TSDZ2, blew the blue gear....

Bigwheel

1 kW
Until something that is torque assist and throttle able and not $4k I am stuck with the TSDZ2 system it seems. My first lasted 1000miles of pretty hard off road use/abuse until the weak bb bearings became unbearable to ride. My second one, $350 and easy to replace has about 500miles of the same but the other day the blue gear ate itself....

I do admit that it was a very strange situation that caused it in that I was following a sketchy elk trail here that started to really fade out and decided to turn around. Upon starting off I did my usual blip of the throttle and leg over routine and had just started to pedal and had let go of the throttle when my front end dove into a hummock of grass and I stopped dead in my tracks, probably never made it over 3mph so no harm there.

Got back on track and went to blip the throttle and bzzzzzzzzzzzz. I knew immediately what it was but it took a minute to process the info because it was so benign an action. Torque assist still worked, albeit with some crunching, at least enough to get me back to the barn with some time spent pushing back up over the hill. I had the brass gear from my first motor in stock so I installed it and although the motor is noisier I don't expect to have that issue again. But the bb bearings I do expect to fail.....

Bigwheel said:
Until something that is torque assist and throttle able and not $4k I am stuck with the TSDZ2 system it seems.
There are 3 other torque sensing PAS kits under $4k mentioned on the wiki:

https://yerbamate.dev/xtinctionRebeller/ebike_building/wiki/Aftermarket-mid-drive-motor-kits-%28comparison%29

Not really sure why you chose a TSDZ2 to do hardcore riding on elk trails. I would think there are better options. You would be better off with a frame that has a motor mount if you are an aggressive rider, or a hub motor perhaps.

Fit the Freeware available and the Blue gear problem disappears, well I haven't had to change mine since going over. The only time I blew the blue gear was self induced and pushing the motor to do something it was never designed for.

There's an awful lot of us doing off road without problems with the bearings on the BB, we've done probably close to 2500 miles between us and we are in the heavyweight rider, steep and knarly trails. Anyway those bearing are relatively easy and cheap to replace.

The Bafung BBS02 is a great reliable motor and if you program it yourself to your requirements and just looking to beat up and down trails, is not far off a torque based motor.

Bigwheel said:
Until something that is torque assist and throttle able and not $4k I am stuck with the TSDZ2 system it seems. My first lasted 1000miles of pretty hard off road use/abuse until the weak bb bearings became unbearable to ride. My second one, $350 and easy to replace has about 500miles of the same but the other day the blue gear ate itself....

I do admit that it was a very strange situation that caused it in that I was following a sketchy elk trail here that started to really fade out and decided to turn around. Upon starting off I did my usual blip of the throttle and leg over routine and had just started to pedal and had let go of the throttle when my front end dove into a hummock of grass and I stopped dead in my tracks, probably never made it over 3mph so no harm there.

Got back on track and went to blip the throttle and bzzzzzzzzzzzz. I knew immediately what it was but it took a minute to process the info because it was so benign an action. Torque assist still worked, albeit with some crunching, at least enough to get me back to the barn with some time spent pushing back up over the hill. I had the brass gear from my first motor in stock so I installed it and although the motor is noisier I don't expect to have that issue again. But the bb bearings I do expect to fail.....
Install our developed OpenSource firmware that has features to help protect the blue gear: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki

Install our developed OpenSource firmware that has features to help protect the blue gear: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki
[/quote]

I just received a kit that is set up with the OS firmware for another bike build, I'll look for those features.

Back