• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Still need torque washers with torque arm?

I'm running a 500w nominal 750w peak rear hub motor on my DIY bike. Currently, I have a torque washer on each side of the bike. I'm adding one torque arm next week.

Do I still need to use the torque washers on both sides?

Should I run a torque washer on the side of the bike without the torque arm?

Or can I get rid of both torque washers completely after the single torque arm is installed?

creativepart said:
I'm running a 500w nominal 750w peak rear hub motor on my DIY bike. Currently, I have a torque washer on each side of the bike. I'm adding one torque arm next week.

Do I still need to use the torque washers on both sides?

Should I run a torque washer on the side of the bike without the torque arm?

Or can I get rid of both torque washers completely after the single torque arm is installed?

Given the specs, optional in my opinion. If you are using regen, then the more protection the better, so yes in that case.

It's advisable to use them at the bolt-torque arm interface to prevent your nut from removing metal from the torque arm.

Not using them and jamming the nut on directly probably provides a better grip at the expense of taking metal off the torque arm itself. Better to do that damage to the washer IMHO.

If by "torque washers"", you are talking about those built-up cast C-washers w/ a tang, I would say throw them in the garbage and use flat steel C-washers.
A number of years ago I used a pr. of genaric torque arms (from Ebay), I think most of us the type, sloppy on a 12 mm axle, but won't quite fit on a 14 mm axle. Even though I had pre-loaded the TA's, when I removed the whl. (after using), the axle had moved enough to crack the torque washers. I'm glad they broke because the axle movement could have just as well cracked one or both of my fork drop outs (frt. mount).
I think the torque washers were designed (being generous here) for steel components.
These days I'm very particular about how the TA fits and don't really rely that much on clamping pressure.
And my attitude is, if a TA's can be installed on each side, why not. Even on the low-powered system I generally use.

Back