sturmey archer left side belt drive hub

flyinmonkie

10 kW
Saw this hub on a currie bike from a link in another thread. Looks like a geared internal hub with a left side pully drive and a right side 9 speed cassette.

http://www.curriestore.com/59-izip-express-unisex.html

Here is what it says on the website.

Exclusive Evo-Drive(TM) Proprietary Planetary Differential Combined w/SRAM RD-X.7, SL-X.7, PowerGlide 950 11-32T 9-speed, Shimano FD-M580-E, 27-Speed Drivetrain

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/3795.html

According to this site it is a hybrid drive system that combines the pedal power with the motor power smoothly.

There are no parts listed for sale for the bike, but maybe soon the hub will be available as a replacement. Could be good for geared setups that want to pedal with the motor. It is on a 750w setup, so it may have potential to handle more.

Clay

Thanks Miles. I find the hub the most interesting part of the bike. Would be nice to be able to get just the rear hub.

Clay

There is a long thread about the SRAM Dual-Drive, which is a splined freehub with a 3-speed IGH. The splines have enough room for two independent freewheels, so you could have a $120 ENO for the motor freewheel (to take the extra power) and a 1, 2,or 3 sprocket freewheel for the pedals. The SRAM-DD/ENO/freewheel would be around $400. It gives the motor 3 gears, and the pedals will have 3 gears 'times' the number of any additional gears at the BB.

GGoodrum has some adapters for $20 that allow two freewheels on the right side of an IGH. I am working on a 3-speed, but the pedals and also the motor could have the use of anywhere from 3 to 8 speeds.

I like the bike you posted, but...its pricey, and any parts from it are likely to be pricey also, (if they ever become available to the public separately)

This hub looks like a SRAM DD in function, 27 gears with 9 external sprockets (so, 3 gears internal). The left-side belt/pulley seems to indicate the motor only has the use of one speed.

Of interest to me is the pulley. It is likely made to attach to a disc-brake flange. If its ISO/6-hole, it could be useful to many here...

spinningmagnets said:
This hub looks like a SRAM DD in function, 27 gears with 9 external sprockets (so, 3 gears internal). The left-side belt/pulley seems to indicate the motor only has the use of one speed.

:roll: :? I dont think its quite that simple ..
The rider turns the hub forward on the right side while the electric motor turns the hub backwards on the left side.

“It sounds like it shouldn’t work with each end of the hub going in the opposite direction,
“It relies on the differential drive technology developed by Michael Kutter and his company Dolphin, and some tricky hub technology from Sturmey-Archer to pull it off,” he added.

Sturmey’s patented hybrid drive rear hub combines a dual input planetary drive to blend human and electric power. Dolphin’s patented pedal-electric hybrid drive system uses a transmission similar to the hybrid mechanics found in some hybrid automobiles.
Riders notice the biggest change climbing, where the Express can hold to 20 mph no matter how steep the climb.

I called currie and asked to buy a rear wheel but they said they have no parts for that model.

Back