ToSeven DM01 Set Up Questions

appaholic

100 µW
Hey Folks - my apologies, but I could not find this specific question in another thread.

I've given up trying to maintain, or make sense of, the unreliability of Tongsheng. I've dumped too much money and more importantly, missed too much time on trails for various TSDZ2 issues.

So I've purchased and installed ToSeven DM01. It's a 48v 750w and I purchased Hailong 52v 20ahm battery afterwards. I've installed and ridden twice. I cannot get the settings to perform properly. 1st time I rode it was with 48v 13ahm battery and seemed underpowered, so I added the 52v 20ahm. But still not running well.

My question - does anyone have a list of proper motor settings on all controller screens for DM01? I suck at understanding electrical logic. I'm seeking a ride like TSDZ2 with same responsiveness of PAS. I've been tweaking settings hoping to stumble upon right set up, but making worse. I don't care about the shift sensor and am not utilizing the shift sensor (tied to frame). I just want a consistent performance with pedal assist when pressure hits pedal.

Any help available? Would be greatly appreciated...

Go to advanced settings. Set max amperage for Eco , city , sport profiles to max allowed value (30A for 1000W version, 26A for 750W). Next go to power levels and set everywhere to 100%. Speed limit raise to max allowed value (99km/h)

Ps. Where did you buy your dm01 motor? What is the version of the firmware?

Last edited:
Hi - thank you for response. I purchased directly from ToSeven. Not sure of firmware. Here are pics. Also, I only ever have option of M1 or M2, not Eco, City or Sport...

Attachments

• 20240211_155824.jpg
    20240211_155824.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240211_155807.jpg
    20240211_155807.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
This is exactly what I was afraid of with these ToSevens. The motors themselves seem robust enough, but the firmware and torque sensor? Who knows? Glad to see someone getting one on here to test out and report and so the bugs can get worked out. Glad that it is the OP taking one for the team.

You have latest firmware Because m1/m2 was introduced this year. Can you post pics showing your settings in power modes section?

If it helps, someone just posted the DM01 / DM02 T24 display manuals. I haven't read them (and don't have one of these systems) so I don't know if they have the info you're after.

If it helps, someone just posted the DM01 / DM02 T24 display manuals. I haven't read them (and don't have one of these systems) so I don't know if they have the info you're after.

ToSeven sent out DM02 kits with no documentation? What happened to that thread started by the ToSeven sales guy who was accused of using AI?

What happened to that thread started by the ToSeven sales guy who was accused of using AI?
Still there AFAIK, no one has done anything to it.

But that doesn't have anything to do with the one I linked other than they're for the same systems.

Attachments

• 20240212_215947.jpg
    20240212_215947.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 20240212_220017.jpg
    20240212_220017.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 20240212_220029.jpg
    20240212_220029.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240212_220032.jpg
    20240212_220032.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
In comparision with Tongsheng, ToSeven has done a very good job with the mechanical developments of DM01 and DM02.
But the weakest point at the moment are the default settings of the controller firmware.
Changing the basic settings gives not always enough satisfactory motor operation, so changing some advanced settings could help.
It looks a good thing that the end user can change a lot of controller settings to improve the performance of the motor, but because of the overwhelming amount of advanced settings and the lack of a settings-overview makes it not easy to make these adjustments.

Also the wordwide availability of the DM motors is a weak point. There are almost no reliable sellers which are supported by Toseven, so mostly it is the best to buy directly from Toseven, but this is far from ideal.
So for a greater acceptance, it is necessary that Toseven works to improve these two things (FW and sales network) in time.

Last edited:
Exactly. People can knock the TSDZ2 and maybe also Photon, but those work fine right out of the box. You can install either of those kits and be riding around in a couple of hours. Sure, you can tweak them for your preferences but you don't have to do that to get a pretty satisfactory ride.

The bottom line is what are you looking for? A bike to ride and have fun or is your hobby more along the lines of trying to customize and tweak your motor? Maybe once the DMs get more out there some of you real tweakers here will develop a bulletproof settings scheme for others to emulate.

The other example is the Lightest Bike motor. Looks interesting but it seems like a real science project to install and set one up. And I have yet to see a report here of one actually installed and running. Only for the few hard core who want to take something like that on.

In comparision with Tongsheng, ToSeven has done a very good job with the mechanical developments of DM01 and DM02.
But the weakest point at the moment are the default settings of the controller firmware.
Changing the basic settings gives not always enough satisfactory motor operation, so changing some advanced settings could help.
It looks a good thing that the end user can change a lot of controller settings to improve the performance of the motor, but because of the overwhelming amount of advanced settings and the lack of a settings-overview makes it not easy to make these adjustments.

Also the wordwide availability of the DM motors is a weak point. There are almost no reliable sellers which are supported by Toseven, so mostly it is the best to buy directly from Toseven, but this is far from ideal.
So for a greater acceptance, it is necessary that Toseven works to improve these two things (FW and sales network) in time.

I jumped on the DM01 wagon....i am not sure why I did it, but I know that something in my brain is defective which makes me do questionable things from time to time..

I bought it directly from the factory thru the lovely and very polite Katherine. I have been invading her with questions over questions ever since and have repeatedly insisted on the necessity of a concise manual given the very much appreciated multitude of options in the settings ....

Lately she has not been replying anymore...I am still hoping she is catching up with what landed in her mailbox while she was absent during Chinese new year ..I am keeping my fingers crossed...

I did change a couple of settings and I am almost happy now...

Can you please mention what exactly is what you don't like about the performance?

First of all: M1 is torque sensing mode and M2 is speed sensing mode.

I don't like M2 at all. My aim is to do everything in M1.

One thing that I did not like right away was, that, when you stopped pedalling because speed was good and you just wanted to roll, when you then started to pedal again there was a lack of support..even if the interruption in pedalling was very short...support would be picking up only after a couple of rotations. Very annoying in some situations and sufficiently annoying in all situations.

Here i got immediately a very good advice: in the advanced menu, in the torque settings, go to "filter value" . In my case it was already down to 1 or 2 so I set it to zero and this really solved the problem totally.

That would actually have been enough would I not be living on the top of a rather steep hill.. I did change some settings and now I am able to get up with no problem although I still have the issue that the motor is not turning "round" when either cadence is low or pressure on the pedal is high.. this is an open question that I am still having with Katherine...I am still hoping for a reply .

I need to look into my settings if anyone has similar issues with high torque situations.

Before I changed the settings I was not able to get up the hill, unless I went to M2. It does the job but I hate it. Difficult to control.

Bottom line: I really like the DM01, it has good potential, and I am still hoping for a manual....it is crazy what some people believe to be common knowledge to any end user...I am a mechanical engineer, but I am not an E-Bike engineer....

Andy.

Last edited:
Many people complain about new firmware with M1(torque mode)/M2(cadence mode) modes. They most likely revert to old one which had ECO,CITY,SPORT modes. Did you get programming cable? If not then your are stuck.

Last edited:
I have the cable, but I am quite happy the way it is with respect to M1 (and M2)

I had the tsdz2 in a few versions before, with casainho OSF. There where no eco etc modes there either, I personally like it this way

What I am really missing are good instructions with explanations ....

They actually have an authorized aliexpress store that sells their motors, you can find the link to it from their website, so, you don't HAVE to buy through their website.

I've already made a purchase for the dm-01 and am currently waiting for it to arrive.

I have the cable, but I am quite happy the way it is with respect to M1 (and M2)

I had the tsdz2 in a few versions before, with casainho OSF. There where no eco etc modes there either, I personally like it this way

What I am really missing are good instructions with explanations ....
It is not about those profiles. Motor was generally working better with older firmware before introduction of M1/M2.
They even have dedicated form regarding firmware

It is not about those profiles. Motor was generally working better with older firmware before introduction of M1/M2.
They even have dedicated form regarding firmware
Oh...that is interesting! I don't know what to say...what does "better" mean? Maybe something else to everyone? I cannot comment on this since I got it this way ...If I knew what the specific differences in performance are according to the unhappy users, then I would have something to hold on to....but like this I feel it is too risky.....I am not sure about this whole Programm procedure here. If I trust it. Or better not ..

But many thanks for the heads up!

Interesting...I cannot see anything here in Germany...I was not aware that AliExpress offers are not available everywhere. Never mind, I have mine anyway...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240228_014520_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20240228_014520_AliExpress.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 10
Back