Throttle is always on a little bit ...

SloNEZ

100 mW
I have a Mac 8T, Cycle Analyst, half-twist throttle. All from em3ev.
More details on build here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61752
When I switch it on, it tries to move. Wants to add about 45-80 watts all by itself.
Did not do that before … just started.

Seems I saw something about this on here once, but I can't find it by searching.
Anybody have any quick tips or maybe can point me to another thread about this?

I bought the e-bike tester thingy from Paul when I ordered my kit - no idea what to do with it, though :lol:
I do have another throttle - should I just switch 'em out? I'm hoping it's just something simple that I'm missing.

Thanks!

-Slo

Yes, most likely a throttle problem. First try simply unplugging it and see if the problem goes away. If so, then most likely the throttle. If not, then something else is messed up. Try unplugging the CA next.

I went out to unplug the throttle - there are three little clips that connect to the CA: 2 black ones and a baby blue one.
I unplugged just one of the black ones and the problem seems solved. Throttle appears to work normally.
I'd hate to go to all the trouble of changing the throttle out if I can just leave this one clip undone!
I think I'll look up the CA manual and try to figure out what those wires do.

EDIT TO ADD:
Looks like that clip is for the Ebrake Cutoff.
I don't use that anyway. I'm using the stock brake levers and never really got how to use the hwbs (or whatever it's called) that came with the kit.
Also, I do NOT have any type of cruise control.
Since I'm not using the cutoff, is it OK to just leave that disconnected? Seems to fix the problem … of course, I'm still left wondering what is actually going on.

-Slo

That's how I run mine. I leave that disconnected.

It would be nice to know exactly what's going on though. Seems like the ground for the throttle is getting pulled up a bit or the CA is back feeding the throttle signal. Measuring the voltage from pack negative to the throttle wires with and without the ebrake line connected would tell most of the story.

I e-mailed Paul about it. He also told me that it's fine to leave that disconnected.
He added that it shouldn't make any difference. But it did!
Still curious, and after reading your reply, I went out to test that with my multi-meter.
I plugged the clip back in and ... nothing. It's not doing it now. Weird, right?!?
I wish all my problems took care of themselves this easily :)
I'm still going to run it the way you do: undone.

There may have been some kind of accidental connection that's intermittent. It could be bad if it comes back unexpectedly.

Back