Trike Cargo Bike conversion with tsdz2 36v 250w

mike2587

10 µW
Hi all,
I am new to this forum, I've just found it searching for advices on a trike cargo conversion. I want to convert a trike cargo like the one attached in the picture (back 20" wheels and front 24" wheel, and 33t chainwheel), using a middle drive kit. The bike would be used by my mother every day on flat roads and 3-4 flyovers a day (10% slope); here in southern Italy the temperature does not drop below 0 °C and it doesn't rain so much. She would do 5-6 km a day, she doesn't need speed but only assistance to reduce fatigue and as much autonomy and torque as possible.
So I think I will go with a tsdz2 36v 250w middle drive motor and a 36v 15.6 Ah battery from ebay, considering the local laws that requires an ebike to have 250w and 25 kmh as limit, with no throttle command and pedal assist only. I just have few questions:
1) Is this kit suitable for this kind of usage?
2) Can I buy a generic 36v 15.6 Ah battery from ebay for this motor version?
3) My mother's cargo trike has v-brakes, is better to buy a coaster brake or a brake lever version?
4) If I'll buy this kit I'll buy a 34t chainwheel for the tsdz2 that originally comes with a 42t I think. Is it a good idea for having more torque right?
5) Should I consider the rain as a problem for the motor or the battery? Should I make all waterproof?
I've already looked for this info on the forum by using the search function, without luck. I really want to help my mother that is getting old and needs to reduce physical stress. Hope that someone can help me. Thank you.

Anybody? Sorry for the rush, but there is a deal on ebay that I don't want to lose, also my mother is kinda exhausted, I would like to convert the trike as soon as possible...

Should work fine, not climbing the alps. Even if she weighs a lot, 250w is plenty to reach the fastest safe speed on trikes like that, about 20 kph. Mid drive will help a lot if she weighs a lot.

Waterproof it best you can, like locating the controller sort of under the back of the seat, but ideally park it under a cover.

Re the battery, buy a good battery, that is made with quality cells. Don't buy the cheapest battery in china. I did, and it was not convenient to move out for a year while they rebuilt my house.

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean with locating the controller under the seat? Doesn't the tsdz2 have the controller inside the motor case? I can only see the motor case, display, brake levers and wires, if I look at the descriptions on the online shops.

Edit: I can confirm that the controller is integrated into the motor case and the latter is waterproof enough for rain and water splashes, from what I could read on this site. So the real concern would be the battery and the display but it seems that is waterproof too, unless you go under heavy rains. I have doubts about which battery to buy and from where (and how to make it waterproof), I can't be able to find an aswer, too many different opinions...

Edit 2: what about the brake lever or coaster version?

I will go with the brake lever version just to be extra safe, because I read that sometimes the tsdz2 doesn't cut the power immediately after you stop pedaling. For the battery I found these two battery packs with SAMSUNG INR18650-29E

from enerprof.de

https://enerprof.de/en/ebike-batteries/softpacks-in-bags/akkus-36v-10s/118/softpack-battery-36v-14-25ah-29e-in-roswheel-bag?c=100

from pswpower.com

http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2018-2v-sy7p

both shops have been mentioned in this forum many times, but the battery of the German shop is more expensive and is not so good estetically speaking, however it comes with that waterproof bag, while the one of the Chinese shop (that ships from Germany) doesn't look as trustable as the other shop, although it looks nice and cheap. I'm kinda undecided, any help please

I built one with the coaster brake in the rear, typically only one rear tire drives and brakes, so under skid breaking the trike pulls to a side. for easy installation id run a front hub motor. it kind of makes the trike like a 4x4 if your going up a loose gravely hill, 2 wheels are spinning under power not 1 tire.

Back