Time to Buy a New Computer. Want fast and reliable.

julesa said:
marty said:
julesa said:
x
* Needless to say, make sure all the fans are actually working
x
All these filters are full of DUST! There is not much dust inside the case. Do you think that intake filters clogged with dust could be causing all my problems?

Well.... unlikely unless they're really CLOGGED. Especially if reinstalling Windows really fixes the problem.

You said you've done that before, and it seems to fix the problem for a while... exactly how long has it gone, after a fresh Windows install, before you start seeing problems again? Problems always happen a few weeks after a clean install of windows. Different problem every time.

Have you noticed anything that happens every time problems come up? No demons are sneaky and nothing happens before problems appear.

Maybe your disk is slowly getting corrupted over time. Do you always shut the system down using the Start menu? Do you get a lot of power outages or brownouts? No don't shut computer down. Do restart about once a week or so. Computer runs all the time and acts as a big dust collector. Fans running all the time just suck dust into the intake filters. Yes I know that I am wasting electricity. Obama says we should all unplug our cell phone chargers when not using.

Hardly ever get power outages or brownouts?
Dust is gone. Could say "Dust in the Wind" Doing clean install right now. Boot from disk. I am typing on the old reliable Windows XP laptop. Toshiba laptop with a strange problem caused by static, carpets, and dry air in the winter time. Solved that one by putting some electrical tape over the speakers. Static was traveling from my hands to the speakers and causing the laptop to freeze up.

Julesa, Please see answers to your questions in RED.

julesa said:
x
* Turn down the CPU cycles in the BIOS if you can, might improve stability
x
Will try to figure out how to look the BIOS to see CPU cycles? Mother board is Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Here is a link to the mother board manual. 136 pages of fun reading.
http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/mb_manual_ga-x58a-ud3r_v2.0_e.pdf

Yeah, good luck with that reading. :)
Usually you can access the BIOS within about two seconds of when the system starts booting; you have to hit the ESC key, or the DEL key, or F1 or F8 or F10 or something like that. Every manufacturer is different. Those are the most common keys.

my computer sometimes will just shut down now for no reason. I'll click to shut a program off and it will just shut down. Anyone know why it does that? It only happens about once a month. I re-installed windows and it's still happening.

chekola,
If your computer has been working I would keep it. Add more ram. I copy from:
http://www.compaq.com
Compaq Presario SR2125UK Desktop PC
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3349278&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us
Memory upgrade information
Dual channel memory architecture
Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supports PC2 3200 (400 MHz), PC 4200 (533 MHz) and PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs
non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 4 GB*
32 bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

Is your Windows Vista 32-bit version or 64-bit version?

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Careful when buying used ram on eBay. I bought the wrong type for a old computer and it did not work.

marty said:
julesa said:
x
* Turn down the CPU cycles in the BIOS if you can, might improve stability
x
Mother board is Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Here is a link to the mother board manual. 136 pages of fun reading.
http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/mb_manual_ga-x58a-ud3r_v2.0_e.pdf
I copy some images from the mother board manual.
The Main Menu.gif
I assume the "CPU cycles" are in the MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.).gif
Where is the CPU cycle adjustment?
Processor is Intel® Core™ i7-930 Processor (8M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI) if that matters.

morph999 said:
my computer sometimes will just shut down now for no reason. I'll click to shut a program off and it will just shut down. Anyone know why it does that? It only happens about once a month. I re-installed windows and it's still happening.

Power off, disconect all wires, open case, remove cpu fan, clean heat sinks !!! ( If you have compress air, bonus, but DO NOT SPIN THE FAN WITH COMPRESSED AIR, PUT A PENCIL OR SOMETHING IN THE BLADES TO PREVENT THEM FROM SPINNING OR YOU WILL RUIN THE FAN, THEY ARE NOT MADE TO SPIN THAT FAST..

Most common cause of sudden shutdown problems. .. 2nd in line is a flaky power supply..

as said above ( i posted this before reading the entire thead .. :oops: .. sorry.. ) a fresh install of windows will run cooler as it's got less overhead, a system that has been running for months/yeas with patches, extra software, anti-virus, systray stuff, all take their toll and a machine that is barely running will crap itself once loaded up a bit..

like having dragging brake pads on your bike, watch your wh/mile go to hell ! :lol:

Cycles is just referring to processor clock speed. Try this:

Load Fail Safe Defaults
Save and Exit Setup

If that keeps your system stable for a while, you might eventually want to read up on Toms Hardware and overclockers.com (not to mention Reading The Fine Manual that came with your board) for some tips on how to tweak the settings of your specific hardware to improve performance while keeping stability.

"Load optimized defaults" will probably return your settings to the way they were set when you first built the system.

If that doesn't help, you could try opening a ticket with your motherboard vendor:
http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx?ck=2

I just cleaned out my heatsink and cpu fan. I don't think that was the problem though because it's the same temperature now as it was before I cleaned it. Hey, is it possible to lose RAM ? I think I started with 1 GB and now it says 894 mb so maybe it's corrupted memory? I'm pretty sure it didn't say 894 mb when I first got it...I don't think it did. When you get a 1GB RAM computer does it usually say 1 GB like in apps . I have a cleaner that cleans out my internet stuff and temp folders and it says 894 mb on it.

morph999 said:
Hey, is it possible to lose RAM ? I think I started with 1 GB and now it says 894 mb so maybe it's corrupted memory?
Yep, could be...

But ram can also be shared by your display system, reducing the amount reported as available.

julesa said:
Cycles is just referring to processor clock speed. Try this:

Load Fail Safe Defaults
Save and Exit Setup

If that keeps your system stable for a while, you might eventually want to read up on Toms Hardware and overclockers.com (not to mention Reading The Fine Manual that came with your board) for some tips on how to tweak the settings of your specific hardware to improve performance while keeping stability.

"Load optimized defaults" will probably return your settings to the way they were set when you first built the system.

If that doesn't help, you could try opening a ticket with your motherboard vendor:
http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx?ck=2
Load Fail Safe Defaults is the way its always been. I never changed anything. Will continue learning about "processor clock speed".
Thanks for the help!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Edit / Correction...... BIOS might have been set to Load Optimized Defaults? Just changed it to Load Fail-Safe Defaults as you recommend. Sorry about that.

Big home made computer update:
Reinstalled Windows 7 (for the last time!) installed SP1
Downloaded latest drivers for the mother board, video card, fax modem, monitor, and printer. Installed all the drivers and the printer.
Installing programs as needed. Going to try out a new email program - Mozilla Thunderbird
Going to do more research on Julesa's suggestion of lowering the processor clock speed. Wondering if this computer is so fast that it is tripping over it's self?
As of today - No problems :D

Ypedal said:
Fax Modem ? :eek:
Yea send a fax right out of the computer with no paper. Need a phone jack for that. I got [Zoom 3030 Modem] Windows Fax and Scan program comes with Windows 7. Windows XP had a similar program that did not install by default. You had to get the disk, go to add remove programs and install the fax program.
3030-short-.jpg

good luck when something breaks down on that Dell.

One word, Proprietary components.

Oh Power Supply blew? Wanna replace it? Sorry, DELL PS only, no third party will interface with it. Price? oh about 3 times a third party performance PS would cost you.

Motherboards done? Sorry, DELL ONLY! The tower/motherboards combo will only mate with each other...and again, u dont wanna know what the cost of replacement is.

basically what i call "system killers" The Motherboard/Power supply etc etc are proprietary, so if for whatever reason they fail, the cost of replacements would cost so much it would be better to yank out the video card (if it isnt built in), hard drives etc etc and start from scratch.

I have and continue to build PC's from scratch for myself and for my friends, family.

TO be honest, your PC turning off sounds hardware related, NOT software related. I had a friend with same problem, it would run for a bit and then restart itself. Turns out the CPU heatsink wasnt seated properly and the CPU was cooking.

Intels run hotter, thats a proven fact, so maybe go into bios or download software to monitor your CPU temperature? Maybe download torture testing software to stress out the components and see whether the PC shuts off with nothing running other than that software? Thats how when i was into overclocking we stress tested for reliability. Cuz we could overclock like mad but it would only be stable for a bit in idle, as soon as you started playing video games....system crash!

BTW, if u want the ultimate quiet PC, go watercooling... I water cooled my original power rig back in 2004 and it has been dead reliable ever since. I've transfered the system from upgrade to upgrade and its always been great!

Red_Liner740 said:

Oh Power Supply blew? Wanna replace it? Sorry, DELL PS only, no third party will interface with it. Price? oh about 3 times a third party performance PS would cost you.

Motherboards done? Sorry, DELL ONLY! The tower/motherboards combo will only mate with each other...and again, u dont wanna know what the cost of replacement is.

basically what i call "system killers" The Motherboard/Power supply etc etc are proprietary, so if for whatever reason they fail, the cost of replacements would cost so much it would be better to yank out the video card (if it isnt built in), hard drives etc etc and start from scratch.

That's true. They do use proprietary components, and on those rare occasions when they fail, they usually do so within the warranty period. But speaking as someone who has built hundreds of computers from components, I can tell you that you're ten times more likely to have trouble with a privately assembled system, than with a Dell or HP proprietary computer that has had extensive cross compatibility testing between all components, hours of burn in testing, and thousands of other computers *built with the exact same limited set of proprietary components* so the manufacturer can identify and find a solution for any serious problems while it's in the warranty period.

If it does have hardware problems, they are likely to show up in the first year, while the warranty is still valid, and during that time the manufacturer has to take responsibility for the whole thing. When there's a situation where the motherboard manufacturer claims it's the video card's fault, and the video card manufacturer claims it's the motherboard's fault, it doesn't matter because Dell has to take responsibility for dealing with it.

If it fails in the first year, repair is free. If it fails after three years, you're probably not gonna buy the proprietary Dell-brand power supply anyway, because by then it will make more sense to buy a new, far more powerful, computer than to repair the old one.

Just so it's perfectly clear: I am not a huge Dell fan. They're OK, but I like HP a lot better than I like Dell. I like Dell better than Gateway or a lot of the other PC manufacturers, but HP makes better computers. You pay a little more for them, of course, but there comes a point where you just want the damn thing to work fast and reliably. HP knows how to do that, so it's worth paying them a few extra bucks. Most of us have better things to do with our time than troubleshoot hardware problems.

We support Dell mini-tower systems at work, for what people put them thru in warehouses ( dedicated shipping systems, label processing and printing.. ) way better than the Compaq boxes that we had prior ... and are now going to Lenovo full towers..

Dell monitors drop like flies, i get about a dozen service calls on them per week.. ( on a 5000 system pool, x 13 agents... that's a large failure rate !! )

but the Dell systems are pretty solid..

Ypedal said:
We support Dell mini-tower systems at work, for what people put them thru in warehouses ( dedicated shipping systems, label processing and printing.. ) way better than the Compaq boxes that we had prior ... and are now going to Lenovo full towers..

Dell monitors drop like flies, i get about a dozen service calls on them per week.. ( on a 5000 system pool, x 13 agents... that's a large failure rate !! )

I got a broke Dell E173FPB monitor. It works for a few seconds then goes black. Any one want a repair project?

Ypedal said:

I think we quit ordering from Dell when we got a shipment of small form factor units (all the exact same model number, they were all supposed to be identical), and when we were imaging them we found about 1/3 failed QC because they needed a different video driver... because they had a different video chipset. This was about three years ago, I think.

I've heard a lot of good things about Lenovos. Not a lot of experience with them myself, but they look really nice.

how about e-machines? avoid them?

Red_Liner740 said:

I think that's two words.

I have replaced Dell parts with generic, I do it all the time for my church. It may take a bit of work, but it can be done.

Now the SFF machines are a different story, for ALL manufacturers, that's why I don't use them at church.

I have even replaced the motherboards with other brands. Three "Dell" PCs at the church use Asus motherboards. Once you figure out the Dell connectors it's no big deal.

Ypedal said:
E-machines are bottom feeders, they are the ultrafire of the computer world, if you only neeed a bare minimum internet machine, they can be ok, but don't expect much, and usually not very upgradable....

I have repaired many E-machines and found what looked like refurbished parts in them. If you have the chance to get one, run away. The only thing they're good for is parts.

Back