Sur-Ron - Belt upgrade KIT

sens_dep said:
I heard the gear ratio of this kit is 1/8.5, sound correct?

It is 1 : 8.25

sens_dep said:
Hey Allex! Just purchased one! Super excited.

Just a few questions:

I’ll be testing this up against Luna’s belt drive... I should expect more torque out of yours, right?

I heard the gear ratio of this kit is 1/8.5, sound correct?

Where can I buy extra belts? What’s the length on them? And where do I get that awesome looking red belt!? :twisted:

Yes, you will have more torque as it is a 52t eqv where 48t is the stock sprocket on a surron.
I will send you a red belt, those are the ones we have in stock for now. I have extra belts as well, they are 1440mm

I've been battling a dreaded squeal sound at higher speeds (and once it shows up, it will start happening at lower speeds) since I purchased this kit. In between juggling work and family meltdowns with this pandemic, I've been trying to get to the source of the issue. Confirming belt tension (on both belts), confirming alignment, trying cold-weather surf wax, spokes tight, etc.

Last night, I finally disassembled everything and went through assembly from scratch to ensure I wasn't missing anything.

I'm still hearing the same high-pitch squeal once I hit higher speeds....and once it shows up, it even stays at lower speeds.

Any suggestions on what else I can do to get rid of this? :?:

No clue what the squeal is but I don't think it is drivetrain related because the tone doesn't change with the speed.

Wild guess...I'd say it is something electrical/electronic that is resonating.

PellyNV said:
The same sound is heard in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdGNE343-mU

The noise you talk about is it the high pitch wine which is getting louder when you film on the controller?

This sounds like typical noise from the controller and/or motor which comes from PWM frequency being in audible range.

Do you mean this?

I found the spokes were resonating on mine. I placed zip ties on the spoke crossings and it was greatly reduced.

Here's a quick video I took today showcasing the exact sound....

https://youtu.be/FpXsnf7TVTI

Any other feedback greatly appreciated!

PellyNV said:
Here's a quick video I took today showcasing the exact sound....

https://youtu.be/FpXsnf7TVTI

Any other feedback greatly appreciated!

I had a similar issue with the Luna belt drive kit as well, and it never went away. It was a bit more frequent than yours, as you can hear the rotation of the motor. Mine was a constant whine, at any speed. Some people suggested primary drive belt tension (you can look up a tutorial on how to do that, its super easy), but that only made the whine stop for a few minutes. High top speed would make it come back. And it wasn't spoke resonance, like the above comment suggested. As i had the vibration-like noise before and after i completely swapped the wheels.

After installing this kit, i get the noise right when i start up the bike, HOWEVER after the first few hundred feet it goes away and doesn't come back until the bike has sat overnight. Very strange. My bet is on something within the primary drive belt and the shaft, NOT this kit. Saw someone selling a chain drive for the primary belt... I wonder how loud it would be to remove the primary belt and swap it... My personal preference is a dead silent bike.

FYI this kit has been FANTASTIC. It skips WAY less than the tiny Luna kit (actually never) with my Nucular 24f controller. If i could rate it? 5/5 :flame:

Hi,
The whole purpose of this kit was that we wanted to avoid the belt skipping, especially at high power, this is very important, otherwise you will just damage the belt.
If you install chain drive on the primary, the bike would be very loud.

sens_dep said:
After installing this kit, i get the noise right when i start up the bike, HOWEVER after the first few hundred feet it goes away and doesn't come back until the bike has sat overnight. Very strange. My bet is on something within the primary drive belt and the shaft, NOT this kit.

Yes i did listen the vid a few times and given the slow speed he was riding, the noise would more suit to the primary drive with it's higher RPM and belt speed.

I usually release the primary belt tension by one click from the factory setup. The is less drag in the bike, there is less noise and it does not skip at 12kW of power.

Why on earth doesn't the rear sprocket have an inner retaining ring?

Please don't say 'because it doesn't need one', that would be lame. As I see it if I hit anythingfrom the side the belt will just come off and I'd be stuck. Is that the idea, for it to come off for sfety reasons?

I'd recommend installing the rear sprocket so the flange is on the inside. This way if the belt decides to come off, at least it won't get caught on the spokes. It also makes it easier to inspect the teeth and makes it easier to take off the rear wheel.

Terrified said:
Why on earth doesn't the rear sprocket have an inner retaining ring?

Please don't say 'because it doesn't need one', that would be lame. As I see it if I hit anythingfrom the side the belt will just come off and I'd be stuck. Is that the idea, for it to come off for sfety reasons?

This is standard on most belt drives. Two guide flanges on the small pulley and only one flange on the large. It is what manufacturers recommend.

If you hit anything from the side i think it will be possible to put it back on with your hands.
Normally if it comes off then you have a big alignment problem and you better have the tools with you to fix that (for axle nut and tension screws).

Allex said:
If the belt comes off to the outside where the riders right leg is, well that can get dangerous.

If the belt comes off either side it can get dangerous. Once the belt comes off, it will immediately stop moving.
That said, as long as the sprockets are properly aligned and the axle doesn't come loose or something there isn't much chance the belt will ever derail. I've had several belt driven scooters and never had a belt come off, but have had belts break.

After 500km my belt drive looks like the following pictures.
The teeth look good, but at some places the belt starts to come apart.
It does not slip until now, but I had squeaking sounds until I started spraying "Mannol 9897 Belt Tensioner" all over the belt.
Now I just have to spray every second/third ride depending on dirt to not make it squeak.

And attached a video of the belt drive on a 15KW Surron

[youtube]_S7ZGHM3Z5o[/youtube]

Attachments

• IMG_3651.jpeg
    IMG_3651.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 1,568
  • IMG_3654.jpeg
    IMG_3654.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 1,568
  • IMG_3658.jpeg
    IMG_3658.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 1,569
  • IMG_3661.jpeg
    IMG_3661.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 1,568
Merlin said:
Is your belt equal to 42T?

Power from zero looks more like 6-8kw only.
Stock tires and pretty low wheelspin on dirt.

Controller? Can't see what it is.

Its the one from Allex, see Post 1.
Who says that I am always full throttle in the video?
15,4KW is Peak, logged in Vesc-Tool.
Vesc 75 300, as written in video discribtion.

I’m trying to convert a regular bike to electric and wondering if it’s possible to mount these sprockets and belt on a regular bike.
I’d mount the motor cog hopefully on a “freewheel” on an 8 or 10mm motor shaft and hopefully can get the wheel cog on the brake rotor mount (I want to still pedal and would leave a chain on the other side of the hub and single speed on the wheel Freehub body). Anyone do similar?

Imho the Sur-Ron, even with belt-drive, is too loud. It is strange that the motor makes such a whining sound. A direct drive hub motor used as a mid-drive seems to be a better solution. The cyberbike or the vector vortex for example are almost completely silent.

ebikeman123 said:
Imho the Sur-Ron, even with belt-drive, is too loud. It is strange that the motor makes such a whining sound. A direct drive hub motor used as a mid-drive seems to be a better solution. The cyberbike or the vector vortex for example are almost completely silent.

It is not the motor that makes noise, there is two things:
Surron have two stage gear reduction, here you have extra noise and then you have a huge sprocket on the hub motor in Vortex. Chain on small sprockets makes more noise than on big ones because of the higher chain speed.

Back