Tidal Force : "The Long Ranger"

Got Motor... Box shipping look 8.5/10. BAD QC ALL THE frock AROUND. Disc brake is bent....... phase wire and hall wires are crushed. Yellow hall wire cut. Wire channel is so fuckin sharp I can slice deli meat with it. The magnets inside of motor are just as wide as a normal motor but they are centered in the casing. The stator is normal size also. Motor casing wider than a MOFO. Actually there is so much wasted space in the motor housing I could put double the magnets width wise and possibly sandwich another stator.Some spokes were loose. Nipples could be ran off with fingers. The screws on the cover all of them came out except one on both sides in the same exact spot.... They were stripped I had to dremel a slot so i could use a flat head to open. The stator looked like a magic pie stator with a 9C diameter. The phase wires were some BS 105C 16G shit... The sheath for the phase wire and hall wire stop outside the motor... it doesnt run into the channel or into the motor. It has wire channel similar to the X5 or HS HT... With some BS rubber seal that protected the wires but was easily deformed especially when removing the cover.Axle is 12mm... On a rear..(rolls eyes). I see a torque arm cutting through it like butter. It also appears there might have been a winding nicked in the factory and you can see the BS repair on both sides of the stator. Is a single strand thats twisted and soldered together on both side. One side was shrink wrapped the other side wasnt. The hall install looked very good. Heat shrink on the legs. Even if i spent the time fixing all of this im so disgusted at it that Im just gonna put it back together and call it a loss. I guess since I opened it it excludes a paypal buyer protection. Imma email the seller and sees what he says. I would gladly put it back together and ship it back but im so wanna wash my hands clear of this.... they got me. Avoid at all cost. Time to move on to something more concrete and reliable... might find myself in another 9C from ebike kit and call it a day.

Sux 'bout the motor but thanks for the follow up! Perhaps they're bored, 'figured they could copy the look of Crystallite?

Good luck with the battery qualifying. Looks like a good problem to have...

@icecube- I glad you are returned! Are you working on your new ebike this time since you had bad accident broke your arm.

Here is a picture of some of the defects I found. I check the bearings. They rough and have like little notches where it sticks when you spin it ... like if it was a ticking watch.... on both covers.

Attachments

• STA70975 (Small).JPG
    STA70975 (Small).JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 13,669
  • STA70980 (Small).JPG
    STA70980 (Small).JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 13,669
  • STA70982 (Small).JPG
    STA70982 (Small).JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 13,669
The more i look at the phase repair... it might be a loop of motor winding that they used to possibly dip the motor in varnish maybe maybe but it seems like the would have hung the motor on some type of hook and dipped it vs using this tiny wire... then also if this wire was used for hanging the stator why did they thread it through the teeth... it doesnt make since and why is shrink wrap on one end... im trying to make excuses but nothing logical comes to mine

Cycling my last pack. I already have the groups sorted out. Each 4P group has atleast 20.2AH according to the single pack discharge capacity test. Im going to do a full group discharge on each parallel section and confirm. Due to an error on my part Im not going to perma solder the packs together. I made a harness totally wrong. I was supposed to make a 4s 2p for somebody but I mad a 2s 4 P harness... so guess Imma have run my pack just like my customers do. Atleast I finally get to walk in your shoes and test drive my harness. Today I also made a 4 to 1 JST Parallel Harness. Im going to have the pack paralleled at the balance taps and the mains but since I have two shady packs running my pack with this harness allows me to keep an eye on the shady packs and take it out of circulation and manually check it if it starts heading south.

To be honest with you guys even though i have like 100+ harnesses under my belt... I was scared as hell plugging these packs in ... especially the balance taps... lol I can only imagine how you guys feel when you get my stuff in the mail... It looks right lol.... Snap Crackle Pop.

Attachments

• STA70987 (Small).JPG
    STA70987 (Small).JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 13,645
  • STA70988 (Small).JPG
    STA70988 (Small).JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 13,642
Ok my weak pack cycle just finished.
I paired the following
Pack 13
Cell 2 Low
3.0v 4.510AH
Pack 3
Cell 1 Low
3.49v @5AH
3.0v 5.202AH
Pack 8
Cell 3 Low
3.41v @5AH
3.0v 5.134AH
Pack 16
Cell 1 Low
3.5v @5AH
3.0v 5.200AH
Total AH of all packs is 20.046AH @ 1C @ 5A

The pack cycled together as a whole at .25C @5A delivered 20.431AH with cell #2 being at 3v. At 20AH the lowest cell which was cell 2 was at 3.55v.

Im watching this pack but im happy with the results. The other packs should way higher I think at almost 21AH probably.

5A would be a hypermiling load or possibly even half that so its good that the pack can deliver if i ... really need it. Probably going to stay near 15-18AH tho as my tops.

Has anyone ever swapped the input wires on their i charger... umm mine are getting hot. Its onething to quickly charge a 5AH pack but im doing 30A and the charger is pulling 45A from one power supply. I think I may have to run both supplies so it can run at thalf the amps... has anyone upgraded their I charger input wiring.?

Hmm, have there been posts deleted ? I'm sure I posted here on friday...

Bummer about the motor, skinny magnets in a big fat hub, that's pretty poor form! I'd try your luck with the supplier. Don't mention you opened it and try for a refund on the basis of the bend disc and severed wires.
The only upside if you do decide to keep and use it is the extra width of the hub will provide more room for air to circulate around in there with the windings not jammed right up against the side covers (as is the case in the H35s)

LOL @ having no confidence in plugging in your own harnesses. What a sales pitch :lol:

Hyena said:
Hmm, have there been posts deleted ? I'm sure I posted here on friday...

Bummer about the motor, skinny magnets in a big fat hub, that's pretty poor form! I'd try your luck with the supplier. Don't mention you opened it and try for a refund on the basis of the bend disc and severed wires.
The only upside if you do decide to keep and use it is the extra width of the hub will provide more room for air to circulate around in there with the windings not jammed right up against the side covers (as is the case in the H35s)

LOL @ having no confidence in plugging in your own harnesses. What a sales pitch :lol:

I transfered from my Gm thread which isnt the bike i was ressurecting so i copy all that i could and transfered it here.

I just finally completed testing all batteries individually and in their final groups.

Pack 1
20.431AH @3v
Pack 2
20.515AH @3v
Pack 3
20.776AH @3v
Pack 4
20.622AH @3v
Pack 5
20.605AH @3v

I must find external discharge resistors to do future discharge tests. My i charger prob hates me now for testing all these pack. I also found out that although my power supplies can deliver the current needed to the icharger at 12v.... The input wires and the charger run hot as frock.... 50A continuous load. But if I run at 24v no where near the heat and if im charging all packs in parallel that would be 100AH and I dont think the charger can take it... I suppose I could reduce the charger output to 15A if i wanted to use 1 power supply and that would reduce the input current to 25A but cmon who does that.

Im also talking with jason @ ebike kit to get a new motor.Hopefully I can scratch his back and he scratch my back and we work something out. I messaged the ebay vendor twice now... still no reply.... I found some more defects. One was there is play in the freewheel... It has a wobble in it. There is also the bearing issue in both side covers... the both have "catches in them to where they stick while rotating... also i tried to remove the disc brake so i can take a picture and prove that its bent to add to the evidence but there are two stripped screw so i cant remove it... gotta dremel slots into that so I can remove it.... dealing with all of this and cycling batteries and making harnesses... ugh... that damn power supply fan is annoying when its under load.. you can hear it across the house... if you try to stop it it faults the power supply... damnit....

I also need to find a ground isolator for my usb cable.... im having a problem logging at 24v with both supplies in series.. with one plugged into the charger there is no problem....

I got a WTF picture for you guys....

Attachments

• STA71027 (Small).JPG
    STA71027 (Small).JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 13,533
icecube57 said:
I got a WTF picture for you guys....

Oops, not exactly confidence inspiring, eh? Seeing that helps me appreciate old rim hydro brake more than ever!

icecube57 said:
Found a top frame bag that should shift alittle weight forward and it fits 12 packs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-bag-Bicycl ... 4167219522

Icecube, did you get this bag?

Its a bit small at 170 x 125 x 50mm but could be just enough to squeeze in 4 Turnigy 6s 5ah lipo packs (2 per side). The Turnigy Lipo packs are around 150 x 50 x 50mm each so it would be tight. I'll measure my top tube tonight, but I think you could possibly fit 3 of those bags back to back on the top tube for 24s3p or 18s4p.

El_Steak said:
icecube57 said:
Found a top frame bag that should shift alittle weight forward and it fits 12 packs.

Its a bit small at 170 x 125 x 50mm but could be just enough to squeeze in 4 Turnigy 6s 5ah lipo packs (2 per side). The Turnigy Lipo packs are around 150 x 50 x 50mm each so it would be tight. I'll measure my top tube tonight, but I think you could possibly fit 3 of those bags back to back on the top tube for 24s3p or 18s4p.

I got my top tube bag in and they are very small. I could only fit two length wise and still the top will not velco. 3 could fit standing up.. it damn sure wouldnt close and there is a risk of it falling out. I tould be great for carrying a 44v 10AH pack or if you have two... a 20AHA pack

I got my rear panniers in. I must say I do like it. them. Plenty of room for all my packs. They sit low below the rack level. I will take pictures later.

Sorry for your misfortune with the motor, but the picture of the really wide case and tiny little magnets had me laughing a little. China, where quality is job #3234982352 and profit is #1! Don't really know what to say about the disc brake and the case bending like that. Seems like China has cornered the market on pot metal.

Such a shame. They built that motor hoping to scam people would be my bet. Your ebay links don't work, but what kind of wattage rating did they give it and how much was it?

I'm always cautious dealing with most Chinese vendors unless it's small stuff or they have a good reputation. I've been to Hong Kong many times and have wondered the streets and shops and there is so much low quality imitation garbage it blows your mind. Most of it looks like it was designed to be used for a few minutes and then thrown away instead of building a usable product. It amazes me anyone would buy such crap, especially the shit imitation phones that look like Iphones or the higher end android phones.

When it comes to some stuff such as LiPo packs I'm willing to accept a 10% loss on an order because the price is good and they have been proven to be good, but so far I have been lucky and only suffered something like a 2% loss on all my packs and I replaced the one bad cell in the pack while also getting HK to refund me the money and let me keep the dud pack :)

Wow that's an epic fail on the motor case. It's definately made of CCA! (chinese cheese alloy)
I'd definately be getting onto the ebay vendor - take another picture of the case not showing your new phase wires and say it broke when you mounted it to the bike.
On the topic of the phase wires, it's annoying that it did break like that after you went to the trouble of upgrading the wires (which those of us who've done it know what a pain it is)

El_Steak said:

I got one too to try as they were only cheap but yeah, too small for 6S packs. I managed to shoe horn a 5S pack in there and looks like you *might* be able to squeeze in 2 per side but it's damn tight. They could be good for a small, short range pack - I reckon you could fit a 4S and 5S pack in each side for a 5ah 18S pack - or more comfortably 2x 4S packs aside for a 16S pack.

I have a partial refund of 110.75 . That is what I requested. The total of the motor was 256.45 So its minus shipping divided by half the cost of the auction. Im happy....no hard feelings for the main components of your bike just stick to reputable vendors.

I just bought 2 turnigy hardcase packs to replace my low capacity duds.

The torch handle bar holder was a plastic POS from china. I bought amuch better one in the states for like 6 bucks.

The bags are in. The top tube bag is very small but its good for holding maybe a multi tool or something. They barely fit (4) 4s hardcase packs... I cant close the top.

The rear bag is a funky shape... it rounds at the back. I may have to get some high density foam to create a level platform in the bottom of the bag. Home Depot a trash bag.... and great stuff expanding foam is in order. Get a rough mold and saw to size. Or find another bag with a flat bottom.

Here is a picture of all my bags. They were cheap and i may have to purchase a new set. My rear pannier bag has a weird rounded bottom. I would like a square bottom like the one pictured here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Basil-Mara-XL-Rear-Double-Pannier-Bag-Water-Resistant-35L-Bike-Bicycle-/120944715661?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c28dde78d#ht_500wt_945

So I may be getting rid of these two bags for cheap. They auction dimension were very wrong in comparison to what i got.

Attachments

• STA71028 (Small).JPG
    STA71028 (Small).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 13,229
  • STA71029 (Small).JPG
    STA71029 (Small).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 13,229
  • STA71031 (Small).JPG
    STA71031 (Small).JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 13,229
  • STA71032 (Small).JPG
    STA71032 (Small).JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 13,229
  • STA71033 (Small).JPG
    STA71033 (Small).JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 13,229
  • STA71034 (Small).JPG
    STA71034 (Small).JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 13,229
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120944715661?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

icecube57 said:
Bought a new bag. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=280890584644&view=all&tid=874325666018

The link is dead!

Back