Using Crystalyte H35 series with 16 inch wheel

billvon

1 MW
I have a trailer I'd like to convert to a pusher. It uses a 16 inch wheel (it's the Bob Ibex) and ideally I'd like to use a Crystalyte H35 motor. It physically fits - inner diameter of wheel is 292mm and outer diameter of motor is 248mm - but it seems pretty clear that conventional spokes won't work, with about an inch of clearance between the rim and the motor.

My first thought was to drill out more of the spoke holes in the motor, then use a lot of U-shaped sections of aluminum to "bridge the gap" using bolts on both the motor and through the spoke holes of a 16mm rim. But that sounds very inelegant. Has anyone else tried something like this?

I'd just make a two-piece adapter "ring" between the rim and the flange.

The ring would have threaded holes that line up with the nipple holes in the rim, for screws to go in to hold it to the rim.

Then there would be threaded holes in the ring that line up with the spoke flange holes, for screws to go in to hold it to the motor.

It'd be a nearly solid piece of metal, so it could be heavy, but if it's aluminum it wouldn't be so bad. The hard part is making the adapter.

It could also be made as a bunch of sections, instead of two solid sections. That would be lighter; possibly easier to machine. .

Back