be pushed around by anyone. BTW, some cops are the bad guys. If you think not, then you're living in dream world.

Okay. Good luck be safe. I wish you the best.

Back