Unrecognized error in 72150 when applying brake

cvctiger

1 mW
I have 72150 Sabvoton and recently got the “unrecognized error” along with the e-brake not working when I press both levers. Brake sensors do work since the brake lights do come on. Saw frayed wiring that connected the yellow brake wire from controller to the brake lever sensors and resoldered that connection. Then checked the other related connections and they seem ok…ordered new wiring connections to solder.

Attachments

• IMG_3992.png
    IMG_3992.png
    461.5 KB · Views: 11
I have 72150 Sabvoton and recently got the “unrecognized error” along with the e-brake not working when I press both levers. Brake sensors do work since the brake lights do come on. Saw frayed wiring that connected the yellow brake wire from controller to the brake lever sensors and resoldered that connection. Then checked the other related connections and they seem ok…ordered new wiring connections to solder.

What was your specific question / problem? (your post sounds like it was resolved, but the post is in Ebike Troubleshooting?)

Problem not resolved even when I resoldered the wiring and reset controller. The issue is every time I applied brake I get “unrecognized error” in my app and when the e-brake function is on I get no e-brake before I apply full brake. This was functioning properly before. Also have issue with regen which also used to work. Now when I let go of throttle it doesn’t slow down, this shows no error. Both these functions worked now they don’t I checked all my wiring and made sure all my connections are good even with new wires/connectors…I even reset my controller and did the hall test and no errors….Please HELP!

No one has any input on this issue? Last thing I want to do is purchase a new controller and then find out later down the line it is a simple fix. Again when I press the brakes whether ebrake or standard brake the app shows “unrecognized fault” I even cut out the of wiring and soldered in new wiring for the brake switches/sensor. Another issue I have is the regeneration also does not work and it worked before. I checked the wiring that is all related to throttle and also checked the motor wires and conducted the hall sensor test in the app and no signs of errors……

I am attaching screenshots of my BMS settings along with my controller settings. If someone can see that there are certain parameters that need to be adjusted to make e-brake/regen to work again let me know what needs to be adjusted in the controller and to what numbers….since I did a reset with the controller I may have entered some setting numbers correctly but may be have some set incorrectly? The black screen is the controller settings the other is battery BMS.

Attachments

• IMG_4021.png
    IMG_4021.png
    443.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4022.png
    IMG_4022.png
    413.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4023.png
    IMG_4023.png
    382.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4018.png
    IMG_4018.png
    308 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4019.png
    IMG_4019.png
    316 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4020.png
    IMG_4020.png
    329.6 KB · Views: 8
The regen probably doesn't work because the controller sees a fault with the brake signal.

If no settings were changed to cause the problem, then there's no setting to change to fix it.

If the frayed wiring shorted something to something else, it's possible the controller has damage internally on the brake lines, or a voltage supply to the brake line, etc.

Are you using high brake or low brake, if the controller has both options?

What voltage do you read from battery negative to ebrake "ground" with the brake lever not engaged?
What voltage do you read from battery negative to ebrake "ground" with the brake lever engaged?
What voltage do you read from battery negative to ebrake signal with the brake lever not engaged?
What voltage do you read from battery negative to ebrake signal with the brake lever engaged?

"ground" above means whichever wire is not the signal wire; in high brake mode this is usually a 12v or higher voltage supply. In low brake mode this is usually actual system ground, which should be identical to battery negative.

In either case the signal should change when the lever is pulled. Low brake will usually have about 5v on the signal until you pull hte lever, when it will drop to ground. High brake will usually have no voltage on the signal until you pull the lever, when it wiil rise to the supplied voltage on the other wire.

Does the controller app have a screen that shows you the state of the inputs? So you can see the actual throttle voltage, and the actual state of the brake input?

12v when not pulled 0 when pulled on one lever and close to 1V when I pull on the other. When the lever I pull that shows 0 it pops up “unrecognized fault” when I pull on the one that shows close to 1v sometimes it doesn’t show the fault or even show “e-brake” and the “unrecognized fault” will pop up when it does show of course. The levers seem ok because both trigger the brake light…but then again on the sensor side ai dunno? The app does show when the brake is pressed and when regen is active, when I press the brake lever it shows “unrecognized fault” when I let go it disappears. When regen shows that it is active there is no fault message it remains “fault free”

Last edited:
The fact that each lever gives different results is potentially helpful.

What happens if you disconnect the lever that shows the fault from the system entirely, and only use the lever that sometimes works?

What happens if you disconnect hte lever that sometimes works, and only use the lever that faults?

Are the brake lights powered directly from the levers? Or from an output on the controller, triggered by something internal on the controller itself? Or do they have their own power supply, and only triggered by the levers / controller?

If the first or third, and are LED rather than incandescent, then they could work even if the switch wasn't working quite right, as the current to drive them would be low--they also wouldn't be susceptible to switch bounce or other intermittent-contact issues; you'd see a steady light even with that in most cases--but the controller could detect such a problem and could be designed to show a fault and not accept such a noisy signal.

If the second, then the controller is actually accepting the signal, and correctly triggering the brake light, but has some software portion that processes the brake / regen signal differently before sending to the motor control, and that part could be corrupted or buggy, or just doing the same as the first and rejecting the signal even though it does accept it for the brake light.

The regen probably doesn't work because the controller sees a fault with the brake signal.

If no settings were changed to cause the problem, then there's no setting to change to fix it.

If the frayed wiring shorted something to something else, it's possible the controller has damage internally on the brake lines, or a voltage supply to the brake line, etc.

Are you using high brake or low brake, if the controller has both options?

What voltage do you read from battery negative to ebrake "ground" with the brake lever not engaged?
What voltage do you read from battery negative to ebrake "ground" with the brake lever engaged?
What voltage do you read from battery negative to ebrake signal with the brake lever not engaged?
What voltage do you read from battery negative to ebrake signal with the brake lever engaged?

"ground" above means whichever wire is not the signal wire; in high brake mode this is usually a 12v or higher voltage supply. In low brake mode this is usually actual system ground, which should be identical to battery negative.

In either case the signal should change when the lever is pulled. Low brake will usually have about 5v on the signal until you pull hte lever, when it will drop to ground. High brake will usually have no voltage on the signal until you pull the lever, when it wiil rise to the supplied voltage on the other wire.

Does the controller app have a screen that shows you the state of the inputs? So you can see the actual throttle voltage, and the actual state of the brake inpu

The fact that each lever gives different results is potentially helpful.

What happens if you disconnect the lever that shows the fault from the system entirely, and only use the lever that sometimes works?

What happens if you disconnect hte lever that sometimes works, and only use the lever that faults?

Are the brake lights powered directly from the levers? Or from an output on the controller, triggered by something internal on the controller itself? Or do they have their own power supply, and only triggered by the levers / controller?

If the first or third, and are LED rather than incandescent, then they could work even if the switch wasn't working quite right, as the current to drive them would be low--they also wouldn't be susceptible to switch bounce or other intermittent-contact issues; you'd see a steady light even with that in most cases--but the controller could detect such a problem and could be designed to show a fault and not accept such a noisy signal.

If the second, then the controller is actually accepting the signal, and correctly triggering the brake light, but has some software portion that processes the brake / regen signal differently before sending to the motor control, and that part could be corrupted or buggy, or just doing the same as the first and rejecting the signal even though it does accept it for the brake light.
Regardless of leaving the “fault” lever connected or unconnected and pressing on the lever that occasionally shows the fault when I press it the motor does not e-brake. The brake light I believe is wired separately and I did disconnect it to see if that was a cause as well but it still showed even though I disconnected it.

The other thing is I tested both brake levers for continuity and they seem fine when I press on them and the multimeter shows they have continuity and the brake light lights up as well for both.

Did you change the brake light led recently?

Some of the cheaper LEDs can cause faults like this and need an additional blocking diode fitted.

It would be worth disconnecting the brake light and testing again to see if the fault disappears. I had a fault recently using cheap LEDs where the headlight would come on with the stop lamp.

Last edited:
Ok this morning I attached a jumper to the brake sensor wires with no brake levers attached and it showed the “unfamiliar fault” in the app. So I would think it is not the brake levers and it cannot be the wiring I soldered? I’m assuming unless someone here tells me otherwise that I fried something in the controller. 🥵

I bought replacement controller, the same issues “unrecognized fault” appeared with new controller when I press brake. I have the brake lever sensor connected to the yellow brake sensor wire to controller and the negative directly to the controller. Also can someone with the same controller verify IF that message appears in the app when you press the brake as well?

Last edited:
Isn’t the yellow wire on the Sabvoton high brake, where it needs 12 volts to activate it?

From what you are saying you are trying to use it as low brake and applying 0v to it, which may be causing the unrecognised fault.

Last edited:
Isn’t the yellow wire on the Sabvoton high brake, where it needs 12 volts to activate it?

From what you are saying you are trying to use it as low brake and applying 0v to it, which may be causing the unrecognised fault.
I did not wire this incorrectly the brake lever switch is suppposed to be hooked up to the yellow and negative wire. Regardless of having the ebrake on/off it still has that error pop up. If you look up the wiring diagram someone posted you will see I have done it correctly and I had this setup since day one and just recently encountered this issue. I have gone through ALL my wiring and made sure no connections were crossed or disconnected…..I went as far as resoldering NEW wires just in case.

Has your yellow wire got a label on that says either high brake or low brake?

Different suppliers of these controllers have different wiring configurations. My Sabvoton for example only has low brake inputs and no provision for high brake.

So you can’t always follow the wiring colour codes on a diagram that someone else has posted.

Last edited:
Has your yellow wire got a label on that says either high brake or low brake?

Different suppliers of these controllers have different wiring configurations. My Sabvoton for example only has low brake inputs and no provision for high brake.

So you can’t always follow the wiring colour codes on a diagram that someone else has posted.
Low

I unhooked EVERYTHING that was basically 12v except the brake sensor wiring because I know those are good….I left the motor/hall wires connected….disconnected the gear selector switch. I even reset the controller back to factory settings and adjusted every setting I knew to change one by one to see if it affected it. All the same “unrecognized fault” when I press the brake levers.

Back